Salvia divinorum Addictive?

Discussion in 'Salvia divinorum' started by Karenloves420, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Karenloves420

Karenloves420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    44 y/o
    Hi do you guys think Salvia can be addictive ?

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Salvia is not physically addictive. And the very nature of the experience precludes abuse. Someone with an addictive personality disorder could, possibly, end up abusing it. But it would have to someone who also could get addicted to spinning around on their toes until they puke from being dizzy, or hanging themselves by the neck to get an orgasm.

3. Montgolfier

Montgolfier Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I disagree, I found Salvia to be very addictive at one time, to the point that I started to get paranoid on trips that the headshops were lacing the extract with opiates or something!

SWIM'S use has decreased now to once every two or three months as a special treat and he finds that much more manageable. Unless you are of extremely sound mind regular use over a long period of time starts to erode the walls or reality, infact reality can become some sort of 'questionable floppy sponge' - not a great idea! :)

As with any psychedelic, use should be limited to allow time for the information gained to be processed correctly
    :)

4. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
  5. Montgolfier

Montgolfier Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  6. fluid_lightning

fluid_lightning Newbie

Reputation Points:
    The profoundness and terror SWIM associates with a good salvia experience stops SWIM from wanting to use it too often. Low doses of salvia give nice buzzes, but SWIM never had any physical yearnings for salvia as he did for tobacco when he used to smoke tobacco. Even though SWIM grows it himself, I find that a breakthrough dose every year or so is about as useful as Salvia can be.

7. vitriol

vitriol Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from croatia
    Well, Salvia is working through kappa opioid receptors. The addiction forming drugs works through mu and delta, expecialy mu opiate receptors (morfin and its derivates, etc.). Stimulation of kappa receptors discurage the opioid type of addiction. Al least, the physical addiction.

8. plantshaman

plantshaman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    If one finds the salvia experience to be positive , healing , helpful, pleasurable etc then maybe there could be a mental addiction with low dosses but its unlikely to last very long. Most people who use salvia find it interesting but scary/ unpleasant . Even the few people who enjoy the experience usualy have something unpleasant happen now and then.This unpredictable and wild intensity means most people will not get addicted.

Once you start getting into higher dosses of salvia the effects get much more interesting but have the potential for a very scary ride. Some brave people may return repeatedly because its just so interesting. I support anyone willing to go big in order to help bring back insight for the community.

In conclusion low dose salvia has a small chance for chronic use/abuse but is unlikely to be long term . High dose salvia has almost no possibility to lead to chronic long term use/abuse.

Besides , addiction to plants isn't all bad lol. The only problem i see with opium addiction etc is that the stash will run out and its hard to work when your in a sleepy daydream. If i was retired and had an endless stash i'd move to mexico and get addicted to all sorts of things :)

9. Angel_Ashes

Angel_Ashes Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Salvia has an addictive type personality on SWIM. I think it's because I feel as if she HAS to find out what it means or what it is.... I have to understand it. So SWIM keeps doing it over and over. As soon as the trip ends, I want to know/see more!