scales

Discussion in 'Research Chemicals' started by acolon_5, Oct 11, 2005.

1. acolon_5

acolon_5 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Maryland, U.S.A.
    First off, yes I did search first. Can anyone tell me a good scale that would work, for example, for rc's that is not hundreds of dollars?

Thanks

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Tanita. About $200. Reads to 2mg. Type Tanita into the search engine. You can find cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

3. blindpanda_eric

blindpanda_eric Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Its been said before, I'll say it here. If you can't afford a good scale, you can't afford a RC.

4. Solidly-here

Solidly-here Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    A few Threads to read about Cheap Scales.

I do not know what you searched for already, but there is quite a bit a Scale info in the Forum. I am pleased with my GemPro 50.

If you want a lot of info (and about several different scales), try the Thread: "Cheap mg scales any good?"

Some good info about weighing (and which scales are good at doing it) is at: "Weighing Methods for Beginners". Also try: "Measuring RCs."

Another Thread which contains some good Scale info is: "How do you all Measure your Doses?"

5. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Buyer Beware. Many of those cheap "bargains" are crap. Go with something people swear by. Better to buy something that costs more the first time, than end up with a box of cheap, broken scales. Edited by: Alfa

6. acolon_5

acolon_5 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Maryland, U.S.A.
    Yes I did read the posts about the Tantia and there was much decrepency on its accuracy. I don't mind spending some money as I want to know how much I am ingesting.......I have already purchased 2 scales from ebay and they were crap.....(lol box of broken scales, yup, yup) I did in fact read both Cheap Scales any Good. AND WEIGHING METHODS FOR BEGINERS..but I am not looking for a cheapie, something mid-range and I am not having much luck with the google-- they are either the cheapies or are like $2000 (that is just to damn much for me) Thanks for the info EVERONE. I do appreciate it.....Will keep looking and reading the posts (man there is good info here)

7. acolon_5

acolon_5 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Maryland, U.S.A.
    OK then....thanks everyone for the vote of confidence on the Tantia...I will scrap my other CRAPY scales and get something that will work......

8. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    a tasty margarita, senorita named Tanita, she be a good (out)lay worth the pesos and piece of mind and free of VD.

Tanita, ma senorita, senor you better treat her with respect, comprende padron?

9. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I love it when someone asks me for help in getting ready for "a date." So they are groomed and spit-polished. Their language skills improved to the level of a valedictorian. Nails manicured. Refined topics of conversation rehearsed. Then they are off for the big date...only to return with a 300 pound pig, with dried vomit on it's blouse,gorging itself on cheesecakes it keeps in abundance in a freezer at it's trailer-park, chugging a warm Budweiser.

So I love it when someone asks me for help...

10. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hard to find the tanita these days. Found one at about $265 which is
    purported to be better

Acculab VIC-123

accurate to 0.001 g

Snapper

11. Solidly-here

Solidly-here Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    How hard is it to find a best-selling precision Scale?

"Hard to find the tanita these days." A quick trip to Google provided several companies which sell the Tanita scales. Where have you been looking, snapper?

Then you said: "Found one at about $265 which is
    purported to be better."
    What makes you think that the Acculab is better than the Tanita? There are several factors which could make one better than another (including, durability, or easier to use). Well anyway, what did you hear about the Acculab?

12. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I bought my Tanita 1210-50 for a hair under $200US. I now return to the place I got it and find it priced thus:

MSRP: $350.00
    YOU PAY $999.00

Well I never!

*edit - Found two places straight off google at $199+ for this. Where these clowns are getting $999.00 from is beyong comprhension. Guess they don't want any customers, or they are selling to the Pentagon.Edited by: nagognog2

13. acolon_5

acolon_5 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Maryland, U.S.A.
    I am still quite happy with his GemPro 50....not too horribly expensive and gives pretty consistant readings. Not too good for really small amounts (<4mgs) but still a good little scale.

14. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The Tanita 1230 is available for under $200 brand new, from a very reputable web company, if you search a bit.

Also new on the scene is the Acculab VIC-123. This model is not very portable, but is reported to be extremely accurate and measures to .001g. I've seen it advertised for under $250, which is a steal if it's as good as people say it is.

15. turkeyphant

turkeyphant Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    SWIM acquired a milligram scale for a ridiculously low price and is very pleased with the result. You should make sure your scale is precise to at least this level reliably and, just as importantly, accurate. To ensure this, a substantial portion of your budget should go on a good set of ANSI/ASTM Class 2 calibration masses.

16. radiometer

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Don't make them sound so expensive, you'll discourage people from getting them! :) It's not that substantial an addition if one is buying a decent scale to begin with. Such a set of masses costs less than $40 last time I checked, I think my set was about $35. This seemed like peanuts when buying a $200+ scale, not unlike coughing up for a power cord!

It seemed priceless when SWIM discovered his scale was perfectly accurate, except that it would not register a reading predictably until about 5-8mg was on the weighing tray. He'd really be in trouble if he'd gotten this thing out of the box and tried to weigh out single doses of DOx on it, for instance.

I've had a chance to test out some of these el-cheapo calibration masses on an analogue scale which reads easily to .1mg and technically to .01mg. The masses were all within a hundred µg or less of the stated weight, so I think they're plenty adequate for testing a .001g or .002g scale's accuracy.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  17. MadShroomer

MadShroomer Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    WOW:eek: that is VERY acurate. I had no idea the precision calibrating mass could have such a profound effect. SWIM always uses the one that comes with the scale as this is almost always the case....

edit: Oh ok thanks SWIM somehow got confused but that clears things up. SWIM always thought a 5 cent piece (called a "nickle" here in the states :D ) weighs 5.0g and would suffice...

18. radiometer

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The masses we're talking about aren't really for calibrating the scale per se, but for checking its accuracy. A typical set comes in various weights from 1mg to 100mg.

What I meant was that I have a scale of the above stated readability, and when I used it to weigh the calibration masses in my set, they were within the range I indicated. I appreciate your editing my quote, but so far it's ok to own and use scales in the US, so I'm not worried about the non-drug-related use of my scales. :)

An electronic scale needs to be calibrated with whatever weight calibration mass it comes with. If one's weight becomes damaged, one can buy a new one to replace it from the same sort of sources. I hope this clears up any confusion.

Also I'd like to add that I have double-checked some 12-26mg doses initially weighed on his Tanita 1210 with the fancy scale mentioned above and vice-versa, and they match up closely enough to have faith in the Tanita reliaby reading +/- 2mg accuracy. Doses carefully weighed on the Tanita were just a hair above the Tanita's reading when checked on the more sensitive scale, as might be predicted.

19. turkeyphant

turkeyphant Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    My scale was such a bargain they are expensive in comparison. They are also much pricier over here than in the States. Still, worth every single penny.

If you ensure you get ANSI/ASTM Class 2 masses, this is guaranteed.

It will not "suffice".

20. grandbaby

grandbaby Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    51 y/o
    Just want to weigh in (pun intended) on cheap scales. DON'T DO IT. Someone's first Research Chemical experiences were with a crap scale he bought on eB*y, thinking a generic brand was as good as another for larger measurements. (He thought he would weigh out larger amounts and then use the volumetric method to get into the 10mg range; but the scale was NOT accurate even in the hundreds of mgs.) Why didn't he listen to the voices of the wise men and women who came before him? He's out the $$$ for the cheapo scale and had to buy another that would give him the necessary accuracy. Poor fool. Glad that didn't happen to me.

Might as well go spend $50-100 on talcum powder that a dealer swears is pur uncut Bolivian cocaine. Bunk is bunk is bunk. So sez the elephunk thru his eletrunk.