Health - Seizures on Magic Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by KrisonsiD, Aug 16, 2006.

1. KrisonsiD

KrisonsiD Newbie

Reputation Points:
    A few months ago, I tried mushies and had an interesting experience with them. SWIM munched about 6grams and then went to a forest with a few other people to blaze some pot. it was about 45min after munching and I got realy REALY dizzy and the next thing he remembers is his friends pulling him out of a pile of trees. the problem was noone was around at the time to see what happened, his friends could not see him and just rushed when they heard him fall. SWIM blamed it on the fact that he munched 6grams which is significantly more than he usualy munches and said he would never munch that much again.

after that, I had many cool and non-problematic trips for a few months.

then... yesterday, I went to wonderland (a big amusement park in the area) and decided to munch and go with some friends. SWIM munched about 1g (alot less than he usualy takes) and went to go on some rides. I felt the effects very fast and became EXTREAMLY aggitated while waiting in the line for the rides. then it happened... I became very dizzy and didn't know what to do and then the next thing he remembers is being pulled up by strangers. SWIM's friends saw what happened and apparently it looked like a realy crazy siezure.

does anyone have any advice as to what I should do? or does anyone else have better knowledge of whats going on?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    I dug this up here:

Positron emission tomography (PET) may provide supportive data for detecting epileptogenic zones in patients with temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE), helping to reduce the need for invasive EEG studies. Serotonin (5HT) 1A receptor binding has been shown to be decreased in TLE.

as well as this:

Studies in experimental models have suggested a potential role for serotonergic transmission in epilepsy, and interest in this research has been increased by the development of positron emission tomography (PET) ligands that can be used to study 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) receptors and transporters. The serotonergic system is very complex. At least 13 distinct G protein–coupled 5-HT receptors and one ligand-gated ion channel receptor (5-HT3) are divided into seven distinct classes (5-HT1 to 5-HT7) (1). The receptors vary widely in their distribution and effects, innervating vascular structures and gut smooth muscle as well as neuronal tissue. Several receptor subtypes may be relevant to epilepsy.

So, given that mushrooms bind to the 5-HT2 receptor as an excitatory agonist, and that SOME seizures may be, in part, due to serotonin activity, it is entirely conceivable that swiy's seizures could have something to do with the mushrooms exciting swiy's brain too much, to put it simply. With seizures, a phenomena called "kindling" may occur whereby the seizure strengthens certain neuronal connections and lowers the amount of excitation needed for neurotransmitters to cause an electrical response in another cell. Basically this can result in later seizures happening more easily than the first one. Seems that this is what occurred with swiy. SWIM's advice would be to stay away from hallucinogens and other drugs that affect the serotonin receptor, and to consult a doctor to see what might be going on here. Best of luck.

3. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    What is described in the first report does fit the profile for Temporal Lobe Epilepsy (aka Complex Partial Seizure)- more weirdness, less falling down & convulsing, no loss of consciousness, but little or no awareness of what one is doing). The second one sounds more like a classic Atonic or even Myoclonic seizure. It also would fit the profile of hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar), which can also cause confusion, loss of conscioussness, seizure-like activity.

The fact that this has happened twice - albeit with different effects but in similar circumstances - is definitely cause for concern. As FTSL says, get it checked out by the experts, & absolutely no more drugs for SWiYour monkey in the meantime. Noone here can give an accurate diagnosis, just ideas & pointers.

Epilepsy, or hypoglycaemia, if that is what is it is, does not necessarily mean a lifetime of medication, so please don't let that put SWiY off getting it checked out. It can mean just avoiding the stimuli or circumstances that heighten the chances of it happening again, in this case psilocybin! If it is more blood sugar related, then it doesn't necessarily mean SWiY has diabetes - this can be controlled by making sure that SWiY has eaten well, & always has access to some carbohydrate or sugar in an emergency.

Drug Seizures - Epilepsy First Aid

Epilepsy & drugs

4. KrisonsiD

KrisonsiD Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i have never had an epileptic experience in my life before these situations. does this mean that i could develop them? the thing is ive had so many successfull trips, and the only time i ever had a siezure was when i was in high stress situations (including my surrounding and i believe i was prety dehydrated and had nothing in my stomach in both situations).

also... if i were to go check it out, where should i go?

5. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Yes, one can develop them. As explained in the other thread, everyone has a seizure treshold. The conditions you describe (hallucinogens, stress, no food, dehydration) lower that treshold. A seizure can increase the risk on further seizures. It is important to be careful and avoid worsening the situation.

The hospital can do tests for epilepsy. One would probably need ones GP to send one there. It's worth checking out what level of epilepsy one is dealing with.

6. h0llisma

h0llisma Newbie

Reputation Points:
    what's happening..

about a month ago, my monkey and his friend were alone, smoking, and the monkey had eaten some mushrooms. the whole night was great, but towards the end out of nowhere his head started feeling abnormally funny. he couldn't think straight at all, not even enough to talk in something that sounded like English. monkey's friend said his face and lips were sheet white and he was sweating a lot. then he started hearing this weird noise. it was kind of like a cacophony of rings and beeps and horns all sounding off on full blast end enclosing his brain. he was standing up and apparently told her that something was really wrong and he needed help. then after that, all his muscles went limp and he collapsed onto the floor and started convulsing. his eyes were rolled back in his head and she said he was making noises like trying to talk to someone. then monkey started choking on his tongue. she was able to snap him out of it a few times, but the same thing would just happen again. monkey was woken up and drawn back into this about 3 or 4 times before he was able to fully regain conciousness. it took about an hour to be able to think straight, but he was able to keep himself awake although it was nearly impossible.

i think it's safe to assume that i was in fact having a seizure. however, i've heard that when most people have seizures they completely black out. i remember from when i was standing up, telling her that something was wrong and i remember trying to sit down (which was when i was really collapsing) and then i remember opening my eyes and laying on the ground with my friend standing over me screaming my name and crying. i had no idea what had happened. but the weird thing is while i was having this seizure, i was seeing and hearing things. i saw flashes of pictures of farmiliar people and snipets of sounds of their voices.

this happened once afterward, actually a couple nights ago. i was with the same friend, alone, but this time we were only smoking. i started getting the same symptoms but this time i got really really sick, like i was going to throw up. also this time, since i knew what was happening, i tried to keep myself awake before it started and i'm very lucky i was able to because i didn't think i could have.

my mother has epilepsy (i was also diagnosed with it when i was young, i had all the symptoms but the doctors took it back and said they had made false calculations). so i don't know if that has anything to do with it, or if it's just the drug. another thing: i'm part Cherokee and it's said that the shamans and medicine men would have seizures and see things and hear things. i'm not necissarily "religious", but i'm very spiritual when it comes to the Native American beliefs and customs. so i don't know if that plays any role, either. does anyone have any advice or know what could be happening?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2008
  7. Coconut

Coconut Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
  8. MindNRA

MindNRA Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: what's happening..

Same thing happened to my friend when on acid. This was his second time but it hit him hard and he had a seizure. He had another seizure about 5-6 months later completely sober.

Its latent epilepsy, has nothing to do with drugs. Substancies like mushrooms and LSD make colors brighter and make em shift. Fast shifting colors can cause a seizure.

Avoid drugs that really affect your visual spectrum. Avoid extreme lights.

9. BoomersandBud

BoomersandBud Newbie

Reputation Points:

Yah exactly the same thing here. I fryed all day on about 2.5gs of danky boomers that had gold flakes/purple stems and really enjoyed my fry. I realized when I had fully come back to earth and had control again and it was alll good. Me and my friends were going to see an Andre Nickatina concert later that night so we went to T-Bell to get some food. I got the 5 dollar box but couldnt manage to eat any of it because it made my nauseous. I threw up what was in my stomach and felt 100% but still didnt eat anything, i jsut drank a couple bottles of water. We went to the concert but we parked in some parking garage where we met up with some people and smoked some yoints. As we were walking to the venue i felt normal until i reach the alley where people were waiting around before the concert. THere were seriously 200+ people just in that one long allyway and everyone was in their own groups of about 6 people and i was trippin out because everyone wasnt really talking, just a couple people in each group were wispering but i was trippin cause i was thinkin why arent people goin in to the concert. I was thinkin to myself that it was gonna be all good but it was fairly quite so i was jsut hearing myself think. When i was one person from getting my ticket i started standing there but i couldnt keep my balance and started rocking back and forth and couldnt stand up straight. When the lady asked me for my name i was just standing there and rocking and i fell towards her and she pushed me back and i had my balance for prolly a sec and i fell sideways and smacked my head on the wall that was like 3 ft from me and i guess i fell on the ground and went into a 3 sec seizure which was crazy. By then people were freaking and the lady said i had to get out of there but my friend who had fryed with me took me back through the alley and talked to me to make sure i was sane which i was, so i went back to the car which was like 6 blocks away in downtown reno at night but i was good and i jsut passed out in the car. But I didnt get to see Andre :( but good thing i didnt go back cause my friend said that there was a bunch of cops talking to that lady, sleepin is better than gettin in trouble with the law.

Well that my refry crazy story but ive fried and smoked before and nothing like this has ever happened. And my head still hurts from where i hit the wall lol

10. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from ireland
    Please read the rules re: Self Incrimination. Dont use SWIM (Someone Who Isn't Me) or similar.
    And please avoid using slang, I have no idea what sort of Mushrooms 'danky boomers' are. Is it a type of Psilocybe Cubensis, or something stronger? Please be clear when describing exactly what You took. This is an international forum, what Swim calls a drug in their town/city might be different to somewhere else so always use the proper description so everyone understands.:thumbsup:

11. BoomersandBud

BoomersandBud Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Sorry about that, it was my first post. Well SWIM definitely took some high grade Psilocybe Mushrooms, but hes all good now. One Love.

12. Coconut

Coconut Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    "Gold flakes" would imply they were Psilocybe cubensis grown on a substrate with vermiculite.