Combinations - Selegiline (Deprenyl) Intractions

Discussion in 'Drug combinations' started by Papa T, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Papa T

Papa T Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I have been taking Selegiline (Deprenyl) in pill form 2.5mg per day, for the last 3 weeks. Can any body please tell me if this dosage would be dangerous if it is combined with any ONE of the following:
    Modafinil 100mg
    Tramadol 100mg
    MDMA 150mg
    Speed 200mg

2. Papa T

Papa T Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    can somebody help?

3. Dallaz

Dallaz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hello, SWIM can speak from personal experience that You is playing with fire by using the later two substances with selegiline.

If You takes them while you have been taking selegiline daily for weeks, the effect will be a lot more intense, so be prepared for this!

SWIM honestly would not bother, but that is because I was hospitalised due to taking the substances you mentioned 9 days after his last dose of selegiline. I was binging though, and those doses are fairly moderate.

It is up to You if they want to take the risk, but all the warnings people give about combining stimulants with selegiline are worth listening to. I don't think it will kill you, but it will be far more intense.

4. Papa T

Papa T Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Thanks for the reply.

Are the risks high even though the selegiline dose is very low?

I have had contradictory information on this issue in this forum and others and is interested in an accurate and verifiable answer.

5. Dallaz

Dallaz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I think the reason information seems contradictory is because the effect of selegiline is highly variable between individuals. ie. If Person A needs 2.5mg, Person B might need 10mg to feel the same effect, etc

So if I was taking 2.5mg/day, I think he would be safe with those interactions. However, I am not going to say it's safe for You because the effect is highly dependent on you's individual neurophysiology.

I am not very careful with drugs, but SWIM's suggestion would be to prepare for a more intense experience, and have some benzo's on hand just in case. Good luck!

6. shivakiva2112

shivakiva2112 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Selegiline could probably interact in a bad way with all of those substances. Modafinil is a stimulant and while it is not a monoamine in itself, it definitely causes DA and NE release, the elimination of which is inhibited by selegiline. So, that's probably not the best idea. Tramadol has a really weird pharmacology, it doesn't combine well with any substance in swims's understanding/experience.

Selegiline taken in a very low dose the day of an MDMA drop is known to combat the neurotoxicity associated with that drug, but that combination is like playing with fire while wearing a blindfold. One would be wise to do ample research before that particular combination, although it is not unheard of.

And the last drug listed should never, ever, not in a million years be combined with selegiline. That combination can very easily caused a hypertensive crisis and/or psychosis. 200 mg speed is plenty to get twacked on. If one were dead-set on combining selegiline with amphetamines, one would be wise to take a very low dose of each and to keep a close watch on HR and blood pressure. Maybe even take a beta-blocker like atenolol to keep the blood pressure from getting too high.

In general though, selegiline and other MAOI's do not combine well with recreational drugs. Beware.