Self-control tips for fiendish substances?

Discussion in 'General Addiction discussion' started by Nicaine, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Hi guys,

Suppose You had a virtually unlimited supply of some "fiendish" substance (i.e. anything that causes cravings once it starts wearing off). Clearly a lot of people would be in trouble, and in fact a lot of people DO get into trouble who make a lot of $$, have good connections and use drugs like cocaine or meth.

I started this thread not necessarily for himself, but for everyone whom it might affect. It seems directly related to "coping with addiction" to him... if not, mods please move it.

I am looking for any/all tips on how to stop oneself from laying out that next line, taking that next pipe hit or slamming that next spoonful, when doing so could be dangerous.

To put it another way, let's say You still has a ton lying around but HAS TO stop... they've been doing drugs too long and it's clear one more hit might send them to the hospital, or maybe even the grave. How to talk oneself into stopping when extreme cravings are occurring? Tips? Suggestions? :crazy

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  2. Flimmar

Flimmar Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Wow, You have too much of it? :confused::p SWIM always went short of it - anyway, since You wants to stop, maybe he could donate some of the remaining goods to some of his friends (obviously only those who wants it), or simply get rid of it.

I know, that the phrase "get rid of it" is a no-no for most users, including himself, but depending on how far You is willing to go, either sell it, or flush it out in the toilet.

At least don't let it lay around, since that would be a very heavy burden knowing You is trying to break the habit.

Good luck.

3. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The only thing that worked for I was a total change in scenery, friends, lifestyle, coupled with a 5 gram dose of extracted Iboga alkaloids, several weeks of rest and low responsibility, followed by plenty of exercise, eating healthier, a bit of cannabis for minor aches and pains, and natural psychedelics, with the occasional LSD trip.. It took SWIM a long time to work his way off of addictive drugs, and it was the deep desire to be free that really did it, the rest just made it much easier. Iboga was the key to eliminating much of the withdrawal, as well as making SWIM much more conscious of himself and his actions.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  4. Flimmar

Flimmar Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have just recently stopped taking drugs, and it was because he'd been a vacation with his family in Thailand, and his parents said, that they'd found his behaviour strange, and weird (those time I wasn't on drugs he believes), and so, after the vacation, which was for 3 weeks (that was three weeks without cigarettes, weed, E, speed, cocain or shrooms), which was very strange. I have been smoking weed almost every day for almost 1½ year, which has affected his attendency in school (last year he was missing 1/3 of the school year which was 30,1%, or 271 hours), something he's not proud of.

He's been a heavy user of speed, taking it every day for two weeks, going off for another two weeks, then doing it again.

For the two first weeks on the vacation, all he really dreamt about was his friends, and doing drugs. Always dreaming he was filling a cone or what not.

Anyway, when SWIM finally got home to his homecountry, and found his friends smoking and doing drugs etc., he was kinda shocked. I was disgraced by them. I found their laughter to be false, they didn't look to well, and that was when SWIM realised, that that'd been him for the last 1½ year, so he decided to stop for a while.

I am having a hard time, not because of his friends doing drugs, but because his friends are doing drugs (;)), see, I don't have a problem with them doing drugs while I'm trying to take a break, his problem is that he can see how much the drugs have fucked them up.

It's tough, but it's better now. SWIM sleeps better, is more positive. It's a fucked up feeling to be honest, but it's nice :)

5. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Although this may sound completely stupid, according to some, cocaine addicts often mail their stash to themselves in the post in order to stay off the non-stop binge. Obviously it's a pretty risky operation but a well-contained envelope sent locally may not arouse any suspicion at all. Just throwing that out there.

6. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    I have no friends to speak of. Just one guy he's known since before high school who he no longer sees (the guy's a coke addict & cares about nothing else), and another guy from Laos who barely speaks any English and just uses SWIM for help with his computer. I have no other offline friends.
    Depressing :(... quite literally an impossible scenario for SWIM. He's on disability and doesn't have the money to travel much or change his lifestyle. But maybe he can figure something "drastic" out that doesn't involve checking into psych wards or leaving home/hitting the streets. He's gonna give it more thought.

Quite possibly something like moving into a 'group home' of some sort for a period of less than a year, to get his thinking into a new groove. This would create numerous problems/issues, but if it ended up solving the thorniest one(s) of all maybe it would be worth it.
    Actually, it's a creative (albeit poor) idea that at least helps SWIM's thinking toward the right track -- thanks!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  7. rodent

rodent Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM once had a fiendish habit with GBL and had a gallon of it... could have lasted months if not longer. He knew he had to quit and so did his live-in girl friend. Finally, after a fight with her about the amounts he was taking every 3 hours, he took the gallon and without thinking about it, dumped it down the sink. This even surprised the girlfriend but that was it... a week or so of withdrawals and he was done with GBL.

This was at the time when GBL was just becoming very difficult to get in the US so he knew he'd not get his hands on it again.

Short of moving and turning off you's pc for a while, I don't see how You will quit unless he does just this.... flush it/ditch it... even giving it away may not help if there is any chance of getting it/some back.

Change is required starting with ones own behavior and surroundings, in my opinion.

Best of luck though!

8. sciencedj

sciencedj Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM avoided this type of situation by purposely buying only what he needed for the weekend. I had adealer he would see every friday at 5pm for a meth hook-up. I was sure to buy only a half gram to insure that it would all be consumed by Sunday night, just in time to return to work on Monday. SWIM's dealer was instructed NOT to accept calls from SWIM until the following week so as to avoid fiending and wanting to get more. Luckily...SWIM's dealer complied (We had close ties).

SWIM guesses if SWIM wanted it bad enough, I would've found another connection, but never did (at this point in time).

I would have bought grams and grams of meth when hooking-up, but a small , inner voice of reason stopped me from doing that. SWIM's self preservation mechanism kicked in....

If SWIM bought more than 1/2 gram of meth, I would not go to work, and would contininue to use until it was all gone. So...SWIM bought only what he would need for the weekend.

I am weak willed...and if I had extra dope just lying around, I would have to do it.

The idea mentioned previously about mailing You the extra stash sounds interesting. If I had heard of this method before, SWIM may have tried it. It's sounds like a good idea.

9. monkeygone2heaven

monkeygone2heaven Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    :eek: unlimited?
    the word scares swim shitless!
    I has found that she will get to the bottom of everything...
    once she has locked her remaining drugs she did not want to take for a while (in that case it was just pot) in a filing cabinet and left the keys in her office 20 miles.
    I like to say "if there's anything stronger than my liking for drugs, it's my laziness"
    plus it is hard to be in denial when you make a 40 mile trip to your office in the middle of the night...
    I didn't ever make the trip for that timeframe.. i guess that means swim's not badly an addict -- but that doesn't mean I do not understand...
    I have been known to go through scary amounts of cocaine or opiates just so they'd be "all gone"...
    it sounds like our swiNicaine cannot take such risks with their health. (none of us can really...)

swim's advice will be simple: get rid of it.

and consider something very important: if swiy's having trouble getting rid of it, why is that? You is concerned and conscious enough to want to discontinue use of substance, seeking advice here, obviously thinking about it hard. why is swiy, despite all this holding on?

sorry to sound like a therapist but the physical side is only part of the picture isn't it?

i wish You the best. let us know what you decide and please take care.

mgh