1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Server is busy message: server maxing out.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Alfa, May 13, 2010.

1. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from The Netherlands
    As many of you have noticed Drugs-Forum is receiving many visitors lately and this results in our server maxing out. Many visitors get this message:

The server is busy right now. Please try again later.

I'm currently tweaking the server, but that can only do so much. Ultimately its coming down on the need for more servers. Realistically we need 2 more servers.

You can help by donating to the site.

2013 edit: Now that DF provides drug information, harm reduction, recovery support to over 2.5 million readers per month, the servers are maxing out once again. Maxing out now, indicates crashes later, as DF has a steady rapid growth. We need an additional server, but lack the funds.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. salviablue

salviablue Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Or maybe start getting funds from advertising........, of course, adverts wont show for high ranking/donating members....;)

I know, I hate adverts/advertising too, but might as well use them since they are not going away any time soon.

3. bluntshell

bluntshell R.I.P. Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeah, but imagine how many filters would have to be on a program system like AdSence.

Source discussion in the advertising. lol, I'm sure that wouldn't look good....

4. salviablue

salviablue Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Obviously it would have to be advertising unrelated to DF, except for maybe things like legal advice/law firms, and stuff to do with harm reduction like testing centres/kits, rehab programs etc. Job prospects in addiction and drug 'abuse' reduction type things, pharma co's, research co's, etc.
    Or then again, could be more problematic, just keep it non-related.

5. bananaskin

bananaskin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from england
    Now there's a thought, surely some of the bigger rehab organisations would happily pay for a larger listing...

6. Spucky

Spucky Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from japan
    AW: Re: Server is busy message: server maxing out.

Like "Narconon" :laugh:

Hmmm, more Donations are needed.

I don't know how many Optimisations are possible
    but maybe a professional Server-Setting will give a higher Server-Performance?

But it will also do not come for free :)

7. Anna Thema

Anna Thema Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    No one likes advertising but it could be a sensible way to go, this is the 21st centuary and commerce rules the world.
    Another option could be DF merchandising, you know, DF t shirts, mugs, lighters, that sort of thing.
    We could even have a DF ebay shop (or just a DF shop on DF) although thats just thinking off the top of my head and I havent worked out the logisitics of it yet.
    We could have DF maps of ever country that has members, abit like the old 'Rough guide' but where the info is contributed by DF members. That way you could include advertising without having to clog up the computer screen, we could run reviews, show areas to go to and areas to steer clear of in all the capital cities of the world.
    OK oK I know i get over excited and carried away but the botom line is that with the accumulated brain power of the members of this site there must be a way we can raise a few coins to put into the communal purse.

8. bananaskin

bananaskin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from england
    https://drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=829843

Well there are plenty of large rehab organisations throughout the world, Narconon being just one.
    And without wanting to hijack this thread, the Rehab Index has always been a potential source of income.
    So, let's get adding more entries as the team is always in need of more people.

9. HPPD

HPPD Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from ireland

Funny question to ask but what kind of market does this site cater for and who would advertise here? Topic could make a good thread.

10. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    this site caters to a quite large market. as stated above rehab centers, online head shops (not a good idea, but just an example off the top of my head), ect. swim wishes he had the money to help, perhaps some funding from a harm reduction program, who knows. the addiction recovery forum is pretty busy and im sure that larger rehabs would pay money to have a little banner saying "there is help" or whatever. swim figures more people would donate, but many drug users are flat broke all ready with no bank account and shit.

11. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    Advertising is currently not an option. I would rather turn down part of our visitors then to place adds on DF. Google's ads has lowered its fees for ads substantially, so even if we would place Google adds, it would not bring in much.

The rehab index is indeed designed to generate income, but we need to have software coded to complete that project. And this coding project can only be started, once new forum software becomes usable.

12. bananaskin

bananaskin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from england
    So how much would this cost?

13. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    Im not sure yet. I have been waiting for the completion of new forum software for years now. Once its complete I will have a clear picture of what the rehab index software will be built upon. The question is: how much will be provided for by new forum software and how much needs to be custom built.

14. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    swims going into the doctor this week for a opiate replacement program so hopefully some of his money will be freed up so he can start contributing some money to this site, but he currently hardly has enough to pus gas in his car, let alone donate. hes sorry about that.

15. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    €10 every two months already helps.

16. YeaXTC

YeaXTC Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I should be starting his new job June 1st, so after that first check swim WILL be donating and can't wait to finally have money to contribute because he finds D-F more than price-less. :D

xo

Jesse

17. Anna Thema

Anna Thema Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Server is busy message AGAIN!!! Whilst it is great to be a part of such an in demand forum we are really going to have to get our heads around a way to make the forum self funding.
    Members I'm sure are donating wherever possible but in the long run are donations going to sustain this forum? We are a group who by their very definition can be amoungst the poorer members of communities and who have other; often more desperate demands on their limited finances, you know what I mean?
    So if you can then please donate.
    If you cant donate money then donate time-
    https://drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=829843

Whatever help you can offer, no matter how large or small, will be greatly appreciated and can make a difference.

If I'm overstepping the mark here tell me to shut up but these seem like desperate times, and they call for creative thinking. This is a forum that can deal with life or death issues, can make the difference between seeing the morning or not, were not sharing cookie recipes people, were educating, informing, stopping people making stupid, and sometimes fatal mistakes. (You can tell I live in the R&A forum)
    That seems like its worth overstepping the mark for to me.

18. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    The host has alerted me that if another server is not are added in the near future, they fear the current server will go down frequently, as its currently operating near its max.

19. missparkles

missparkles If you like crazy you've come to the right place. Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Perhaps we can have a specific amount that's urgently needed, with people pledging small amounts (as was the case when Bananaskin collected the last amount) with someone forwarding it to Alfa?

It can be a small amount, maybe one or two pounds/euro's/dollars, whatever your currency? As Anna Thema has said, if people logged on tomorrow, and DF no longer existed, what would you do? This site serves a valuable purpose, not only informing, but also saving lives.

Come on people, how long would it take to ask for a stamp when next at the PO, a minute, then another minute to write out the envelope and drop it in the box? Anyone got any ideas to make donating easier?

Thanks.

Sparkles.:vibes:

20. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    I have turned off a large number of minor functions, in order to relieve the sever of some strain. Though the site is not much faster though.

Sending an envelope is very easy to do.
    Paying online trough Alertpay offers a really easy, cheap, fast & safe way of donating, and allows for payment trough credit card, bank transfer or Alertpay account.