Should Cannabis Be Made Legal in the UK and US/Canada?

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by VitaminK22, Mar 9, 2007.

1. VitaminK22

VitaminK22 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from U.K.
    Swim Thinks Cannabis should b made legal cos it would solve alot of crimes made by dealers. also it would stop this grit weed problem if it was sold by a government authorized company. making cannabis illigal caused more crimes than it solved and its not exacly a dangerous drug (unless it contains sand, glass or silicon) alot more ppl die from alcohol each year than from cannabis. alcohol makes you lose control of your body and causes u to do stupid things without thinking whereas cannabis doesnt make u do stupid things cos wen u smoke a fat spliff you cant b bothered to do anythin. Also tobacco causes cancer and long term smoking gives you a very high chance of gettin cancer. ok so some smart arse proved that cannabis can cause schizophrenia but this actually happening is extremly unlikely.
    the only downside with legalisation is that the government would probly over tax it (like tobacco) but with it being grown professionally and legally, it would b nice and strong. imagine a cigar packed with bud :D

Have your say should it b legalised or not and why?

2. The Pot

The Pot Newbie

Reputation Points:
    It should be legalized b/c My not hurting anybody...And when there is No Victim, There Is No Crime.
    I am scared for his own freedom just for smoking some "Lawn Clippings"
    Not to mention medicinal values.

3. VitaminK22

VitaminK22 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from U.K.
    lol "lawn clippings." there was a report in the newspaper 2day which brought this to my mind and it showed the figures of how many deaths were caused by each drug every year (on average) in the UK. Alcohol was like 8000, tobacco was like 12000 or 120000 (cnt remember) cannabis was like 19, heroin was like 800-900, ketamine was 0 (but it has killed ppl cos their not aware of wot their doin) and swim cant remember the rest. its understandable to say more ppl drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes than smoke cannabis but its not much more.

4. oldfart

oldfart Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I'd be willing to bet that out of those 19 at least 9 of them if not more did not die as a direct result of the Mj but had underlying (either health or addiction) issues.

5. Peace Frog

Peace Frog Newbie

Reputation Points:
    There are no accountable deaths caused by cannabis, only deaths of people ON the substance, not directly caused BY the substance :O

The only way to OD on MJ is to smoke your own weight in under an hour (or at least that's the common knowledge)

THC is VERY hard to OD on.... I would imagine injecting THC would be one of the only ways to OD.

So in closing,

YES, cannabis should be legalized.

6. knot

knot Newbie

Reputation Points:
    knot thinks all drugs should be legal but then knot knows there are some people that make a living with the current prices.

7. oldfart

oldfart Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    People who make a better living off of drug money

Foreign Govts who mass produce
    Government officials who take bribes to keep it illegal
    Corporate conglomerates who lobby to keep it while producing hazardous (chemichal byproducts with half-lifes) materials
    Cotton Industry

Ok so the growers and dealers make a few bucks, but look at al the shit you go through to get a crop purchased. Now if leagalization occours, Bigger crop less work with stealth, open growing, more crops more buds more money

The BEST THING WILL BE THE POLICE, GOVT, POLLITICIANS, AND BIG CORPORATIONS WILL LOSE MONEY> Wait that would never hapen, SORRY

8. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    In the USA, the single largest contributor of "private money" to the War On Drugs is none other then the liquor industry.

And they also put lots of money into the pockets of elected officials.

9. oldfart

oldfart Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Oh yes it would be sooooooo, aweful if people would stop dying of liver poisoning, car crashes, heart disease and such and went to the bar to have a great time and smoke some pot.

10. Peace Frog

Peace Frog Newbie

Reputation Points:
    How does this make sense:

A substance that makes me obnoxious, prone to violence, egotism, clumsy, and stupidity, is legal for use of anyone who was reached the point of the most stress in todays life.

Yet, there's a substance that makes me mellow, hungry, prone to laughter, easily ammused, and later on tired, is illegal and in some places considered "schedule 1"

Now please tell SWIM and I, how the HELL does that make sense.

11. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    I think this is possible but almost a century of scaremongering has produced anti drug sentiments to become part of culture. Supporting drug reform networks, which connect the smaller drug reform groups and bring drug reform into international politics is very important IMO.

12. The Doors

The Doors Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I agree with you entirely. I am well aware that a lot of government related organisations visit the forum, SWIM just hopes that they actually a new side to the drug culture that isn't really seen in the public eye of society.

Peace Frog; nothing can make sense when it's corrupted.

13. notech

notech Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Swim thinks that MJ should be De-criminalised rather than made
    totally legal... It would be an easier route for many governments
    to go down to have it De crimed rather than made totally legal...

Peace...:smoking: