Health - Should I Try Mushrooms Again? Caused Temporary Mental Illness Last Time

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by Chester Cheeto, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Chester Cheeto

Chester Cheeto Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    The first time i tried shrooms which was in fall i ate a few grams and had a blast on it but soon after i ate a really high dose and had a extremely bad trip which caused me have severe anxiety for a few months afterwards and hppd to this day, do you think a single gram of cubenuis shrooms would cause a anxiety reaction or worsen hppd?

I know a lot of people just say it can only precipitate or exacerbate latent or existing mental disorders but either which way i had a bad reaction to it mentally

2. prescriptionperil

prescriptionperil Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Should i try shrooms again? caused temporary mental illness last time

No, you should not revisit a drug that caused problems. Personally, on hallucinogens, if emotions erupted, I cried. I still think the discord from an emotional connection causes "bad trips."

3. Chester Cheeto

Chester Cheeto Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada

even a gram?

4. prescriptionperil

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I don't want you to have a bad trip or suffer the repurcussions. However, baby doses of hallucinogens have value. As my husband, the old hippie stated, just enough to put a smile on your face. Mini, mini, dose. Plus, if emotions erupt, don't fear them. Go with the flow.

Perhaps a miniscule dose. Despite the anxiety, you want to repeat the experience? Did you learn something from the trip despite the pain?

I'm jealous, I so want shrooms for mental health purposes.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  5. Chester Cheeto

Chester Cheeto Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada

well i can't remember whats its like enough to determine if i really want to repeat it or not, do u think it'd make my hppd worse? i think it was mainly the nausea what spiraled me into madness

6. prescriptionperil

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

No, leave it alone for now, okay. Yeah, it'll cause or make HPPD worse. The best idea is clean living for awhile. I have the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders V." The HPPD will improve in most cases. Worst case scenario, people adjust to the symptoms to live a full life.

NO, AVOID ALL DRUGS FOR AWHILE, UNTIL YOU STABILIZE. OKAY.

7. DiabolicScheme

DiabolicScheme Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I'll second that, as much as you don't want to hear it you should not use any psychoactive drugs if you've got hppd and especially if you had a mental situation last time you took it.

Its likely to cause even more problems if you continue use.

8. Chester Cheeto

Chester Cheeto Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada

u mean stabilize as in hppd right? cause the hellish anxiety phase is long gone thank god, i'll always do drugs but completely staying from psychedelics would be a smart move especially since i have ocd and hppd, even a gram can possibly trigger somethin huh? i'll listen to you're guy's advice, better safe then sorry

9. Adas

Adas Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    23 y/o from Slovakia

A low dose souldn't hurt you, HPPD might get worse for the duration of the trip, but if this doesn't bother you then you'll be fine. I think there's even a video on YT where a guy claims shrooms CURED his HPPD. That's just one case, though. I've heard that temporary benzodiazepine use can effectively kill HPPD.

So if you decide to take the gram, have some benzos at hand, that would pretty much solve any possible problems. Just be positive and don't fight your emotions. Just relax, and make a rational decision.

10. TheRollingStoned

TheRollingStoned Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Lay off the high doses and do very little if you do decide to use it again.

11. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland

It is accepted that drugs, including shrooms, can bring on underlying psychological issues that would have surfaced naturally in time. Issues like anxiety, depression and worse can be triggered with drug use. In most cases they show up naturally between the late teens and mid twenties. Personally i would advise against using drugs, especially mushrooms in this case as you say they already had a negative impact on your mental health in the past. No trip is worth ruining your health over.

Yes people have used certain drug therapeutically, but usually in the presence and with the guidance of a trained professional who can utilise them (after years of training) to attempt to benefit a person.

12. monkeyspanker

monkeyspanker Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I'm going to agree with all the above posts that advise not doing them again for awhile. Please know, some things that are fun for some folks may not be the same for others, in your case...not fun.

Some day you might feel like using a small dosage to revisit, that is what I'd do if I were you. I've been using 'shrooms for 40years!

M~

13. nachofish

nachofish Tickling the Amygdala Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from Tenochtitlán, México

No. Imagine when you start feeling the effects and suddenly you remember your bad trip. That idea alone can mushroom into something very uncomfortable.

It will definitely make your HPPD worse because it a is a "hallucinogen".

Good luck.

14. Robert J Pash

Robert J Pash Newbie

Reputation Points:
    20 y/o from Texas, United States