should salvia divinorum be legal?

Discussion in 'Salvia divinorum' started by ecs24soldier, Sep 29, 2005.

1. ecs24soldier

ecs24soldier Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Now like most people in here I think people should be able to think for themselves and do what they want to their own bodies and minds. But my question is if all other drugs besides alcohol and nicotine and various other precursors and plants because they are "dangerous" should you be able to walk in to a store and buy 15x extract and assuming because its legal that its no big deal and end up having a major freak out or hurting yourself ? I have used many drugs in large quantity considered to be far more dangerous or heavy but I have never felt as out of control or as scared as he did after taking one bong hit off 15x. Is this stuff dangerous? Can the chemical harm you? I thought he was gonna die durring this experience. I just worry that some inexperienced kids are gonna think that this stuff is no big deal because its legal and really get hurt. Have there been any incidence like this?

2. scriptlord

scriptlord Newbie

Reputation Points:
    This is a intersting post. ANY drug can be abused by a novice user and have a ego-meltdown. I would be interested in seeing the amount of emergency room visits due to this drug. Though the trips are very intense they are also very shortlived. I feel like a novice user can abuse anything and freak out that is otc including dramamine, and cough syrup. Again, unlike those drugs the short duration is such a big key because by the time your freaking out it realy is over soon after. Can the chemical harm you? I realy doubt it much unless you smoked it very often (which I doubt many would do). Possibly if you tried to smoke a great amount at once you could have psychological problems for a day or so but if you attempted to smoke a great deal of 20x at one time your kinda asking for it. If only all users researched and understood what they were using and why they were before using we would have far less problems with "freakouts." I think this drug may also go down the same road as the research chemicals, not because it's a danger to society, but because of novice users abuseing it and media exploiting the stories.

Thats just my 2 cents.

3. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Salvia should remain legal. It's non-addictive, non-recreational and is no threat to society or the government. Just like most soft drugs really.

4. thegod1

thegod1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    It should remain as it is, the packet I got had a warning on the back and if people are just going to put that into there body, only expecting something good to come from it, its their own fault.

Just my opinion, when under the influence of Salvia, I can't do much other than sit/lay there, same with friends, soI don't think this could cause much trouble.

As scriptlord said, its effects are shortlived, wether your enjoying the drug, or hating it, it's only there 20minutes MAX.Edited by: thegod1

5. ecs24soldier

ecs24soldier Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I agree I guess like I said I don't think the government really has the right to tell people what they can and can't do with their bodies. Maybe my feeling about this are a bi product of our societies laws. I assume that in our society since almost all recreational drugs are illegal that if a few tings slip through the cracks they must not be that great anyway. This stuff gets grouped with things like nutmeg, morning glorry even cactus but those all require large quantity and a pretty strong comitment to get high. I do agree that its good that it doesn't last that long but I have made it through many high dose acid mushroom PCP mesciline trips and never felt ego dissillusion or as out of control with this

6. ecs24soldier

ecs24soldier Newbie

Reputation Points:
    maybe a better question would be, Do you think that salvia's legal status in the US would lead people to under estimate its potential. I guess thats my issue.

7. a-SalviaLover

a-SalviaLover Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from guam
    I'm at the opinion that all drugs should be legal. No one but me has the right to tell me what to put in my organism. I can decide this with a bit of education. I don't give a f**k about the socieaty or the government. I do whatever I think is the right thing and I have never made any mistakes.

Salvia is a plant of the Gods, how can it be banned by a human? Seriously!

Underestimation od Salvia wouldn't lead to a critical situation, just to a feeling of a lost ego and an absence of time and space.Edited by: a-SalviaLover

8. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I think salvia should remain legal because it appears to be quite safe. The duration of effects make it hard to cause serious accidents and things of that nature. I can't picture anyone driving while tripping on salvia. If salvia were to be made illegal, it would cause more problems because, if sold on the street, the material could be laced with more dangerous subtances. By remaining legal, salvia can be produced and sold in a controlled environment, where lacing would be very unlikely.

9. ecs24soldier

ecs24soldier Newbie

Reputation Points:
    thats a good point I don't think it should be made illegal like I said maybe the real question is weather our government/societies laws have an effect on how you would think about a substance. Just like herbs and supplements I think most people assume that these things are safe because you can buy them at the store, or in the way that people who would never touch heroin will snort oxy contin because its a prescription drug. I know that I am guilty of these assumptions, is this the way anyone else looks at it?

10. hazeinmybong2

hazeinmybong2 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    I keep imagining someone buying it as a legal alternative to pot. Packin up a bowl and goin on a roady. It won't be long before someone runs a car into oncoming traffic. I like it being legal but I would trade salvia's legal status for pot any day.

11. thegod1

thegod1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Ofcourse, there probably will be accidents with it but im sure alcohol will cause much morefights/road accidents than salvia, but most people dont think of it like that.

Like I said, when on Salvia it's not easy to do anything other than sit/laydown and wait for it to end. Im guessing you've tried it so you should know what I mean.

If someone was to try it for their first time, I don't think they'll keep driving, I think they would pull over as soon as they could (At leastI would).

12. blindpanda_eric

blindpanda_eric Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I think it should remain legal, for all the reason posted above.
    However, it would appear that it won't be legal for long, according to
    erowid.