shulgins favorites

Discussion in 'Research Chemicals' started by Lacognac69, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Lacognac69

Lacognac69 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    hey i was just curious which psychedelics Shulgin and his wife liked the most. I have the Pihkal book , havn't had time to fully read it though. I always hear about the "magical half dozen," with things such as 2ce, 2cb, iprocin i think, etc. Does this magical half dozen include only the Rc's he has made our does it include mdma, lsd,etc. If anyone knows what exactly these magical half dozen are I would love to see what they are. thanks

2. blackwolf

blackwolf Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
  3. transit

transit Newbie

Reputation Points:
    61 y/o
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2011
  4. gn2osis

gn2osis Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from denmark
    I've often wondered about that "magical half-dozen" quote as well, and from Part II have only been able to find that quote you just
    posted. I seem to recall something from Part I as well (which is not available online), and will try to find it.

In another relevant quote, Shulgin predicts that 2C-EF (i.e., 2C-E with a fluorine substituted for a hydrogen on the 4-ethyl group's beta
    carbon, and which is as yet unmade, as far as I know) "would be every bit as much a treasure and ally as is 2C-B or 2C-I" (PiHKAL #65). Whether
    or not Shulgin would put 2C-I in the winner's circle, he does seem to agree with a lot of other explorers that it's right up there.

EDIT: AFAIK, that "magical half-dozen" was just from the phenethylamine family. Shulgin definitely says good things about iprocin, but I don't recall that he included such a list in TiHKAL.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2008
  5. prospero

prospero Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Shulgin of course has his own preferences, though
    as RC's have become more available other ones
    have come to the fore. I would rate 2C-I over 2C-B
    though I'm not sure Shulgin feels the same.

6. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    yeh, many people think 2cd is one of the best phen, with also 2ce and 2ct7

what about stp, doi, doc, dob ...would any of thesehaveits place in the "top phens podium" ? (as I have no idea how they feel)

7. transit

transit Newbie

Reputation Points:
    61 y/o
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009
  8. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Judging from their comments in their talk at Mindstates, I think their
    favorite is now 2C-B-FLY.Edited by: radiometer

9. wapcaplet

wapcaplet Newbie

Reputation Points:

The D chemicals are far too long lived to make it onto most people's
    top lists. With a guaranteed two-day trip for DOB and STP (DOM), it's
    not likely to win many fans unless they specifically enjoy spending all
    weekend fucked up.

2C-B is a great chemical for it's shortness and power. DOB is not for the opposite reasons.

10. phenethylamine

phenethylamine Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have PIHKAL and though I don't know shulgin's personal favorites, I do know that there is not so much a list but if you look through the book, you can find what he considers 'true psychedelics'. 2c-b and 2c-d and 2c-g are among them. I have never had the opportunity to try 2c-b or 2c-g. Though someone that doesn't even exist told me that 100-150mg of 2c-d ingested orally is 'off the chain'. I would have to agree...

11. Samadhi

Samadhi Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Not true, DOB was never a favorite but it certainly did not last all weekend. This is a common misconception with DOx chemicals. Even with a 4.5mg dose of DOC, the experience lasted about 16 hours.

But then again, to each his own.

1. 2/5,
      Not sure making a comment on the length of DOx trips or discounting anothers experience is worth the 3 yr bump...
      Jun 21, 2008
  12. Panthers007

Panthers007 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    It seems Mr. Shulgin took 2-CE during a very troubling time in his life - according to his account in Pihkal. The fact that he underwent a powerful psychedelic experience at a time when most would caution against speaks volumes about this man. Though his experience with 2-CE during this time was far from ideal, he regarded the level of insight gained to be valuable enough to write an entire chapter based on this. This, also, speaks volumes.

My headband is off to him.

13. ungelesene_bettlekture

ungelesene_bettlekture Newbie

Reputation Points:
  14. yosepi

yosepi Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    i camped with the shulgins this last week at burning man! they were about three RV's away and I was the videographer from out camp. I have footage of the Shulgins doing a 90 minute lecture/q&a. This question came up and Ann mentioned that she loves 2C-B Fly the most. She thought my Moxy/Foxy Methoxy cocktails were interesting =)

15. yosepi

yosepi Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    After this thread I watched the footage again. Sasha mentioned MDMA as the most interesting compound he has ever known mostly due to it being completely unique from phenethylamines and tryptamines.

I can't wait to publish this in any way I can, although legalities prevent me from doing it until I get the Shulgins permission. I am hoping to donate the footage to them as an inclusive DVD to future publications of PiKHAL and TiKHAL.