siezure from ritalin

Discussion in 'Concerta & Ritalin' started by thenumber7, Apr 30, 2007.

1. thenumber7

thenumber7 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    52 y/o
    has anyone else experienced this? I took about 50-60 mg's ...much more then swims normal dose...after about 4 hours he went to sleep and woke up in the middle of the night shaking uncontrollably and not able to speak for a couple minutes. When words could finally exit SWIM's mouth, it came out only as a garbled "help" as he thoiguht he was dying.

All day today he thought it was a dream then he asked his younger sister a few hours ago if she had heard anything and she did indeed hear SWIM yell and fall out of bed. I am beginiinng to get a bit worried over the seriousness of this...any advice would be MUCH appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2007
  2. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    The weird thing is how You made to sleep after 4 h ingesting the rits.

Did You pass out after asking for help? Did he feel bad next morning?

If You doesn't remember what happen and isn't sure if it was a dream or not maybe it's because it was, a bad dream and probably your body reacted badly as it was boosted with stimulants. Maybe an adrenalin rush in the middle of a nightmare?

Tell You to talk to his doctor and keep the dose low. I have had bad vivid dreams when sleeping after ritalin but never got that bad.

3. thenumber7

thenumber7 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    52 y/o
    im reasonably sure it wasnt a dream as swims sister heard the thump of him falling and he did infact remember falling

the reason I was able to sleep is most likely because he had ingested a few melatonin pills

also he didnt pass out nor feel to bad the next morning...this is very confusing and odd

4. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Tell you's doc to have You checked and keep you's dose low. An anticonvulsant handy like clonazepam is a good a idea if I need to get some sleep when still high on stimulants.

5. foggyguy

foggyguy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    If it's a real seizure, you would NOT remember having it. If you remember having it while having the "seizure" then it's something else.

6. thenumber7

thenumber7 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    52 y/o
    does anyone have any idea what it could have been though?

and would lorazepam be efective at all as an anti convulsant because that is all I have access to at this time.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2007
  7. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    Yes it would, but be careful with benzos they have different dosages and uses, I wouldn't pop any of them without talking to my doc first.

8. student_is_here

student_is_here

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    this is interesting. the first time I took ritalin (a week ago) he did fall asleap after a few hours... but woke up with his heart beating fast and he was in sleep paralysis! he couldnt move much or speak but gradually started shaking more and more in an attempt to call for help, before he knew it, he could move normally. the whole episode of paralysis lasted about 5-10 seconds, but it was not nice and I could not sleep again.

9. izzy31

izzy31 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from turkmenistan
    I have taken more ritalin than Guns N' Roses has taken cocaine and nothing happened.