Health - Significant Chest Pain with alcohol

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by CrumbsInTheBed, Feb 4, 2007.

1. CrumbsInTheBed

CrumbsInTheBed Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    I drink very infrequently and am definitely a light weight when it comes to alcohol. Anyway, on New Year's eve I was at a party and began drinking. I took about 5 or 6 shots of vodka in quick succession and began feeling the effects shortly thereafter, not that drunk, but appreciable. Anyway, I'd say about 30-45 minutes after drinking I encountered pretty severe chest pain. It was in my entire chest and forced me to sit down for about another 45 minutes until it went away.

It was very intense and quite painful, and the only thing that seemed to help the pain was to expand my lungs by taking deep breathes and holding them. After that I was fine and continued to drink the rest of the night, though in more spaced out intervals. My question is, has anyone ever experienced this and do you believe this is a common thing, especially given that I rarely drink?

2. boylizard

boylizard Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Significant Chest Pain.

Could it be a panic/anxiety attack? Even if it started out very minor (i.e. worrying you took the shots too fast), anxiety attacks are very powerful - you worry more and more about it, making it worse. I get chest pain somewhat often and does have more than one anxiety disorder.

3. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

Or - the strong alcohol "burned" his eusaphagus as he wasn't used to this. That happens. I don't know the medical term for this - but perhaps someone else around here does?

4. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Oesophagitis/Gastritis. Alcohol is a common cause.

1. 5/5,
      Thanks for riding in for the rescue! LOL.
      Feb 6, 2007