1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Effects - Silene Capensis revisited

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by nate81, Apr 15, 2012.

1. nate81

nate81 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from Missouri, U.S.A.
    So I am absolutely in love with Silene Capensis but IMO it doesn't get the attention it deserves to have. I think this might be due to misconceptions about silene and it's use. Everything I find online about these roots doesn't match with my personal experience.

First, it's more than a valerian root replacement. It helps me drift off to sleep much better, but I also wake up from it feeling great and energetic like I just got the best sleep in months. If that's not enough, the stuff seems to shorten my nightly sleeps from 8 to 6 hours. I sleep like I'm 90 years old no shittin.

Second, folks seem to not know how to correctly use it. Throw away everything you have heard about preparation. Just grind to powder and put into capsules. Eat 500mg - 3g IMMEDIATELY before bedtime. Not more than 30 minutes before you intend to sleep. Don't make a foam, don't make a tea, just swallow the stuff. I highly recommend 500mg root powder or less first time. Not in the morning or mid-day, but right before bed.

Third, silene capensis has only had a minimal effect on my dream recall or intensity. That's a secondary effect and doesn't happen for everyone. Dream recall IS NOT THE POINT OF SILENE CAPENSIS.

Four, the point. For me personally I experience far higher quality sleep. I wake up refreshed, and usually I wake up before my alarm clock. I haven't heard the alarm clock nearly as much because I keep waking up before it and shutting it off. I have also been waking up with a feeling in my lungs that I have formerly associated with stimulant use, especially ephedra (back when it was legal I tried it). Except that silene capensis is not stimulant really in the normal sense. That feeling goes away after a couple hours.

Here are some safety notes I have put down. Silene capensis can cause great sweating, especially with higher dose. Also, the root is dose-sensitive and more doesn't make better; 1g dried powderized root (fresh powder) is the best dose I enjoy. There is a tolerance effect, no idea how far that goes, haven't needed to increase doses yet.

2. nate81

nate81 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    This stuff continues to work great.

Another detail I'm noticing is that the roots seem to have mixed stimulant/sedative qualities that show themselves differently based on dose. A small dose is more sedative. The sedative potential has a limit however because higher doses feel almost stimulant. No one has reported to me they couldn't sleep because of a higher dose, but they reported definite stimulant type feelings. Also, the higher dose seems to give a nice mood and energy boost right when you wake up which is probably why people are reporting that they wake up feeling alert and refreshed.

Silene Capensis is NOT your grandpappy's dream enhancer. Something more, something strange going on with it.

It's like it's a sedative that doesn't knock you out, or a stimulant that doesn't accelerate your heart or force you to stay awake.

I keep thinking "nicotinic" too for some reason, but this is all pure speculation based on small sample size anecdotal evidence.

3. Lodewijkp

Lodewijkp Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    interesting...wel im going to look into other silene species which are natives to northern europe , maybe they contain the same compounds

4. nate81

nate81 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Yeah, I think once people start to research silene capensis they'll find a package of active compounds. I think they'll find compounds for sleep, memory, and possibly alertness.

I'm surprised so few people take interest in what to me is by far the best OTC sleep enhancer around. Oh well, more for me.

5. nerd87

nerd87 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I am intregued now, thank you for the post, I will look into it. I have troubled sleep sometimes, especially getting to sleep. I occasionally take kava kava to zonk out but have great trouble getting up in the morning. Perhaps this solves that issue, off to do more research

6. Lodewijkp

Lodewijkp Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    i found some species growing here local... also found 4 different species in a local gardening centre. They are all hardy, fast growing and suitable for very cold climates. This is going to be interesting, maybe there are more potent strains/types than capensis. i dump the species list here when i confirmed the names

7. DreamSearch

DreamSearch Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have been using Silene Capensis for a couple of weeks now. I would like to mention my experiences as they are so different then those mentioned above. I always take my SC early in the morning before breakfast on an empty stomach. I have breakfast immediately afterwards. Breakfast consists of 4 oz of oatmeal with fruit. I have either cut off about an inch in length of 1/4 inch diameter root and chewed that for about 10 minutes, so that what I am actually swallowing is finally ground up. Or else I have ground the root up with a grater and consumed a 1/4 teaspoon, dry.
    I have not always had lucid dreams, but the times that I did, I could remember them very vividly. However, and this is the big deal for me, In that dosage, and I don't know if that is a lot or not, it has acted a mild stimulant and mood enhancer. I suffer from depression and nothing has worked as well as SC. The only other factor I should mention is that I drink up to 40 ounces of Guayusa tea, which is also a slight stimulant. I have never found SC to have any sedative effects.
    I will try taking it in a capsule right before going to bed and see what it does for/to me, and report back.
    Anyone else have any similar experiences?