Drug info - Silene Capensis / Undela Ziimhlophe - (African Dream Root)

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by Alfa, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    4 doses of .5 grams where prepared for daily intake. Extreme dreaming experiences should be experienced. Psychoactive dreams? Today chewed on .5 grams of this root. Strong tingles in SWIM's throat.

At + 1.15 an alert.

@ + 1.30 left kidney started to do something.

At + 3 hours some nausea was experienced followed bystrong outward presure on third eye.

Will report more tommorow...Edited by: Alfa

2. xtraLONG

xtraLONG Newbie

Reputation Points:
    do u use that before sleep?

or do u have that ''Extreme dreaming experiences'' when u are awake?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2007
  3. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    You use that in the morning, with effects said to come during sleep. So, far no effects that could not normally happen. The story continues...

4. Pele

Pele Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o
    Any new info on this? I have had a bag of it sitting around for a while, tried it 2 days in a row upon waking, about .5g powder mixed with water and swallowed, saw no effects on dreaming.
    Although, just smoking a calea cigarette before sleep makes him have WICKED dreams.
    Swim probably needs to take the herb more days in a row, im thinkin'.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2007
  5. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    Same here. Since the effects up to now have not been satisfying, I had no motivation to try it again.

6. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    nice to see a report for this one as I was quite curious about it.
    I'd be interested in a list of plants known to affect dreams (leaving aside silene capensis and calea zacatechichi).
    I think I read somewhere that wormwood could affect dreams...
    also minute doses of any common psychedelic plant just before going to sleep will affect your dreams (I remember I had extremely vivid dreams after eating one single small peyote button (3cm diameter) a few hours before going to sleep, I had absolutely no trip from it but my dreams seemed damn real). I guess it would be the same with any psych's taken in small enough amount not to make you trip (amanita muscaria, datura, Hawaiian Baby Woodrose, shrooms, ayahuasca, san pedro...)
    also stimulants can make you get very nervous dreams (I had this from a big dose of cofee which strangely didn't stopped me from sleeping 30min later), these can stimulate your mind during sleep if you take some just before sleep (but there's quite a possibility that you won't be able to fall asleep)
    I also remember reading the book "plants of the gods", many plants were described as "inducing psychedelic visions, delirium or intoxication followed by deep sleep
    inhabited with visionary dreams".
    Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  7. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Silene capensis, African dream root

How did You use the root? Once daily for a period of several days or just with one time uses? Did You try any traditional preparations or did he just chew / swallow the root itself.

Also, something to note, while many sites seem to recommend that you take the root in the morning many others also say that you can take it right before sleep. That seems to make more sense to me, though no one really knows much about this substance.

Here is an example of the "traditional" preparations of the root - though it seems like they have been modified to fit more contemporary Westernized use - that I found to be consistent on numerous sites on the internet.

I am chewing on a 1/4 gram of the root now. The site he purchased it from (a fairly reputable one at that) stated it was from South Africa. It was insanely hard to cut but once I got the piece he wanted off and started chewing it his mouth started getting foamy and the root became chewy. The taste isn't bad at all, though I am noticing the "tingling" feeling in the back of his throat. Its rather interesting, though somewhat disconcerting at the same time.

Swim also took 1.5mg of melatonin 30 minutes ago to help him with adjusting his sleep schedule. He had been taking it more consistently the week before but hasn't taken any melatonin in the past 4-5 days besides today.

He will report me to later if he notices any effects either while awake or during his sleep tonight.

BajEdit: Hmmmm, it hasn't been too long since ingesting the root (~15 minutes) but I am feeling a little "different". No effects really, but his mind is hazier and he feels somewhat drowsy. Little bit of stuff in the stomach region but nothing too noticeable. Definitely feels different than how he felt right before ingestion. Still, doesn't mean anything good will happen, but we'll see....

BajEdit 2: Ate a big thing of sesame Thai noodles (50 min after ingestion of root). No nausea, but hopefully this won't hamper any potential effects..

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  8. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    There weren't any noticeable effects from swim's little experiment the other day while he slept that night. However the next day, which was quite a long and tiring day, swim passed out early with his clothes on (he got up around 9am and passed out around 10pm) and slept for around two hours before his alarm woke him up (he set it right before he passed out). Interestingly enough, during this two hour nap I had some pretty ridiculous dreams, though no lucidity and his memory of them was around the same as it would be for normal nightly dreaming. He dreamt some that night after he slept as well, more intensely than usual, though again no lucidity and no increased memory of what happened.

Swim can't draw any conclusions from this experience, but he still has a strong interest in experimenting further with the African Dream Root. He will probably have to wait until he has a freer schedule and hasn't been doing so many other psychoactive substances until he does it again though, so he doesn't skew the results or find the effects interfering with his routine.

In the meantime, if you have any experiences or knowledge concerning Silene Capensis please make a post here. Your contribution would be greatly appreciated by those seeking to further understand this substance.

9. NeuroChi

NeuroChi is not his mind Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Silene Capensis, Xhosa Dream Herb

A dose of 0.5 grams was prepared of the root. This was chewed for 15 minutes and swallowed, right before retiring for the night. No other sleep aids or drugs were consumed at the time.

Within a few minutes a similar 'heavy' feeling was present, the same feeling evoked by about 1 gram of Calea Zacatechichi flowers and leavs. The individual fell asleep and had several dreams, although dream recall was poor. No lucidity was remembered.

10. NeuroChi

NeuroChi is not his mind Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Pot head says:

+00:00 - Measured out 1.3 grams of root. Put in mouth, chewing.
    +00:15 - Still chewing. He's thinking to himself, this will never be illegal. It's so silly, too silly to ever become popular, and ever become a problem. He's not a drug user, he's a psychonautic pioneer with a mouth full of wood chips.
    +00:30 - Still chewing. He is sleepy, but likely due to the fact it's 2:30 in the morning. He will go to sleep and finish report tomorrow.

CONT'

He fell asleep immediately. No dreams recollection.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  11. Nocrates

Nocrates Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    Names/Synonyms: African Dream Root, Xhosa Herb or Silene Capensis
    Constituents: Triterpenoid saponins
    Dose: Active at 250 mg
    Onset: After 2 nights of usage
    Inner workings: It takes a few days to get completely absorbed by the body and stays in for a few days. Besides that, it has anti-septic properties. Other psycho-active substances may surpress the effects.
    Effects: Gives Vivid and prophetic dreams "The White Paths", Dream Recall and Lucid Dreaming.
    Side effects: At large doses it can cause vomiting and if taken for about 3 months, it is said that the effects can become permanent.

Trip report:
    Sex: Male
    Has: ADD and "Nightmare Disorder"
    "The dream root looks like a root made out of chalk. Of all the oneirogenic herbs, i like this one the most. I take 1.5 cm of the root and chew it until it has a slight ginseng-like taste and when swallowed it has a cheap-chocolate burn in the back of your throat. After that, it sometimes gives a nice warm feeling in the stomach and guts. It takes a few nights to build up and at first i didn't know what to expect, but at the third night, the "horizon" in my dreams were clear and greatly expanded, and not filled with the usual dark Fog from "Alan Wake". The subjects of my dreams became more enjoyable, maybe because my head feels more clearer when dreaming. It feels as if i'm more in control and in first person mode instead of being just a bystander watching it happening. Objects in the dream become more recongnizeable as in it's apparent where it draws it's inspiration. Half way in middle of the night, i had to take a leak and after that i fell right back to sleep with no problems where as i normally do. If i want to amplify the effect, i drink a cup of Passiflora Incarnata.

The morning after i awake rested and clear, as if i've truly slept instead of just trying to rest."

My conclusion:
    Silene Capensis feels like a Ginseng that stabilizes broken dreams. It makes my head clear at night and when i awake in the morning, i feel truly rested. It therefor bears somewhat the same effects as DMAE, except it gives you a lot of dreaming, with everything looking a bit more detailed.
    To me it's more effective that Calea or Mugwort and tastes a lot better, but most of all this is a very potent medicine for people with Nightmare Disorder.