Health - Silymarin (Milk Thistle)

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by jmoore4948, Sep 6, 2004.

1. jmoore4948

jmoore4948 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o
    milk thistle seed.- know anything about ?

i'm a heavy drinker and my girlfriend used to work at a vitamin store. she's always trying to make me take milk thistle seed pills. the bottle says it promotes healthy liver function. i know that the liver is an organ can rebuild itself, but can anyone explain to me how? does anyone have any experience with it? just wondering.

2. nikonikad

nikonikad Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from sweden
    Why do you not ask your Doc, because he could help you better

3. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I take it twice a day. It is a natural anti-oxident and liver regenerator from what I have researched. I figure, it can't hurt and only help. I am also sure to take plenty of Thiaman (B1) after drinking, this helps alot.

4. jmoore4948

jmoore4948 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o
    do you know if it's a waste to take while still drinking heavily everyday? i'd think so, but i don't know.

5. wizard warior

wizard warior Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i would bet it is a waste cause your just undoing all the good the milk thistle is trying to do at the same time,well you will not be helping the milk thistle to 'do its thing' so to speak

6. Tony Blair

Tony Blair Newbie

Reputation Points:
    My opinion: It can only help. It isnt going to make the liver any worse off

7. joevette

joevette Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Alot of bodybuilders take milk thistle when using liver toxic steroids, ie. orals. Most get liver function tests done and they ussually turn out fine.

8. yahouda

yahouda Newbie

Reputation Points:
    71 y/o
    Hi,

It is mentioned in a couple of posts. I buy the Jamieson bran Milk Thistle 4500mg tablets guarenteed 80% Silymarin.

Anyone concerned about the negative effects of substances on the LIVER must research this I Googled Milk Thistle. The antioxidant power it has is awsome.

It doesen't make you Superman but taking 2 tablets a day should be the Mantra of this section of the Forum.

I put it in the same category as safe sex and not sharing needles.

Y.

9. noeticbuzz

noeticbuzz Newbie

Reputation Points:

Thats exactly why you should be taking it.

Milk thistle contains silymarin and it protects the liver from the damages of alcohol and stimulates the production of new liver cells to replaced the one you've been drinking to death.

10. wgoff

wgoff Newbie

Reputation Points:
    if you drink regularly it is a good idea to take milk thystle for liver protection .....but also take cranberry xtract as well this helps promote kidney function as...the kidneys function is the clean out the toxins of the blood (which you will have after a night of heavy drinking)