1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Smoking cannabis after getting wisdom teeth removed

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by The Doors, May 13, 2006.

1. The Doors

The Doors Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    I apologize if this has been posted before, I tried using the search engine but only came up with a result in a cocaine forum.

So SWIM's friend was wondering if it's safe to smoke weed 3days after getting his wisdom teeth removed. The dentist told him it's ok to drink, but he's not sure about smoking weed.

Thank you all in advance, and I apologize again if this has been posted.

2. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from earth
    Providing theres no open wounds in your gums that haven't healed up, it might be ok, but would suggest you wait for a week on the wisdom teeth. This is just what swim would do thou if she had any cuts in her mouth she cant comment on the wisdom teeth thou

3. -k4ge

-k4ge Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o Male from earth
    SWIM had his wisdoms pulled just last month, and smoked weed on the day of getting them pulled. SWIY should be ok as long as SWIY doesn't let SWIY's mouth too dry, SWIM found that to be the biggest problem as it caused bleeding.

4. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    I would wait longer, like a week or something. Otherwise you risk getting
    a dry socket.

5. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Yeah, dry socket is no fun. Tell the friend to look at the little booklet of info of do's and don'ts that the doctor shoud've given to him. There's a warning against smoking cigarettes (which would also go for weed), but I forget how long you're supposed to wait. I had mine taken out about 6 years ago and the day off my oblivious mother gave me a straw to drink out of...It took FOREVER for mine to heal up and it was quite painful. Hopefully the doc gave him painkillers though and he can have some fun with those.

6. Aaron

Aaron Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Just complain about pain and get some codeine to take until you are fully healed, should more than occupy you until it's fully healed. :)

7. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from bermuda
    SWIM had his wisdom teeth and smoked almost immediately afterwards. Alchohol stops antibiotics working, which is why you should avoid it. As far as I know, weed does not, and it kills pain.

8. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from earth
    Its not much the weed thats harmful just the smoke

9. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P. Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    SWIM and friends got their wisdom teeth taken out at one point in time and they all waited at least a week. They would recommend you do the same. The wound in your mouth is pretty serious so just give it a week to heal with no disturbance. You will thank yourself later for not smoking, and you will kick yourself in the ass later if you fuck something up.

If you really must get high then eat some weed brownies! It still might take a few days to be able to eat a brownie but it wont be as risky as smoking bud. hope you are okay.....get well....peace

10. StigmataLectron

StigmataLectron Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    I think the cottonmouth would also be something to worry about, so be extra-sure to keep drinks handy. Raven beat me to mentioning eating. If you can't eat brownies yet, and you *need* to get high, go with canna-milk or something. You can't go wrong. There's got to be a healthy way to get high on pot while your wisdom teeth are gone. :)

11. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Male
    SWIM had some teeth removed a year ago and was told not to smoke for a week due to the risk of infection. He did smoke the next day and was OK but in hindsight this was not a good idea.

12. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Swim has gotten all kinds of dental work done, including getting the wisdom teeth pulled, and he sure as hell isn't gonna stop smokin cannabis, especially if he's in pain.. Never had a single problem...

13. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from bermuda
    I can't see why smoke would give you a gum infection... just clean your teethe after smoking. MJ is a good analgesic as well!

14. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Male
    I don't know, this is just what they told me when I left the hospital.

15. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    This is what I found on WebMD regarding wisdom tooth extraction:

"Do not smoke for at least 24 hours after your surgery. The sucking motion can loosen the clot and delay healing. In addition, smoking decreases the blood supply and can bring germs and contaminants to the surgery area."

16. bottlekop

bottlekop Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    ---------------------------

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  17. The Doors

The Doors Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Thanks for the advice everyone, SWIM's friend really appreciated it. SWIM's friend decided to wait a few days until he can smoke again. He said he might smoke after it's been 4-5days, seeing as not too many people have had infections while being smart about it.

18. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o Male
    If your friend is really desperate he could smoke through his nose. However in SWIMS experience it is pretty painful to do so.

19. rideburton56

rideburton56 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    the biggest thing is not creating a lot of suction in ones mouth, like if ur pulling on overpacked bowl or a really tightly weapped blunt. u want to pull as lightly as possibly because the blood clot can actualy get pulled out when u suck. theres quite a few ways around it, just remember that the key factor is u dont want to suck too hard.

20. Blissfully0blivious

Blissfully0blivious Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female
    get someone to give you a shotgun...no sucking motion needed there