Smoking Essential Oils

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by Thirdedge, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Has anyone tried smoking essiential oils?

I have been doing some experimenting with this lately. Either by placing a drop on top of my favourite herb in a waterpipe or just adding the oil only. They are highly volitile so be carefull.

I have found the following effects:

Neroli - not much effect
    Patcholi - mild euphoria
    Jasmine - nice euphoria
    Frankinsence - mild euphoria
    Clary sage - mild euphoria, interesting
    Lavender - strong taste / relaxing effect - like the effect, hate the taste.
    Ylang Ylang - nice euphoria
    Lemon - not much effect
    Sandlewood - mild euphoria
    Rose - not much effect

I have heard rumour of people getting effects from Cedarwood and Juniper.

Has anyone else tried this? Any ideas on what to try next? Any cautions?

2. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Lavender is great in the bath. although this is all interesting.

3. smoggy32

smoggy32 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I thought essential oils were actually quite dangerous to ingest, and i think inhaling would be similaly dangerous depending on the oil.

Some essential oils are forbidden to be used on pregnant women because they are bad for the developing baby. In short i think you have to be careful when inhaling them.

Good luck tho, and do please tell if you find one thats really good.

4. dokter_bob

dokter_bob Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    hmmm, interesting....I never heard of such thing like this....ingesting the essential oil can cause serious liver damage....
    but by burning it it dissolves in air very very quickly so it doesnt sound to effective....Try hanging over the roomvaporizer! hahaha
    (joke)

5. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    maybe this can help

if I would have to smoke essential oils I would start with:

wormwood:
    oil contains 62.2% thujone (narcotic, relaxing & analgesic)

salvia officinalis (sage):
    oil contains 42,5% thujone

fennel:
    oil is containing 50-60% anethole, some estragole(aka methyl chavicol) and 20% fenchone (fennel oil is said to be psychoactive)

anise:
    oil is containing 60-80% anethole,5-6% estragole and some trans-anethole.

tarragon:
    oil is containing 70% estragole.

basil:
    oil is containing 90% estragole

bay leaf:
    oil contains 10% chavicol

dill:
    Aneth oil contains 10% dill-apiole, eugenol, limonene, carvone and myristicine (dill-apiole is said to be a "psychedelic amphetamine active at 70mg", but maybe this is bullshit)

parsley:
    parsley oil is containing 20% myristicine (hallucinogen!), 18% apiole (amphetamine like compound) and 12%beta-phellandrene

celery:
    essential oil of celery contains dill-apiole

nutmeg:
    oil contains Myristicin (up to 4%, it can be as high as 10%), elemicin, safrole (0.1-3%), eugenol (myristicin is hallucinogenic)

cloves:
    A mild euphoriant.Contains eugenol

cinnamon:
    "ceylan" cinnamon oil is containing 50-80% cinnamaldehyde and 4-8% eugenol. A mild stimulant.

sassafras:
    oil contains 70-80%safrole.

pouliot mint:
    oil is containing 85% R-(+)-pulegone

calamus:
    oil is containing 80% beta-asarone (hallucinogenic)

hyssop:
    oil contains 50% pinene, hyssop is psychoactive and has sedating/relaxing effects

lemon balm(aka melissa): contains citral

saffron:
    saffron is hallucinogenic (but also very toxic in high dose)

angelica:
    oil is said to be psychoactive

caraway: aphrodisiac

cardamom: a mild stimulant

camomile: a mild relaxant/sedative

veronica ??

coriander ??

oregon ??

liquorice??

Essential oils can be very dangerous, start with a few drops no more (2 or 3 drops at the first trial) and increase dosage very progressively.
    Even if a few essential oils may produce hallucinations with oral use, the required dose to produce hallucinations is often a very toxic dose accompanied with convulsions...and death is possible.
    Smoking the oils is probably safer but one should still be very careful anyway, once again essential oils are really dangerous stuff.
    You also have to know that quite a few compounds found in common spices are known to be harmful to the liver and kidneys.
    Also be very careful as you might find yourself allergic to some of these spices which could be really dangerous (an allergic choc can be lifre threatening, especially if the substance was inhaled).

Keep us informed of your results.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  6. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    So Im guessing the dangers are from the oil being a concentrated form of the Toxins which are in the plant as opposed to some kind of solvent or chemical residue leftover from the manufacturing process?

7. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    yess the danger is from the oil itself ...anyway oils arn't produced using any chemicals/solvant , oils are obtained the following way:
    the finely powdered plant is macerated in water for a few days and then the mix is ditillated to leave the water & plant powder in the heating flask and the essential oil goes in the recieveing flask.
    If the actives from the plant arn't water soluble (this is the case for thujone from wormwood), then you use (drinkable) 96% alcohol as the solvant (instead of water), at the end of the process the recieveing flask will contain oils+alcohol. The alcohol is then evaporated to leave you with the oils (containing the actives)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  8. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    thirdeye, please keep us informed of your results, I'm very interested in these as I'm using almost each of these plants (excepting a few ones) in the manufacture of homemade absinth, and the oils from these plants/spices are clearly responsible for the very strong narcotic effect of the absinth I make. So I'm very interested in underestanding which plants that I put in the mix have the strongest influence on its effects (and smoking essential oils is clearly a good way to determine it)...then I will be more able to adjust the proportions of each plant I use to get a more psychedelic/narcotic absinth reducing liver toxicity at the same time which would be great.

9. coolesrat

coolesrat Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    BumpPp

10. Machine'Elf

Machine'Elf Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    LOL

This is quite interesting, surely smoking and or vaporising the oil is not really that bad in moderation its like i dunno filling ur burner too high and fill the atmosphere with intense amounts of oil.

i find essential oils are really under valued in western medecine and in general health.

i would love to find out the results of inhaling sasafras oil apparently u can make a tea from the root but if u obtained sasafras oil it would be almost criminal (hehe slight pun) to waste it like that.

i think if u are to do this third edge then u should scientifically log ur data and develop a system like alexander shulgins to rate the high obtained. for sciences sake and everyone elses.

the only forseable problem i have with pharma active agents being transferred into essential oil is the means by which the oil is transferred, a member said essential oils are not extracted chemically but contradicted her/him self in the fact alcohol and water are both chemicals (albeit not quite benzene or naptha) thats not meant to be malicous just pointing it out. the problem i see is that alot of pharma active compounds will have low boiling points and so by steam distillation (using water) any pharma active compound with a boiling point under 100 will most likely be destroyed and so the point of using ethanol is made more valid in that ethanol distilllation has a much lower boiling point around 70 degrees unfortunatly this is still not low enough for amazing substances such as thc to pass threw to the oil for one example so just because a plant is active does not necessarily mean that the oil will be but then again a plant that isnt active but has trace chemicals has those chemicals concentrated in the oil and so again inactive plants may have active oils the science is sound in my mind.

11. madhatterholly

madhatterholly Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    im glad to have found this thread. smoking essential oils is a reality! MONQ inhalers are similar to E-cigs but no nicotine, just vegetable glycerine and essential oils. there are 7 different blends to choose from. im hoping to purchase some organic vegetable glycerin and add my own oils to a vape pen. this is not dangerous if the oils are 100% PURE. some oils are not considered therapeutic grade because of how they are made, these are not the kind you want to ingest in any form. DoTerra and Young living have therepeutic grade oils and CAN be ingested. essential oils go back to egypt and mummification. the french have been ingesting essential oils for some time now, but it is always recommended to ask a doctor first. different ways of ingesting THERAPEUTIC grade oils are by mouth (vegie capsules), added to cooking like peppermint brownies, and inhalation/vaporizing. i personally use them many ways: in a diffuser, topically, ingesting and vaporizing. again, only THERAPEUTIC grade oils are recommended for ingestion and there are some oils that are just very strong and should be used with great caution such as eucalyptus and cinnamon. peppermint, oregano and lemon grass are considered HOT oils and can cause rash or burning sensation on the skin. do research before using oils. that is all.

12. sativa.tmp

sativa.tmp Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Moon, PA, United States
    Agreed.

All except vaporising glycerin, from my past research it produces something that acts as a CNS depressant? I don't ever use e-cigs anyway so no vested interest either way.

Today I had 9d (true) cinnamon oil, 6d yarrow oil as P450 enzyme inhibitors followed by the primary oil: Valerian (20d). A
    Oils placed in capsule and swallowed with sunflower lecithin for emulsification. Inhibitors first then after 10mins, the Valerian.

Effects were pleasant and jovial.

Valerian info:
    http://herbs.mxf.yuku.com/topic/4008282/Valerian-Root-Oil-as-a-Psychedelic

I plan on trying kanna/st johns wort and lemon/tea tree oil soon...

13. noddygirl

noddygirl Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o from U.S.A.
    Wow, this is REALLY interetsing...and very new! Is this something the OP thought up? I have been interested in essential oils for a long time for aromatherapy. Although I haven't bought any in a while mostly because the good, real oils are expensive. I need to look this up. I have read in various places that a lot of the "essential' oils being sold aren't good. You have to find the real & good stuff.

noddygirl added 3 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

Some essential oils are meant to be inhaled in order for them to work well. Like Lavender oil...you have to inhale it to get rid of certain headaches and to get rid of stress. It does something to your blood vessels.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  14. sativa.tmp

sativa.tmp Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Lavander contains linalool which, if I recall correctly has activity on the GABA system and NMDA system

15. Adas

Adas Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    23 y/o from Slovakia
    Lavender contains a 5-HT1A agonist, that's the mechanism of GABA potentiation. This effect is also responsible for: vasodilation, relaxation, tranquilizing effects, silencing your mind and more (Wikipedia has more info).

16. best

best Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    You can only add a few drops of Essential Oils to a gram of herb without it causing everything to light on fire once attempting to smoke it, from my experience.

But, you can possibly inhale these without heat since they are volatile. A simple way I've thought up (idea inspired from Nicorette Inhalator) would be to:

Get a marker, like a sharpie, and take out the components inside, including the part of the marker that writes (the tip), and clean completely. Create a hole on the opposite side of the marker that writes (at the bottom).

Soak a cotton bottle in Essential Oil of choice, and put it inside of the marker so it stays intact inside of the marker.

Inhale from the point where the marker would write before you took the tip out.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  17. sativa.tmp

sativa.tmp Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    This is a less portable method than using a Len as best suggested - You can put the oil in an essential oil burner which will heat & vaporize the oil. Then just inhale deeply, a little at a time...