Smoking - Smoking Kratom

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by Nanashi, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Nanashi

Nanashi Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I have seen countless people say that kratom cannot be smoked. Or rather, that it can be, but with little or no effect. I find that hard to believe. Has anyone tried the following method of consumption?

Source- The Encyclopedia Of Psychoactive Plants - Ethnopharmacology and Its Applications page 366, Second column, 3rd and 4th paragraph down.

2. Goinsdisease

Goinsdisease Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    There is nothing in your quote about efficacy, which is the main arguing point against smoking kratom. If you're willing to give this method a try and post a report that would be extremely valuable!

3. Nanashi

Nanashi Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Generally masses of people don't consume a drug via a certain ROA unless said ROA is effective. Hence why I asked if anyone has tried that method of preparation.

I don't smoke, nor do I consume kratom for that matter.

I can't find anything on the vaporization or decomposition temperature. However, I did find the boiling and melting point temperatures of mitragynine here- http://www.wikidoc.org/index.php/Mitragynine

Boiling point-110-115°C (another source said 102-106°C)
    Melting point HCl salt- 117.22°C
    Melting point- 39 - 41°C

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  4. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Some existing threads on smoking kratom....
    Is it possible to smoke kratom in a vaporizer? https://drugs-forum.com/threads/14413&highlight=smoke

could you make an extact strong enough to smoke? https://drugs-forum.com/threads/80490&highlight=smoke

Possible to smoke kratom extract as opium? https://drugs-forum.com/threads/72272&highlight=smoke

Is it possible to smoke kratom extract? https://drugs-forum.com/threads/4755&highlight=smoke

Plenty of people have tried, ive yet to find any credible evidence it can be effective when smoked.
    The mention in the encyclopedia is vague and not very well researched.

I have tried smoking several kratom products from plain leaf (crushed and powdered) several extracts (powders and resin) and enhanced products like UEI. Never felt anything.

5. Nanashi

Nanashi Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I've read those threads already. None mentioned the palmas leaf combination.
    Have you tried smoking it mixed with the leaf of Lincuala paludosa?

I find it hard to believe that the malay natives would spend the time to make an extract and smoke it if it wasn't effective. Perhaps its the combination with the palmas leaf that enhances it in some way or makes it a more viable ROA.

6. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    But how many natives do you know that use this method?
    Other than this brief mention in an old book have you come across many reports of people smoking it in this way?

7. Nanashi

Nanashi Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    It seemed implied that more than just a few people were doing it. The book isn't old. It was published in 2005.

8. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    I have the book (published in 2005, but the date of the research is unclear, presumably it was compiled over years), but as i say one paragraph without much detail does not really clarify much.
    It is not clear if it is used smoked alone, or in conjunction with an oral dose or quid as many ethnobotanicals are. However there do seem to bea lot of reports of people across the world smoking it with no effect, personally i would take that personal research by hundreds, if not thousands of recreational users over an unclear line in a book.
    The extent of Christian Ratsch's research is unclear. Look at the amount of misinformation about other drugs in the media, it is very possible the people he did this research with were not the actual people supposedly 'smoking' kratom but drug officials.

Perhaps you should try it for yourself?
    It is not difficult to make a water extracted resin.
    The majority of news reports suggest it is sold mostly on the side of the street by vendors who boil the leaves into a tea in Thailand these days. It is often sold in doses given in plastic bags.
    Ive not come across many reports of it being smoked, mostly chewed fresh or made into a tea.

9. Nanashi

Nanashi Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    https://drugs-forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=154129&postcount=6
    https://drugs-forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=154155&postcount=7
    https://drugs-forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=266589&postcount=11
    https://drugs-forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=267319&postcount=13
    https://drugs-forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=275776&postcount=26

Just a small sample of the many people(on this forum) that have gotten a noticeable effect from smoking it. In a thread you commented on no less. Regardless, I don't want this to turn into a debate on whether or not smoking kratom is generally regarded as effective. The topic of this thread is the preparation method in the OP, specifically. Respectfully, please stay on topic.

10. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    3 of the 5 links you posted also included cannabis in the mix.
    The other 2 do not mention if they included other drugs.

Like i said, there are hundreds if not thousands of reports across the internet where people have smoked kratom in various forms without any effect.
    I would be more inclined to believe that the minority who do feel something are feeling a placebo effect.

I would be very surprised if you come across anyone who has smoked the combination you mention in the OP. So unless you want a very empty thread i 'Respectfully' suggest you take all reports of kratom smoking into consideration, especially considering the links you provided have nothing to do with the combination you mentioned.

BTW it is Licuala paludosa, not Lincuala paludosa.
    Im unsure that any Palms in this species have any psychoactive effects?
    I can find no info on them in the book. So if they are adding it to a mix of kratom resin then it is possibly just as a base material to aid in the burning as resin does not burn well by iteself, in fact it does not produce much smoke at all.

I fail to see how my input has been off topic for that reason.
    While i am no expert on kratom i do have close to a decade of experimentation with it in dozens of forms and with multiple methods of ingestion. If you would prefer me to keep my opinions to myself i will be happy to do so. :)
    But as someone who admits to have not even tried kratom i would have thought that any imput regarding the subject of smoking kratom (with or without additional plant matter) would have been beneficial to your thread. Perhaps i was wrong.

11. Nanashi

Nanashi Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Betel nut is the same family. I can't find anything on Licuala paludosa being psychoactive in the book nor on the internet. You are probably right though. It is probably use it to make the extract burn better.

This book has a lot of inconsistencies and outdated/false information. I find myself editing in notes on the borders of half the sections.
    I'll ask my Thai friend about this method of consumption. No doubt he would know.

12. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Christian Ratch, for as much good as he did, also published a lot of crap. He draws some really ridiculous conclusions about how modern musicians view the healing properties of marijhuana based off off cover art of rap albums in his medical marijhuana book.

The people ethnobotanists have as contacts aren't exactly pillars of honesty. Wade Davis's contacts would out right tell him they would lie to him (Mr. Davis was a fraud himself). I myself encountered a contact in the Ngöbe tribe of Panama who lied to us about a number of plants, many were quite obvious, even to us students.

Just saying...

p.s. I swear I'll get my review of Mr. Ratch's medical pot book up, it's pretty amazing in so many aspects, not just the cool recipes, but the lulzy as all fuck views of a 60+ year old stoner looking at modern art.

13. thirdeyelasik

thirdeyelasik Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    When I first heard about kratom I got a resin extract that was supposed to be a 15x type of thing(yeah right..all marketing I would imagine) and it didn't do anything. Tried it orally and it worked amazingly well. I tried smoking a fair amount in "both types" of pipes but nothing but a placebo smoke in the lungs type feeling.

14. ledhead91

ledhead91 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I placed resin on some foil and burned it like h. It actually worked.

I started another thread about it but didn't realize there was a recent one about smoking

15. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    And?
    How much did you smoke?
    What type was it?
    How long did the effects last?
    What were the effects like?
    How did it compare to oral consumption?
    How strong were the effects?

16. ledhead91

ledhead91 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I only used probably .1 grams and it was a resin made from green malaysian. It felt euphoria my mind got cloudy and I got some of the itches and tingly feelings that usually come with an opiate. It lasted a couple of hours. It didnt feel as uplifting as eating green malay , it seemed to only bring the sedating effects. It was still very enjoyable and i was so excited because i felt like i discovered electricity or something.

I took five good hits and they didn't taste bad really, I kind of liked it. It didn't taste as good as bubble hash but it wieerdly reminded me of it. I didn't exhale a lot of smoke but correct me if I'm wrong, I think I'm taking in mostly vapor when I smoke stuff on a foil.

I actually smoked what I had scraped off the sides of my boiling pot. It was a gummy consistensy about like bubble hash. my actual resin will be finished tomorrow and I will let you guys know when I try it. I will give a more accurate report as well.

I also took potentiators that morning ( circumin which I take daily anyway and 400mg of cimetidine)

ledhead91 added 4 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

It tasted like kratom but in the best way possible.

I just wanted to clarify that I didn't mean it tasted like bubble hash but for some reason when I took my first hit it reminded me very much of smoking some good bubble on a foil (which I found gets you goin way better than mixing it with weed)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013