Smoking - Smoking/Snorting Mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by genaro, Mar 30, 2006.

1. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I just answered a thread on another forum and I thought it could be helpful to cut and paste it here:

pure psilocybine powder (which you can extract) you can eat / snort / vapourize / inject / pluggin

now mushrooms are primarly meant to be eaten.
    If you really wanna snort these or smoke into a pipe you would have to crush them in an extremely fine powder, so first they need to be very very dry (but you cannot achieve this by heating them as psilocybin is quite heat sensitive as far as I know).

I remember this castaneda book where the shaman place finely crushed shrooms (+a few finely crushed leaves of some nice tasting plants that will help with the taste of the smoke) in a sealed gourd (made of animal skin so it's waterproof) for one full year which turns these into very fine powder which can be efficiently smoked to achieve a very powerful trip...while smoking the roughly crushed shrooms directly only gives you some very mild psychedelic feeling from persobal experience (not worthwhile doing it, it's a complete waste of shrooms)...so most probably it would be the same problem when snorting it.

The problem is that it will be quite hard to crush the shrooms in a fine enough powder as shrooms seem soft and very flexible so that a powerful blender might reduce these into very small pieces, but getting a fine powder will be tricky unless you can place a large quantity (several doses) of very dry shrooms in a blender, blend these for a long time, and them sieve the powder (use a very finely meshed sieve) to separate the finer particles (flour consistencey) that you will smoke/snort (and keep the large particules remaining in the siece for oral use)
    Once this has been done, you might also humidify the fine shroom powder with a solution of water+edible lime (the one used for the bettle chew which is safe) or baking soda in order to help with the absorption by basifying the actives (just like one would do for yopo): use a vaporizer to humidify the powder with the solution and then let the shroom powder dry until it's perfectly dried and return to the consistency of some "volatile flour" (meaning it must be dry enough so the powder isn't lumpy/agglomerated anymore due to humidity)

This method would probably also apply to any other plants primarly meant to be eaten (as long as the oral dose is small enough to be insufflated).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  2. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Yes, Swim herself or boyo has never tried snorting as far as psilocybin is involved, and Psilocybin cannot be smoked or vaporized due to the fact the alkaloid is destroyed under high temputures. Pure Psilocybin could be injected, orally, pluggin (as u put it)

3. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    well I know shrooms can be smoked despite the low temperature decomposition of psilocybin

4. r-evolution

r-evolution Newbie

Reputation Points:
    so, how fast will the psilo flood in the blood/brain when snorted?

5. fatal

fatal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    swim told me that in any bag of commericail dried mushrooms large enough there is alot of very fine powder at the bottom. as far as if this is snortable/smokable... who knows... it would seem better to do a few quick extractions with solvents and get some more pure material and try to work with that... we generally call this an extract... a very simple concept... obviously though the better way to do it would be to go and just acquire some very pure psilocybin. this would be exceedingly difficult to do for most people though...

6. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    well with snorted/vapourized psilocybin the come up would be a matter of minutes (possibly almost instant with vapourisation as long you can find a way to smoke it without detroying the molecule wich is quite heat sensitive)

7. fatal

fatal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    that all aside nasal administration of a relatively pure extracted material made from the mushrooms would work. even a 10% psilocybin extract would be 100 mg to a gram making the dose roughly 100 mg of extract nasally. if the product were pure, or pure enough it could be vapourised as long as one does not cross the line of the chemical breakdown point. obviously this means low indirect heat (implied in vaporization[the smoking method]).
    just conjecture and theory here... swim personally doesnt have the motivation to go and try to smoke pure psilocybin or and extract of it.

8. hh339

hh339 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    acctually, smoking amanita muscaria which have been dried the right way produces a really nice high somewhat comparable to haschish (wouldn´t recommend it as a cannabis alternative but if theres no available, swim gladly smokes a couple of agaric;). here in the summer you can go outside and pick them fresh, 4 full big grocery bags in around 30 minutes;)

9. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    thats amantia species not nothing like psilocybin producing, I have to agree with boomer2, I has heard about people doing stupid things like snorting and smoking mushrooms or psilocybin extract, when in swims opinion and it always better consumed. but then the only other method of introduction would be I.V or I.M and would have to be in pure form. but then why bother most of swim joys always comes from consuming them

10. jduba

jduba Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    juts eat em or make tea it will save time and save what could turn out to be waisted product.

11. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Next Up: Rectal Mycelium - How to grow Psilocybe Pelliculosa up one's own asshole! Never have to leave your house again. Your very own permenant supply of trips is only a Yoga Lesson away!

(Check the date this was posted on: April Fools!)

12. chAos

chAos Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o from belgium
    swim never snorted or smoked mushrooms, but swim knows from a very reliable source that you can smoke mushrooms. The effects last only 15-30 minutes and it isn't as strong as eating it, so it's a total waste of mushrooms, but you can smoke it. Swim never even thought of snorting them :), I don't like snorting. Also after drying mushrooms, it's quite easy to get them into real fine powder if you have a good grinder.

13. fatal

fatal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    many psilocybe's also contain baeocystin as well as psilocybin and psilocin. it is possible that this could be smokable and responsible for the short term lightweight effects reported bysome from smoking mushrooms. if i had more gumption i would read a workup on the molecule andfindout more relevantinformation. thats all off the top though... maybe later. dunno... anyone else have something relevant to contribute on this one? i hope i dont get the opportunity to post this info as i would think someonewill beat me to it.

14. fatal

fatal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_info4.shtml

P. azurenscens = .35% baeocystin

P. semilanceata = .36% baeocystin

just the two highest i found cited in that link so i figured it would be worth pointing out. actual data on the psychoactive effects of baeocystin (4-Phosphoryloxy-N-methyltryptamine) and its close relative norbaeocystin (4-Phosphoryloxytryptamine) was hard to come by and appears to be extremely rare. they are presumed to be hallucinogenic, but after looking into their chemistry the structural relationship is so close between psilocybin-psilocin-baeocystin-norbaeocystin that you would go to assume that it would make sense that these compounds may also be sensitive to heat. in fact it was pointed out in one reference i found that baeocystin is noted to degrade considerably with age. however i also found a reference to the fact that psilocybe baeocystis has been found before to contain smaller amounts of DMT. this in any significant amount could contribute to a light buzz from smoking the material in question. either way the chemistry of mushrooms is honestly not as straightforward as people have apparently gone ahead to assume. to generalize that smoking mushrooms can have no effect whatsoever is simply ignorant unless you either A: have experience attempting to smoke a significant amount of psilocybe strains that you could be sure or B: you have done actual research into the chemistry of the mushrooms and their composition to disprove that their is any other significant amount of any psychoactive compound other than psilocybin and its degrading counterparts. now you know... and knowing is half the battle.

15. big-lester

big-lester Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    if anyone acquires some p. azurescens, DO NOT SMOKE/SNORT IT! that would be the biggest waste ever, cuz you can't find em anywhere, only 1-2 months a year in just a few smartshops in holland, if you're REALLY lucky. I was :).
    p. azurescens are by far the best mushrooms, most colourful, fewest side effects, and feelings of intense relaxation throughout your entire body. this almost isn't a mushroom, it's something else. for SWIM azurescens comes closer to acid than to mushrooms.
    also, SWIM and a friend tried smoking some p. cubensis in a joint, there were some effects, but it was minimal, maybe it was just placebo. the colors might have appeared to be a bit brighter, and feeling a bit weird, but this is just a big waste of your shrooms. SWIM also heard that shrooms are a real killer for your lungs, so just EAT EM!

16. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    lol nag, you laughed at swim for stickin a cactus up swims ass, swim rather have a torch in the ass then a yeast infection in swims anus....

17. fatal

fatal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    go ahead and laugh should be getting a flush from my colon in about a week and then we'll see whos laughing... ;)

:beer

18. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    fatal... plz remember to post pics from swiy's harvest in the mushroom growing pics section :)... and wash you hands

19. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim once put shroom powder into a joint and smoked it. He used a butane lighter to light it as it has a higher burning temperature. It tasted quite bad, and after a bit more than half the joint I was almost at the point of puking. Swim experieced mild psychedelic effects in addition to the normal marijuana high.

I haven't tried to snort the powder, but he thinks that may have worked much better than what he tried. One possible problem was the burning temperature of the powder. If swim tries this again he will probably use a torch lighter and smoke with a bong to maximize the efficiency. This will most likely produce better effects.

20. fatal

fatal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    probably the psilocin/psilocybin would be caught up in the fungal matter and unable to pass into the blood stream through nasal ingestion. however a more pure extract as i mentioned earlier in this thread would probably work rather well via insufflation as I has suggested that the other chemicals from this family, being 4-ho-mipt 4-ho-dipt 4-ho-det etc, all work via insufflation. the close chemical properties and similarities between these chemicals suggest that if those work via IN administration that the DMT homologues would also function very similarly.