Culture - Smoking with people on LSD: Contact High?

Discussion in 'LSD' started by jesu, Feb 18, 2007.

1. jesu

jesu Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Would it be at all possible for someone who has not taken LSD to get some mild effects of it if they smoked with 3 other people who have taken LSD previously the same night?

2. podge

podge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Re: Smoking with people on LSD

No. How would this be possible? If someone doesnt take LSD and they smoke with people who have....how would they possibly trip? The only explanations would be

A) Swiys friends put liquid LSD on the roach of the spliff
    ( swim presumes You was smoking marijuana and not tobacco)

B) You got very stoned and felt slightly tripped out
    ( This is the more likely explanation )

But I do find that their is a different atmosphere while surrounded by people tripping .....maybe You got momentarily caught up in this atmosphere with the aid of cannabis.

3. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland

A candidate for the stupids questions archive.

4. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:

There are reports of "contact highs" in PIHKAL and TIHKAL. So it is not unheard of.

5. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

Beat me to it. Contact-highs with people not on psychedelics present with tripping people have been a well known phenomena since the 1960's.

6. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland

Is this proven? Shouldn't be the sort of thing that is accepted if it isn't.

7. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

How could one go about proving a subjective psychological state of mind? What sort of test(s) could be given? How could the results be evaluated and by whom? This would be more along the lines of para-psychology.

None the less, we've know about contact-highs for around 40 years.

(Besides - might as well hijack this thread to a useful direction, rather than putting it in Woodie's Woodshed)

8. podge

podge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland

How could this be possible ? Fair enough if shulgin says its true then it probably is...... but how on earth could someone get psychedelic effects by being near someone who is tripping? Does the brain release the natural chemicals which are similar to that of LSD or other psychedelic compounds ? Is this some from of telepathic link between two people where the tripper can tune into the sober persons brain activity in some way? Is there any information that proves this without a shadow of a doubt or is it still only speculation ? Can a "contact high" be experienced by a person who has never touched a psychedelic drug ? Is there a chance that "contact highs" are related to flashbacks? Sorry if swim seems stuborn on the matter.....it just seems highly implausable. Could jesu or someone else on the forum give a "contact high" trip report?

9. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

Have you ever met someone who gave you "the creeps" being around? Like a feeling of anxiety and free-floating tension? I'm not saying the two are related - but it would operate under the same, albeit inexplicable, principle.

10. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Swia has had this sensation with boyo when he was on psilo- containg mushrooms, the small group of people seemed to be with us and him on the same cord so to speak..

So yes. we just seem to feel in the same space as the person present on acute effects . strange connection but nice and peaceful and homey sort of feeling. well she tried.. :p

11. CRUNK

CRUNK Newbie

Reputation Points:

I guess when your around people who are tripping you feel like your tripping because of the conversation you have with them, their body language, just basicly the way they do everything is going to reflect on them tripping.

So this is what I'm thinking, someone who has actually triped before can get a this so called 'contact buzz' because they know what it feels like to actually be tripping. Maybe like a flashback or something. I don't know, I really don't get it, but this is only a guess.

12. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

well, contact highs are quite possible (just go at a huge rave with some 10000 people trippin on lsd, you'll see)
    That's an empathic phenomenom.

other than that I noticed that when one which has been taking lsd blotter a few minutes ago is drinking directly from a bottle (of wine for instance), and you are drinking directly from the same bottle, then you might get some slight lsd effect.
    This happened to me once, I drank quite some alcohol from the bottle my friends (that were on lsd) were drinking from, didn't smoke anything but cigarettes, and found my self laughing my head off a few 20-40 minutes later (from absorption of minute doses of lsd that were on the bottle)...and I can say this wasn't contact high related as I do know how I feel when contact trippin and that was different, neither was it alcohol related as this wasn't feeling like an alcohol euphoria, this laughing was the real deal, meaning stupid no-reason drug hilarity which is quite easily recognizable.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  13. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
  14. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland

The term "contact high" is what I'm having difficulty with. Wouldn't "proximity high" or "atmospheric high" make more sense seeing as this supposed high is spread through emotions rather than an actual chemical reaction?

15. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Thinking about it: Surely this is the same sort of thing as pets behaving oddly when they're with people who have taken psychedelics? That happens all the time.

16. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Yes, swia has encountered this with horses and with cats too. They just seem to know something is different and will separate you from those not altered in that way by icey cold stares she gets from the horses anyway. The cats seem to just want to be next to her and keep her company normally thou this would not be the case.

17. chAos

chAos Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o from belgium

Maybe, but the horses looking at swia might be an effect from the drug, and maybe the cat keeps her company because she is more relaxed as when she is sober.

18. podge

podge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland

I believe that animals are much better than humans at picking up vibes, but when a person is tripping they are tuned into all these vibes too and animals are aware of this change in trippers. I was tripping with his kitten around and the kitten got very interested in My friends and I and kitten seemed to feed off My friends and I vibes and started putting on a bit of show cause she seemed to get more and more into it .....running around and diving into plastic bags and generally going nuts ( in a playfull sort of way ) . While usually the kitten just lay in front of the fire or hid behind the couch. tripping or rolling with pets is very interesting I think. but I do not think the animal is tripping , just interested in the emotional change in the human , and would not consider it as a contact high.

19. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

She would agree possibly with the cat, as her sober monkeys had said before Swia had laid eye contact on the horses they had noticed them stare at her before she was told about it yet they took no interest in them who were sober one was stoned she recalls. Usually the cat dont wanna know. but seems to show an immense interest on when on psychedelics.

20. CRUNK

CRUNK Newbie

Reputation Points:

I agree, I know a guy who was tripping who's cats went balistic when he was tripping, (in a playfull sort of way of course.) Animals are actually really smart creatures and they can sense when something is not right. Swim never knew how loyal his pets where until he triped with them one day. Because they knew that he wasn't right, and they just stayed with him to make sure he was going to be ok.:)