1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Health - Snorting Pills/Lung Damage

Discussion in 'The euphoric body' started by Jdubs, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Jdubs

Jdubs Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have been nasally inhaling Rx pills for years. Not often, 5 to 10 times a year at the very most.

Most commonly dexedrine time release, oxycontin instant release, morphine time release. Also the odd random pill.

Swim from time to time may also be using cocaine and ketamine in small spaced out amounts. Only god knows what these fine specimens are cut with.

I am more concerned about the Rx pills as I has heard some ramblings that some of the inhaled fine powdered pills can can cause lung damage....how serious is this? What are the long term implications? Swim can't find any good articles, reports, or studies on this subject. Just a few snippets here and there.

What are the consequences and how much use is going to cause long term troubles? Any links and personal experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Nnizzle

Nnizzle Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o from earth
    The frequency of swiy's insufflation doesn't really put him in much danger. Insufflation of anything is never a good idea, as it is inevitable that some portion of the powder will enter the lungs. One is doing damage to the lungs whenever anything is snorted really, however insignificant. The more powder is snorted, the more powder there is which might end up in the lungs. My dog can't say much about long term insufflation, but he imagines that damage is dose and frequency dependent. 5 or 10 times a year, depending on how much is being snorted, is not really something to worry about. The nasal cavity is really what is being deteriorated during insufflation, my dog would worry more about that than the lungs, however again, 5 to 10 times a year is really not bad. Think about people who do lines every weekend... most of them live otherwise healthy lives and it doesn't seem to be a huge concern.

Long term implications would be damage to the nasal cavity and perhaps some damage to the lining of the lungs or buildup of fine powder. However a lot of people live in places where breathing the air outside will do more damage than whatever powder makes it to the lungs during insufflation. My dog can't say if that is really true but it sounds good enough. Dexedrine and oxy ir are pretty small amounts of powder. The more binders a pill has, the more damage it can do because more powder needs to be snorted.

Someone attached two articles which might be of interest:
    science.pdf concerns the pulmonary (lung related) pathology (cause of disease) of drug abuse, the other is an article about a lung disease caused by abuse of cocaine. Keep in mind, again, that swiy's use is nowhere near that of cocaine users.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  3. Jdubs

Jdubs Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanks this was very informative...something that should be brought more in these circles. I have only heard hints of this mentioned in a few forums and articles.

Any cats out there have personal experiences with long term use and damage?

4. Euthanatos93420

Euthanatos93420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I posted this in the other thread that linked to this one after reading the above posted articles.

5. chibi curmudgeon

chibi curmudgeon Gold Finger Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Also, powder has to be ground up super-fine to actually make it to the lungs. Powders for inhalation, like salmeterol and other asthma medications, are incredibly fine particles--you couldn't make your own asthma meds with a mortar and pestle. Also, those drugs aren't inhaled up your nose, but breathed in through your mouth.

Your respiratory system has all kinds of stuff lining it specifically to prevent solids from making it to your alveoli. Particles you inhale have to be not only tiny, but also inhaled with enough force to carry them past all the cilia and mucus. Your nose stops a lot of crap. What your nose doesn't catch (or when you breathe through your mouth) your trachea and bronchi will. And when you cough, you bring the crap caught in the mucus and cilia to the back of your throat and then swallow it. (Apologies to anyone eating while reading this....)

Tobacco smoke, btw, paralyzes your cilia, making it harder for them to toss out the crap. So someone who smokes regularly would have a harder time dealing with crap in their lungs than non-smokers.

So long story short, You isn't likely to have significant lung damage from snorting anything, especially if not done frequently and if he doesn't have any respiratory problems to begin with.

6. Tony197688

Tony197688 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o from Ohio

7. Tony197688

Tony197688 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o from Ohio
    Your nuts saying his infrequent use is not particularly dangerous, I lost a brother and it was the first time he snorted Percocet, it stopped his heart and he was 18 and healthy as a horse man, you need to be educated with real facts not just your opinion. It can take 200 times to inflict just slight damage, or just 1 time to achieve death. Your comment is very disturbing and tells me you know nothing of the truth and should not be allowed on a site that lets people think you know the truth, and by the way I am a doctor at a very prestigious hospital, I see these things every day, seek medical advice from your physician before you think what your reading on this site is true, or you will end up doing damage, out killing yourself!!!

8. aemetha

aemetha Insomniac Member Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from New Zealand
    This post intrigued me, but when I tried to look into it I couldn't find any explanation as to how this could occur except as a consequence of respiratory failure (although the claim is made in several places throughout the internet without substantiation). Could you please elaborate on this? This might be useful information for members if you can substantiate that your brothers cause of death was due to dangers inherent with the ROA irrespective of the substance. As it stands your brother could have experienced a run of the mill overdose and been pronounced dead of cardiac arrest, exactly as was the case with Michael Jackson for example. The ROA does make overdose more likely, but that is due to the rapid introduction of the substance, something shared with other common ROA's including injection.

I have no reason to doubt your credentials, but as a physician and having spent several years in academic study you will no doubt be aware that anecdotes should never be used to infer statistics about entire populations, and do not constitute causality. When it comes to illicit substance use, the sheer volume of misinformation and hysteria is staggering. After all, not too many years ago there were public service announcements informing people that using any illicit substance would cause them to experience a spontaneous transplant of a persons brain for damaged gestational poultry. Drug users as a rule are understandably suspicious about claims that may appear on the surface exaggerated. If there is a reason this particular ROA is more dangerous than others, then any literature on the subject or explanation of exactly the circumstances involved and causality is more likely to be believed, and therefore help improve safety for drug users.

Please also consider the context of the comment you quoted. This is a thread about possible lung damage due to snorting pills, the post you have quoted is not commenting on cardiac issues at all when he says it is not particularly dangerous.

9. Cid Lysergic

Cid Lysergic Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    26 y/o from Calgary, Alberta
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your brother, @Tony197688. Is it a possibility that he was on another substance at the time as well that you may not know of? Like maybe he was incredibly drunk at the time & the mix of depressants with opiods is pretty well documented to cause respiratory failure to name one complication. Or was he just hypersensitive/hyper-alergenic (we are all allergic to Opioids, that is why we get the itching rash feeling) to Opioids? Sorry, I don't mean to question your brothers death, it is just suprising that off a single percocet he bit the dust. If that is the case, I consider myself hell of lucky as my first experience with Oxycodone (or Opiods besides raw opium) was me doing an entire 80mg first time.

10. Sickodamus

Sickodamus Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Some pills are just powder when crushed, I've experienced breathing and the powder going out of my nasal cavities to inside my throat and out of my nose, so it probably go for the lungs too.
    I can't say about my personal experience because I have asthma and I've been snorting pills since 8 years ago, not frequently but when I do a binge snorting pills I start coughing a lot, the same goes for cocaine.
    We can perceive in a short-term a throat damage, but the lung damage is probably because of long term snorting, also there are other problems are related to the substance and blood flow to the lungs.
    I'm almost sure the powder of the pill is the real problem in pill snorting, not the substance itself, but from my personal experience I can say it's harmful to the body itself, as I.V street drugs.
    The substance would absorb very fast, and the side effects are mostly unpredictable, snorting depressants like opioids is not recommended.

What plays a essential role in pill snorting is the frequency, and what the pill is made, the substance changes the frequency, for methylphenidate you'd snort lot's of pills causing a little damage in short-term but a bigger damage to the lung and body itself in a long-term, probably due to the fact that you are more susceptible to infections when your air passages are filled with binders and fillers; they make your nose and throat sore, i had a very bad infections related to this.
    Concerta (Methylphenidate long-release) is very harmful to the lung, but Ritalin is much less in comparission.
    Nowadays my intranasal cavities are clearly damaged, but i feel no lung damage, except for a chronic coughing but that's from asthma :p

I think the lung damage is more indirectly related, so cleaning your nose after a binge probably would decrease damage.