1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Experiences - So why would SWIY chose kratom tea over toss n wash?

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by TheSweetPea, May 26, 2010.

1. TheSweetPea

TheSweetPea Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Someone that isn't me asked why You would make a tea over the simple toss and wash? It seems like the toss n wash is far more effective, hits SWIM better, and uses at least half as much Kratom.

Is there something I am missing here?

2. Demosthysias

Demosthysias Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Re: So why would You chose tea over toss n wash?

Some people may enjoy just drinking the tea. some may not be able to toss and wash, due to the nasty taste and whatnot. it's all about preference.

3. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland

I have been using Kratom for about 5 years and prefers the effects from drinking tea over toss and wash.

I find drinking tea gives him more intense euphoria, he believes this is because the alkaloids have already been extracted into liquid which can be absorbed easier and quicker than with tossing leaf/powders which have to be broken down by the body and having its alkaloids extracted.

Toss and washing Kratom might utilise more alkaloids and the effects might last longer but they have never been as intense for Swim as when he drinks a well made cup of Kratom tea.

4. Oxymorphone

Oxymorphone Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.

This is interesting. I had the same question as the OP really, never thought about it this way.

I'd say the main reason to NOT toss n' wash kratom is it's bitter flavor and it's consistency (powder, coarse, does not rinse down well). If not done right it can cause lots of funny coughing and gagging and throwing up. Sometimes ground kratom can really be persistent...

SWIM still uses the toss n' wash method because he usually takes his Kratom at 5:15 - 5:30am, just before leaving for work and he can't be fucked with making tea. Of course he could already just have the tea prepared.. maybe the real reason is laziness. =)

I will definitely have to try making the tea some time though, to see if he notices any additional euphoria or notable duration changes.

5. TheSweetPea

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I tried making tea... twice and he said it used far more. Like 1.25 TBS will get him high for at least 3+ hours. Now when he made tea he would use at least 15g and it would taste AWFUL and he just didn't feel the effects all-so-well.

Does lime / lemon really help with extraction? I was shouting in the streets "I never used lemon or lime in my Kratom tea!".

6. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland

Maybe You is just not making Kratom tea right? What method do they use?
    I have heard far too many people complain about kratom tea but when asked how they make it they just add the Kratom to a cup and pour in hot water like you would making regular tea.

Sure it tastes like shite, but I do not like Kratom for its taste he likes it for its effects.

I take about 20 grams, adds it to a pot with a squeeze of lemon juice and a shot of vodka and adds about a pint of water and boils it for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally.

He removes the leaf and liquid from the pot and strains out the liquid, returns the leaf to the pot and repeats the process again.

When the second boil has been strained he combines both liquids and either drinks it or boils it down gently to a smaller amount and drinks that.

Taking 20 grams toss and wash does not give Swim the same level of euphoria, plus it gives him terrible constipation. The effects last longer but are more drawn out and less intense.

7. Mr.Bliss

Mr.Bliss Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o from U.S.A.

I am just going to throw in his two cents.

I have always found it easier, faster, and more effective to just toss'n'wash his Kratom. (Commercial Grade Bali Powder) SWIM usually uses about 30g per dose. He tosses a 3rd of it in his mouth, takes a gulp of pomegranate soda (no relevance, just SWIM happens to always use it), swirls it around his mouth, and swallows. And repeat.

He has tried making the tea several times, using several different methods, ranging from complicated filtering processes and boiling down the water to just steeping it. Not once has the tea been any more efficient for him. The effects may come faster, but they never come stronger, and I have to use more Kratom to make an equilavently strong tea dose compared to a toss'n'wash dose. 20 Toss'N'Washed gives the same effects of a 25-30g tea in SWIM's experience.

SWIM's conculusion, in his opinion, is that the tea is for those who cannot stand the taste of the powder and/or would just like to enjoy a nice cup of tea. (SWIM always enjoys a nice cup of tea with a good book to read, rather pleasurable he must say.)

8. jamajessie

jamajessie Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I agree with you. I took kratom for almost 3 years. When I made tea she got no where the effect of toss and wash.
    Swim abused kratom. I had to let it go.I had a very hard time getting off kratom. Swim thinks kratom kicks ass and is better than any opiate on the market.

9. TheSweetPea

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

SWIJamajessie, SWIM wanted to know what you take now since you quit Kratom, or how you got off it? Is You sober now? SWIM quit a 6 year oxycodone addiction. Sadly every time he's gone through awful W/Ds he never had kratom OR suboxone so the terrible W/Ds kept getting worse and worse over the years. The idea of any worse W/Ds keeps SWIM away from the drug.

SWIM still enjoys a suboxone to keep his opiate urges at bay, and kratom is just downright awesome but he does NOT want to abuse it like he did with hte opiates. Any suggestions to keep his tolerance and withdrawals at bay?

10. NeveroddoreveN

NeveroddoreveN Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Is swim the only guy who makes a tea but leaves the powder/leaf in the cup? He will just chuck his measurd does in a mug, add half a cup of boiled water from the kettle and let it steep for 20 mins before adding some sugar or honey and/or spices and chugging the whole potion in a few gulps.
    He doesnt find the taste all that bad, and figures he gets the best of both tea and tossNwash; quicker onset from partial extraction and a more efficient high from ingesting all the kratom material.
    I dont see how tossNwash could have any advantages over this method, apart from avoiding taste which I think is quite over exaggerated anyway.

11. jamajessie

jamajessie Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I have been off kratom for over a year. I was also taking anything else she could find except for heroin and meth and methadone. Swim never shot up. I would make poppy seed tea, take any pill she could find. Swim never met a drug she didnt like. So I got fed up and tired of wondering where her next buzz was coming from, and all the money she wasted and people she neglected, used and hurt. I went to detox and was on suboxone but now is off and clean of everything( except an antidepressant lexapro cuz I am a crazy bitch). I go to group meeting almost every week. I dont even drink. I am in her late 30's but feels like she has finally grown up now.

12. kratom

kratom Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from ghana

Tea has an advantage over the powder when it comes to digesting and mixing.
    SWIM often uses his powder or leaves with lime (extract alkaloids) and adds ginger, cinnamon and galangal (lengkaus) to it. Improves the taste and stops constipation and nausea.

13. The.KK

The.KK Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from afghanistan

I haven't tried TnW yet but he will during his next batch. What he did before is boiling some water and then pouring it on the Kratom in a small teapot for making actual teas. He would let it sit there covered for 15min stirring on occasion and then pour it in a glass, then he would take new boiling water and put it into the teapot again and while he waits another 15min he drinks the first brew. And then the 2nd brew.

It worked very well for SWIM but he wondered if eating the kratom left in the teapot would add anything to the experience. He might try next time.

14. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland

It probably would, I have tried using that method before and is in no doubt that a proper double 15 minute boil in a pot extracts far more alkaloids. I wouldn't bother making Kratom tea in the same way he would make a cup of tea, its just not as effective in his opinion.

15. Kamuix

Kamuix Newbie

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from Canada

Swim pills and tosses that. The tea is nasty but still is better than toss & wash in a way since you're drinking it and you can drink more at a time then you can tossing.

16. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland

The down side is that the capsules don't always dissolve at the same time, sometimes they don't dissolve at all, so the Kratom is being absorbed at different rates and not all together as would happen with T&W or Tea meaning You is not always getting as strong an effect as with other methods.

In My opinion using caps is great to get past the taste but its the least effective method of taking Kratom.

17. kratom

kratom Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from ghana

Adding lime or lemon is essential in making tea. If you let the leaves/powder soak in a water/lime mixture (75%/25%) before boiling, you will not need a second boil, nor eat the leaves afterwards.

18. arizona79

arizona79 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

An ounce a pop?! That sure is a lot.

19. Mainline

Mainline Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    xan anyone please explain exactly what is "toss & wash"? thanks,

20. TheSweetPea

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Ugh so SWIM made a very potent kratom tea, and it was so disgusting he thought he was going to vomit. And he can eat / drink ANYTHING. It tasted like someone puked into a cup full of sour milk, and heI had to drink it. How can You stand it?