Solvents

Discussion in 'Peyote & San Pedro' started by Bez, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Bez

Bez Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I would be interested in performing an extraction of his cacti, but he needs to know more about the solvents he can use to do this as he doesn't know what the legal uses are for these solvents so is a bit wary of going to ask for them and isn't sure where to get them from exactly. I have UTFSE and couldn't find the answer in any existing threads....
    So:
    what solvents can I use, where can he get them and what are they used for(by normal people)?

Any help greatly appreciated !

:D

2. Powdered Sugar

Powdered Sugar Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Citric acid is used for recipes and to stop fruit from browning it can also been found under the name sour salt. if you wanting to use stronger acid like muratic acid its often used as a drive way or side walk cleaner and if you looking for sodium hydroxide you should ask for it in its common name Lye wich is used to make soap, aluminum etching and many other things. its even used in some food preperation.

3. Powdered Sugar

Powdered Sugar Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    oh yeah i forgot to mention were to get Them sour salt (citric acid) you can get at a grocery store, muratic acid and xylol also Known as xylene can be found in the paint department of a harware store. as for sodium hydroxide you may have to look for a chem shop but they may have it at the harware store and trust me as soon as you ask them they will ask you whats it used for. so id recomend saying somthing like. "im looking for some lye to do some aluminium etching"

4. Bez

Bez Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Thanks Guys,

I have his HCL and NAOH but not xylene as all of the hardware stores near him don't stock it. Would Methanol or some other solvent be good enough to replace xylene?

5. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    In the USA, xylene is sold OTC, in nearly every hadrware store.. May be under the brand name xylol... Toluene will also work fine.. Any popular chain should carry both.. Swim thinks one isn't looking in the right place, as every hardware store from the east coast to the west coast and all the states inbetween all carry it (everyone I has ever enterd, has both toluene and xylene).. It can be used to clean paint brushes and is an extemely powerful solvent, good for cleaning tools...