some betel products

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by Benga, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Benga

Benga Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from japan
    [​IMG]

2. Benga

Reputation Points:
    from japan
    limstone paste (white and..pink), food grade amonia alkali, betel shreds, plaster, betelnut powder, betelnut dried slices, pan parag (export pack and indian bought packets), dried betel leaves. You can also get fresh pan leaves, and i'm sure with a little searching you can actually find a good pan wallah, but i haven't looked.

3. Cuba

Cuba Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    -Which one produced the best effects in your opinion, benga?
    -What brand would you recomend and best dosage?

4. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I hate the betel taste....never been able to keep it in my mouth for more than 1 minute

5. Richard_smoker

Richard_smoker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I hate the sensation of how it seems to pull up all the moisture from my entire body, just to wet the nuts enough to actually chew 'em. then when you spit them out, it's like trying to spit out the entire inside layer of your mouth!

6. Benga

Reputation Points:
    from japan
    well none of these problems with a properly prepared pan masala, ie betel limestone paste and spices. I would say this is SWIM's favorite, but he leaves the preparation to the sometimes questionably clean hands of this man in an indian supermarket. leaf is soaking in water, add the spices the betel and lime stone paste, roll and pop in the mouth.
    chewing the nut on it's own is tough indeed, but maceration works. It's also a good idea to soak it in water before chewing, might help....
    no real brand available, I would recommend betel nut slices, fresh areca catechu and dried betel leaves...

7. jbmac

jbmac Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I tried the PARAG packet betal nut with spices, tastes good, but very irritating to the gums, so swim just swallows a few chunks with food and water. Mild euphoria, caffiene buzz. Nothing special.

8. IdiotBox

IdiotBox Newbie

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o
    I have tried the Pan Parag Masala in the blue packets in the picture and found these to be pleasant, if a little spicy, and definately produced a mild stimulation like taking some ephedra or a few cups of coffee. I have also combined the Parag masala with caffeine with unpleasant results...jittery, palpitations, mild dizziness. I had to lay down for an hour or so...:(

I think that after a nice meal of Indian or Pakistani cuisine a nice betel quid would hit the spot nicely, as is the tradition.