Some info - With concentration on the scoring of Pods

Discussion in 'Opium & Poppy' started by yppop, Jul 20, 2004.

1. yppop

yppop Newbie

Reputation Points:
    There's a lot of posts with no knowledge going on.

1st. You CAN get opium Poppies in the grocery Store.

The Poppy seeds you get on bagles & Rolls are Opium Poppy seeds. & the seeds in the stores Are Opium seeds. Do an image search on Google, & look at the various poppy seed types, & compare the spice rack seed to the Papaver Somniferum or "Opium Poppy" seed. They are the same.

2nd. You CAN eat the opium from the pod. You can make tea with it, or smoke it too.. but YES, eating the opium is a viable means of ingesting Opium. it also has a longer lasting effect. Smoking will produce more of a "rush" than eating it.

3rd. DON'T slice pods in the AM to drain during the day. The heat of the day will cause the latex to ooze too fast, & you'll lose your Opium to the ground. Also, sunlight will weaken the Alkaloids & make a weaker Opium..... Scrape at night, & allow the pod to drain in the cool night air. This will allow the opium to ooze more slowly, & stick to the pod for collection in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2007
  2. Woodman

Woodman A very strange person. Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from U.S.A.
    Pods must be sliced with a special knife. The depth of the cut not to excede 1 mm. or your sap will bleed back into the pod.

3. yppop

yppop Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM discovered that if you take one of those "Stanley" boxcutters, & push the blade out 1/2 way to the 1st short click that is just about the perfect cutting depth,... depending on the pod.

Just a little tidbit..

:eek:)

4. pancho

pancho Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Minnesota, U.S.A.
    i heard to use a pin to scrap it. does that work or would it not be deep enough

5. Kemikaru_Tenshu

Kemikaru_Tenshu Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o
    Tape a match stick to aneedle so just the tip of the needle is free.

~KT

6. Woodman

Woodman A very strange person. Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from U.S.A.
    You can get a clean slice by pushung an exacto-knife blade through a wine cork until just the point comes out from the other end.

If you sand down the top of the cork to form a slightly concave profile, you can use 2-3 exacto blades and get 2-3 slices in one draw.

7. bassintro

bassintro Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from india
    wow, I am going to the supermarket and but a thing of mccormick poppy seeds and sprinkle them all around my yard. Right now is about the time to start? mid february? It's pretty cold outside here around northern philadelphia suburbs, maybee about 45 degrees.

8. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Too cold... Wait until earlyspring

9. bogumil

bogumil Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    No offend MrJim. But the seeds are usually put in the ground in fall. The sproutscan take temperatures to -5 C. February actually is the best time to sprinkle seeds: Enough moisture, cool and the right day length.The earlier you plant, the more possible it is that you avoid the high times of aphids, too. I planted in mid. Feb. this year.

Peace.Edited by: bogumil

10. mtndawg

mtndawg Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Indiana, U.S.A.
    bassintro..Don't waste Swiyou time or money on grocery store seeds. Speaking from experience...I have tried this method with bad results...most grocery store seeds have been treated ending with a non viable seed. Best bet is to purchase some pods w/seeds off a internet auction site. I am using (3) different strains of p.somnifirum with germination times ranging from 4 to 6 days. Almost all seeds germ. and I know what type of poppy will result from endevour.

Also a plus...Swiyou can make some tea from leftover pod shells, stems, and pcs. All this for the price of about (2) bottles of grocery shelf seeds!

good luck and peace

11. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'm sure bassintro has been sitting on the edge of his seat since Feb 2005 waiting for that answer...

12. samuraigecko

samuraigecko Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    LoL. thats the funniest thing one has read in a long time.

and mtndawg. the "treated" seeds are not very successfully treated. SWIyou will find that about 1 in 10 will still sprout. And when SWIyour talking in the 10's of thousands in a regular grocery store packet, thats a hell of a lot of seed that is going to sprout. I have worked with seeds from this stock before, some of it (through selective breeding) had become some of the Best stock he has.

Do a search on the threads started by me, and SWIyou will see what SWIM means.

Hope this has helped. :)

13. TDIDriver

TDIDriver Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I agree with samuraigecko...the McCormick Papaver somniferum L seeds are sold as a food spice / additive and any type of chemical treatment would make the product unfit in the food market.

Like any other seed your going to have viability ratios that will vary due to how the seeds were processed. Since these seeds were intended for human consumption they were not processed as plant seed stock. The plants are processed in different manners depending upon their intended usage. But even as a food additive, these seeds will have good (not great) viability in the average garden.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008