speed...addictive???

Discussion in 'Amphetamine' started by Qish, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Qish

Qish Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    63 y/o
    (this is for people worried about getting addicted to speed)

ok i dont really know much here, I'v done a lot of ice...which i
    eventidently isnt around all over but to my understanding its meth that
    is cooked like crack, or some shit...one person put it to me like this
    "Speed is to ice as coke is to crack"

but anyhoe, its a crystal and you put it in a glass pipe and smoke it
    (just making sure we have an understanding here, not to be confused
    with pills and what not..)

but to my point, from my few (20 or 30 times smoking it) there was
    nothing addictive about it...i used to smoke it almost on a weekly
    basis because where i lived i knew a lot of people that smoked it,
    basically what i would feel was just an overwhelming feeling of
    momentum and excitment...energy felt like it was splashing across my
    body like cold water...hugging a person was a real physically pleasing
    event. but there was no real positive feelings that came from the
    drug,,,it was mostly just energy and i didnt want to each adn such,.
    but nothing addictive...after about a day or so itd be over, i havent
    done it in months because i moved...but raelly there was no positive
    feelings from it to get addicted to. i dont understand how someone
    could get addicted to something that doesnt really feel good on its own
    (i had to do other things on it to find entertainment, things that are
    still entertaining off of it).

so yeah...whats all the talk with it being addictive? what facts am i missing here...

the come down has been terrible for me though, but depends on the
    quality of the dope....mediocre cheap shit didnt really have a come
    down, but not much of a high....thje one time that i did some really
    good stuff though, the come down was horrid...it all hit me rather
    suddenly...i was playing black jack with 2 other guys when suddenly i
    completely lost the ability to do the math required to calculate my
    score (which is pretty simple addition in black jack you know) and i
    just lost all brain power, it was pretty scary really...it just made me
    into a total idiot, then it all wore off as the day went on (that day
    lasted about 60 hours though)

2. Qish

Qish Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    63 y/o
    ah what i forgot to say up there, it sbeen months since iv smoked it
    and i dont have any physical urge to do it again, i moved and dont know
    anyone that deals it, my reaction to it was "oh well shucks do you have
    weed instead?"

maybe i just dont have an addictive personality?

might be unrelated but cocaine has absolutely no effect on me, iv only
    snorted about 4 times, the first was a lot, the rest just a few lines
    at a time and never once has it had any positive effect on me really,
    just made my teeth and throat numb...its never given me energy or
    changed my mood, every time iv just been there like "whats the point of
    this" while every one else was having a great time...bastards.

my grandmother was a serious alcoholic though, youd think itd skip a
    generation (my dad never drinks) and give me some fucked up addictions.

3. Candace

Candace Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I'm not sure what makes speed addicting. For me, my tolerance is insane.. I can sleep and eat, even though I don't have the desire to most of the time. So since I do make myself sleep and I force myself to eat (even though I can't eat much), I have never really had any bad "come down" experiences. The worst thing I have felt would be a mild headache/eye ache from being awake too long and a stomach ache from not eating. I don't feel either of those anymore though, since I make myself eat and sleep now.

For me, I can admit that I AM addicted to meth. I'm a total "closet" user.. my closest friends and family have no clue that I use. I started out "experimenting" with my cousin and it progressed from there. I was very overweight when I started using and have lost an extremely large amount of weight over the past year and a half. I know I use because I still have more weight to lose and I'm afraid to gain it back (although I know I can stay on top of my weight loss, since my eating habits have completely changed, even when I am not using!), so I can safely say that my addiction to meth is purely mental and not physical, which is going to be a bitch to break my addiction when I chose to do so.

For now though, I am still in control of my addiction, it isn't in control of me, and as long as it stays that way and my use doesn't increase, then I know I will still use. I've been working the same job since I started using, am still going to school, etc. etc, so I havn't let it ruin my life. I know it has the ability too, I just hope I have the strength to keep that aspect of addiction away!

4. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    Speed is psychologically addictive, certainly, but not physically addictive at all.

Be careful. Amphetamines modify your behaviour a lot over the long term and can tend to make you too paranoid.

5. Qish

Qish Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    63 y/o
    you know candace, losing weight on speed isnt that gerat of an idea, if
    you loose too much weight too fast youre skin is going to be flabby as
    shit wont it?

the best way to lose weight is to just do 20 sit ups every morning, and
    if you have the time, run around your apartment building or house just
    one time, just dowhatever it takes to break a sweat and get your cardio
    going, do it every day and youll be much more attractive, thats really
    all there is to dieting, all this atkins shit, and speed shit...its
    just a bad idea for losing weight.

6. jduba

jduba Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    weight loss is not important enough a reason to smoke ice!!!!! Please
    dont flush your life and well being down the tubes for weight
    control!!! addictive? yes, very. I'm not sure why it is or what the
    pull is but i have quit and given up many of my favorite sub stances
    but this one i can't kick. Glad Qish you didnt get caught up shit it
    took me 2years to get caught up but if you arent watchn this SHIT will
    get you

7. Candace

Candace Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Qish, fortunately, the weight I have lost as a result of using hasn't resulted in my skin becoming flabby. I don't use constantly and since the beginning I have gone to the gym on my "off" days, just to make sure I tone to prevent the flab issue.

jduba, you are SO right. I AM addicted to smoking ice, even when I KNOW I can live without it, its just making my brain accept that fact that is a pain in my ass! Meth addiction is 100% mental, at least for me, so it makes it extra hard for me to kick this habit. The amount I use is so minute, its really quite pointless that I still feel the need to do it. I quit using for a month, then I got the urge for the alertness, etc that meth provides me, and boom, back in the routine again. For now, I am just focusing on not letting my small habit grow into a life consuming one, and maybe someday I will finally be able to kick it once and for all.

8. jduba

jduba Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    best of luck to ya with kicking the shit! Sometimes we have to live
    things ourselves to realize that other peoples reality can be our own
    (God i wish this wasn't true)

9. Candace

Candace Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thanks jduba [​IMG]I think that would be my biggest worry when it comes to being addicted to ice... having my addiction spiral so far out of control that I just end up another "statistic", only focused on looking for/using drugs, not living my life to my fullest potential. Hopefully I will never go down that road though.. god help me if I ever do [​IMG]

10. just12b4gotn

just12b4gotn Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    52 y/o from Dallas, TX, USA
    At one time, ice referred to methylaminorex in most communities, and clean, racemic, purdy crystals of meth in others. The difference is extreme. The "long-legged" meth you here about is awesome, with the chills and rushes, and the inward drive to take care of business with a mental clarity like at no other time.
    Ice, it's a "thinking" type high. It lasts a lot longer, tastes like hammered dog shit, but is more of a "smart drug".
    Without revealing an excessive amount of personal data, I have a background in the human behavioral sciences, that preceded my current career as an engineer. Based on a combination of personal experience and educational research, and documented references found in the APA DSM IV, I am of the school of thought that people seek out what they actually need, whether consciencly or subconsciencly. The typical habitual stimulant user meets more than enough criteria for a valid diagnosis of attention deficit disorder, and although the concept of dosage titration was left somewhere long before the 150 mg hit the foil, I still believe that there would be some potentially life-changing, clinically successful benefits from stimulant therapy in combination with some sound psychiatric counseling. Anybody got a teener?

11. Blowmonkey

Blowmonkey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Dopamine release.

12. tweakerfrommars

tweakerfrommars Newbie

Reputation Points:
    "Speed is psychologically addictive, certainly, but not physically addictive at all."

Not necessarily true. There have been cases of supposed physical dependence after years and years of use.

And it sounds to me (especially after the cocaine comment) that you are just not an "upper person". As for me, snorting meth produced the best high and is what I really got addicted to...lots of rushing, deep concentration, endless energy, and lots of euphoria to boot (I've heard from a lot of people though in addition to you, that experience little to no euphoria from tweak).

For a while I was living in a dope house with no job; so while I got free drugs, I really didn't have a choice on how I did it. The community favorite was smoking ice (ice in the context of purdy meth crystals, not 4-MA). I didn't enjoy smoking near as much (though it satisfied the addiction). First of all, there wasn't much euphoria, and what there was came in waves. There was a lot of energy, but it also seemed to come more in waves, and it was much more difficult for me to keep the high going strong if I wasn't in deep concentration or entranced in some mindless activity. It also seemed to give me a much more prominent fucked-up feeling...like, the more I smoked, the more headspace I lost and more disoriented I got, whereas when I snorted it I always had a clear head and perfect coordination. In short (ha), I probably would have never gotten addicted to meth if I had started out smoking it, as snorting just turned out to be more my thing.

So, in conclusion and to end my babbling, it all depends on the person. Oh, and the reason I emphasize the euphoric feeling snorting gave me is I am big on euphoric drugs. I liked coke not because of the energy it gave me, but because of the "I am god, on top of the world, and nothing can bring me down" euphoria. And needless to say, ecstasy was my favorite of all, which I certainly would have gotten addicted to if the hangover didn't fuck with me so much the days following a night of rolling.

13. betsym

betsym Newbie

Reputation Points:
    It could be there is a cross tolerance between coke and meth as both are stimulants. Also people with ADHD will be affected differently by stimulants, as in slowing down as opposed to speeding up. The sped up feeling is what seems to be most addictive to some people, that feeling that there are endless hours in a day. At any rate rate, sped up means just that. You will live faster and therefore age faster.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  14. tweakerfrommars

tweakerfrommars Newbie

Reputation Points:
    "You will live faster and therefore age faster."

That's a great point. Not only will people with ADHD be affecteddifferently, but other disorders as well. For example, I have obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).For many people, meth causes obsessive behavior to some extent...for me, itcompletely relieves all symptoms of OCD and allows me to think easily and normally, instead of the horrible repetitive, seemingly neverending thoughts that OCD causes (though obsessive behavior caused by meth is notgoing to be to this degreefor most people).

Meth has so many practical medical uses: weight loss, ADHD, anxiety disorders,fatigue and stress, it's the best nasal decongestant period...it'sjust too addictive. It would be great if something could be developed to help block psychological addiction. Of course, a safe medical dosage would not be a satisfactory high to a tweaker, but just because it is popular on the black market does not mean it can't be used in the medical world (prescription painkillers, anyone?).