1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions - Spotting counterfeit tobacco

Discussion in 'Tobacco' started by Jonny8888, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Jonny8888

Jonny8888 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Recently i visited spain and purchased 10x50g pouches of tobacco, worked out at about £4.50 per pack. I have been reading a lot about counterfeit tobacco and am worried the tobacco i have been purchased is fake. Im not sure i can notice any difference in the taste or consistency to tobacco i have purhcased here. I have been googleing sites to try and find some sort of websites for spotting fake rolling tobacco but am having difficulty.

Can anyone advise me on what to look for or websites that can tell me?

Would be allowed to upload images of the tobacco pouches so other members can tell me what they think?

2. old hippie 56

old hippie 56

Reputation Points:
    The news probably was talking about bootlegged tobacco, tobacco smuggled into a country without paying the proper excise taxes.

3. NeuroChi

NeuroChi is not his mind Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    If by counterfeit you mean that it is not real tobacco and some other chopped up organic matter, then it should be quite clear if it is tobacco or not by smoking it. Of course, smoking strange and/or random plants is a dangerous activity, so please be careful.

What old hippie said is dead on, the duty may have not been paid on the tobacco, or it may be of lower quality.

If tobacco is legal, and you are of age, then this would be allowed.

4. Aar0n

Aar0n Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I'm sure it's fine from somewhere like Spain. SWIM buys Spanish Golden Virginia for about half the price of what it is in the shops because it avoids the heavy tax the UK government slap on it.

SWIM has seen "fake" Golden Virginia when his friend bought some back from Egypt. The packaging plastic was much thicker and the printing off colour and generally shoddy. It was quite clear it was some knockoff cheapo stuff. SWIM didn't hear what it tasted like but imagined it was pretty rough.