Opinions - SSRI's for insomnia?

Discussion in 'Antidepressants' started by dopenose77, Sep 5, 2005.

1. dopenose77

dopenose77 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    hey guys,

I'm a university student and have been dealing with insomnia as far back as I can remember. I've tried natural substances like valerian root and melatonin with little to no results. I've also been prescribed ambien andtemazepam several times. The prescription drugs work well, but as soon asthe bottles empty its back to long nights of no sleep. The last time i went to see the Doc at my uni's healthcenter for this he said if my insomnia didnt get any better he wanted to try putting me on SSRI's (anti-depressants).

I'm willing to try anything at this point but i'm very reluctant to enter the realm of anti-depressants because...

A) i dont actually suffer from depression

B) i've read lots of erowid horror stories (addiction/withdrawl, no libido/ability to reach orgasm, being content with life to the point where it's a problem.)

my question is, have any of you tried SSRI's for the sole purpose of curbing your insomnia? were u happy with the results?

2. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I have not, I can tell you alittle about this. SSRIs stop the reuptake of serotonin, thus allowing more to remain in higher concentrations before being broken down. This, in itself, could bring about better sleep, and sometimes serotonin does help with sleep. Serotonin is converted to melatonin as well, which makes you drowsy. I don't know how SSRIs effect this process though.

If you want to try something that effects serotonin levels, I would recommend 5-HTP. This is the precurser substance for serotonin, so in the brain it is converted into serotonin. I would not recommend taking 5-HTP with SSRIs without first talking to your doctor. This combo could cause potential complications.

3. ~lostgurl~

~lostgurl~ Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Trazadone is a non addictive anti depressant that aids sleep, SWIM only used in during detox in rehab but it worked great. I have chatted to many online who all give it top marks for a good nights sleep. Most are prescribed it specifically for insomnia

I have heard seroquel (an antipsychotic) works well for sleep too. But be careful and only take this as prescribed by your Doctor. Side effects of antipsychotics often outweigh the benefits)

I am currently on 15mg Zopiclone/Immovane (Very similar to Lunesta) and I also take 0.5mg to 1mg Clonazepam/Klonapin at bedtime, this has worked great for about 2 years but I am starting to have trouble sleeping again.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  4. strangedream

strangedream Guest

Reputation Points:
    I know from experience that some SSRI's can keep you awake.However, certain SSRIs that I have taken made it virtually impossible to stay awake. Zoloft has this effect for me. If I take one in the morning Im fine but when night time roles around I crash.

5. thatsall

thatsall Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o
    5-htp worx pretty good when it comes to making me sleepy. i ttried taking it for depression because i too dont want to go down the scary road that many speak of. i aso have a hard time sleeping lately. well i it would probably be safe to say that i suffer from insomnia. when i take a 100mg 5-htp pill i feel very drowsy and tired, but sometimes my mind just doesnt let me sleep then when it does i sleep late in the afternoon. it sux but the 5-htp worx for sleep as far as depression i didnt notice much effect

6. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I am on prozac now (20mg a day) and it has helped him alot, but he was clinically depressed unlike someone like yourself. So SWIM suggests that you ask your doctor about a weak SSRI called mirtazapine (Remeron). I was on that for a while and it knocks you on your ass even with small doses like 15mg. Hope this helps.

7. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
  8. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    IMHO ssri are not the best choice for sleeping problems. In fact there is a big chance of one suffering insomnia during the first month of use.

If you can't sleep because of excessive worrying, thinking or bad feelings then I would understand its use as a sleep aid.

Paxil never made me drowsy or sleeppy, it made me a bit speedy when I drunk but I guess ssri are different to each other and people also react differently to them.

9. fizzle

fizzle Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from USA
    An anti-depressant for sleep is the last thing I would choose. Those are not easy to get off of. This Paxil is becoming a bitch to get off. Still stuck on 25mg. Smoke some herb or drink, that always helps me sleep.

10. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Remeron, Mirtazipine, is not like the more widely used SSRI's. It will knock one flat. Prozac, Paxil, whatnot do tend to cause insomnia.

11. Donmeka

Donmeka Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    I take celexa and risperdal. the celexa seems to get me more up than down so i take it in the morning or afternoon soon after i wake up. and the risperdal only .25mg gives me a slight drowsy feeling so its good to sleep to. its been 2 weeks or so on this mix and ive slept perfectly fine and have actualy changed my sleeping pattern for the better.

12. wellhelm

wellhelm Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o
    Trazadone can cause impotence though. Swim can personaly vouch for seroquel, it works great for a good nights sleep with out the sleepy hang over the next morning.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2007
  13. iw2gf

iw2gf

Reputation Points:
    44 y/o
    I have tried every SSRI and they all gave him insomnia. If you want to sleep then you will have to try the old anti-depressants such as trimiptryline, amitriptyline, trazodone, etc.

14. kareena

kareena Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Like others have said:- remeron (mirtazapine) is worth a try.
    It will absolutely flatten you the first time you use it but after a week or two the sedation isn't as strong but it's still a good sleep aid.

15. cyndi

cyndi R.I.P. Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    trazodone will help you sleep but I felt hungover and that isn't good. Sorry for the misspelling but elavil I believe is an ssri will help you sleep but tends to put weight on you so keep the eating in check. I didn't experience hang overs with it either. Seroquel yes that one will make you groggy. Those are the only ones that I know about personally.

16. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Neither Elavil or Seroquel are SSRI's.

Elavil is Amitriptyline, an older antidepressant, also used for treating neuralgia & in other pain management regimes.

Seroquel is Quetiapine, an atypical antipsychotic, well covered in the Anti-psychotics Forum here.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
  17. cyndi

Reputation Points:
    Yes I wasn't sure what elavil is, thank you for the clarification. I knew it was some med for depression. I was just given some for her insomnia and was told it was an ssri. She wasn't sure what Seroquel is except one mentioned it before her. Swim will read up on that forum mentioned.

18. Practical_Toker

Practical_Toker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    5-htp contains something else for "relaxation." i found taking a couple of 5-htp at bedtime helped get me there. seroquel is really good at knocking you out too, i was on that but it isn't helping with the depression anymore so i'm gonna ask for prozac at my next appt. my insomnia's caused by depression so an ssri will probably help me sleep at night. until then i just take some doxylamine succinate or diphenhydramine or something like that. also i noticed valerian root worked really well the first night i took it but after that it didn't work anymore, although it did induce a nice stoned feeling. i'd take 2 and not fall asleep, just get high.

19. tayo

tayo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This thread is old, but...

I must say, natural sleep is the best. What's the natural answer? I say exercise in the morning so you're tired by night. Eat adequate calories and try going to sleep, and waking up at the same time every night, this will help with the sleeping patterns.
    Doxylamine succinate has potential for a deep sleep, but also a tea bag of chamomile should help.

20. cyndi

Reputation Points:
    Yes I agree sleep patterns are important such as go to bed at a certain time and wake the same. Exercise in the morning not afternoon does help. Good advice. Also yes natural sleep is definitely best. I like camomile tea with some honey at night, it is soothing.