St. Johns Wort

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by Praxis, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Praxis

Praxis Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have read that St. Johns Wort is an herb with anti anxiety and anit depression effects. Has anybody ever used this?

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    St. John's Wort (worry-wort, hypericin) has been used for generations in Europe for depression and anxiety. Like it's new pharmaceutical rivals the SSRI's, it has to be taken for several weeks before having a notable effect. Like any drug that effects mood through slowly changing brain chemistry, it should not be used as a recreational compound.

Interestingly, the active molecule - hypericin - has shown promise in preventing the growth of gliomas (brain cancer) which are considered inoperable.

3. Praxis

Praxis Newbie

Reputation Points:
    you wouldnt happen to know any over the ocunter anti anxiety meds would you guys?

4. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Valerian is sold in most pharmacies, as well as health food stores. It has been used for centuries for anxiety and as a sleep aid.

5. Bladerunner

Bladerunner Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I've seen St Johns Wort a lot in the shops - are there any other tangiable health benefits with this.....?

Thanks.

6. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Yes. It works for mild forms of depression like seasonal affective disorder or mild dysthymia, but IMO doesn't touch anything approaching the clinical variety.

7. imyourlittlebare

imyourlittlebare Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    there is alot of research you can read about it. it is an MAO inhibitor meaning it prevents the making or an enzyme that would break down serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine. this causes a mood boost that can last. it wont necissarily take very long with a MAOI but be warned. you will have to read up on them and change diet for your safety even though this isnt a very strong medicine for safety. you will have to avoid things like chocolate cheeses and wines. also, if you are taking birth control or antibiotics (just for examples) it decreases the effectiveness of them around (not necissarily that high or not neccisarily limited too) 25%. it increases the livers digestion of chemicals which may sound like a good thing but destoys medicines such as those. be careful and always try to read up on anything or talk to your doctor.

8. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
  9. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    ^^ I think hyperforin has been seen as the active component responsible of its effect.

I tried for 2 weeks but gave up. SWIM noticed it was a great stimulant in the morning, 300 mg on empty stomach. His total dayly dose was 900 mg of standarized extract.

He liked it very much but after 2 weeks effects were no longer felt

10. The Visitor

The Visitor Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I got these St John's containing pills form a pharmacy the other day, the thing is i REALLY was stressed at that time, but i didnt have a recipe, but the woman gave them to me any way, seems its not considered too strong..

Anyway, it say to take 1-2 up to three times a day, to relieve anxiety and stress, i took 4 the most one time and it felt a bit like my head was on yellow fire! I must also note i fell from my bicycle one time i took a couple, nearly escaped a concusion... just experimenting of course no habit is gona grow in my for any kind of pills...

I would be interested to grow some at my home though, for curiosity reasons mostly!

11. The Visitor

The Visitor Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I forgot to mention i mixed them with alcohol!

12. tayo

tayo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    In higher doses it will cause diarrhea!... for a few hours! :(

13. FuBai

FuBai Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    The effects of St John's wort are comparable to fluoxetine (Prozac) to an extent. Combining the two is legal and it can produce periods of 'intense mania' but you would need a prozac script for at least 30 x 60mg as it takes about two weeks to build up. The St John's wort would have to be taken in conjunction with the prozac for a while. Also, if you are able to do this you most probably have a prozac script and therefore a mental illness. Swingo the Dingo suffers from one of the following three: Depression, SAD or Manic Depression. Swingo doesn't know because that naughty little Australian puppy refused councilling and, once swingo had his prozac script and started to stabilise he realized how embarassing depression is and decided to pretend that little interlude of his life never happened. Several months on Swingo copes with his depression by ignoring it and never engaging with it, after self-discontinuing his medication. Before he did he experimented with St. John's Wort in conjunction with Fluoxetine and enjoyed the results but it also heavily diminished his ability to work and it was very unpredictable.