1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Treatment - Stimulant Abuse think my friend has relapsed and is not okay please help me help her

Discussion in 'Amphetamines addiction' started by RxGuineaPig, Jun 14, 2014.

1. RxGuineaPig

RxGuineaPig Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from California, U.S.A.
    I have a friend who I believe is abusing her prescription medication and I need help getting her to go get help. She lives by herself away from friends and family so no one really knows what is going on. She has had issues with stimulants in the past (Adderall) but stopped after a traumatizing experience for her and her loved ones changed her outlook on life.

She went to live with her mom after the incident but only until she finished her last semester of college. She had been in school for five and a half years at that point and convinced everyone that she was okay and didn't need to take time off to recover, reflect or rehabilitate herself. Her family and I agreed she would benefit from going to rehab and getting proper treatment from a team of doctors but we knew she wouldn't go being so close to graduating. No one was going to force her to go after she had been through all sorts of things that slowed her progress in college down.

I think it was her second or third year when she first sought treatment for Adderall addiction. She worked with a psychiatrist someone recommended to her Dad for like 3 years but had never fully taken time off from school and only took a short leave from her job. Since she had continued the treatment for so long we eventually stopped being involved in the details. Looking back there were some red flags but we had no idea that she had been getting prescriptions for Adderall from the doctor that was supposed to be treating her addiction for quite some time. She had tried all kinds of medication during her treatment but none of us knew Adderall was one of them and we had no clue that she was being prescribed enough Adderall to last a lifetime every month. (exaggerating but it was a lot) It wasn't until she went missing that we even knew she wasn't well and lost track so much on her journey. She now agreed that she would benefit from seeing a different psychiatrist and going to therapy and she started receiving care as soon as we could get her in with a new doctor.

At first the experience had totally changed her for the better even though it gave us all a scare. She even went so far as to stop drinking red bull because she thought it was changing her behavior too. It only lasted a few months and she some how she got her new psychiatrist to write her a prescription for Vyvanse. The doctor requested that her mom helped her stay in control by holding the medicine and giving her the prescribed dose daily. He recommended she stopped taking Vyvanse as soon as school was over.

She finished out the semester and got a job offer before she graduated. A week after graduation, she moved to California for the job by herself, with no contacts or people close-by to keep an eye out for any concerning behavior and offer support. She was doing really well at first but I think the pressures of her job have led her to start using again. I don't know what to do and I know she must feel so alone right now.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  2. justhowsherolls

justhowsherolls Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Stimulant Abuse think my friend has relapsed and is not okay please help me help

I have many mantras, but one is: This is my journey, not yours...

RXGP: This is her journey, not yours...

You are one of the most concerned, caring and compassionate friend anyone could hope for. Be proud of that. Know inside your heart that you are a good person and you gave your all. You are incredible.

Another mantra I have is: Fucking love yourself.

Seriously, RXGP: Fucking love yourself.

Your friend is an addict. Your friend is sick. Your friend is incapable, at this point in time of being a friend. This does not reflect on you, your level of support or constitute any failure on your part.

If she wanted help, she'd start heading in that direction. She'd do the next right thing. There wouldn't be incidents . She'd is not ready and you cannot make her ready. You can not fix her. It is not your job.

Love her and be there for her, but don't compromise yourself for someone who is drowning and won't take a life raft. Talking to her about sobriety will only cause more tension and division because she will see it as judgement and abandonment, which will in turn fuel her. She'll subconsciously use it as an excuse to get high.

Addicts can use any reason to justify their drug use. I am addicted to meth. Carrying such a big secret can put you in survival mode. She is protecting herself because she is scared and lost. She has to hit rock bottom, as they say.

Summarizing that post would definitely elicit more responses. I wish you the best and I hope your friend gets help soon. I hope she sees how truly lucky she is to have a loyal friend that stuck by her through thick and thin. Continue to be there for her, but Fucking Love Yourself. If you give everything you have to someone, you'll be left with nothing.

3. lostinreality

lostinreality Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Stimulant Abuse think my friend has relapsed and is not okay please help me help

This is a wonderful post.