Health - Stomach pain from alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Paracelsus, May 7, 2007.

1. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    First a short introduction:

SWIM drinks rarely (maybe once in 2-3 months), only hard alcohol (usually vodka and rum, in the 40-60 %ABV range), usually not very large amounts (about the equivalent of ~150-200 ml pure ethanol at a time). He never got nausea nor hangovers from alcohol.

Lately, SWIM noticed stomach pain (not nausea) from amounts as few as a good-sized shot of rum (~80-100ml). It started almost instantly (about 1 minute after starting drinking). The pain didn't seem serious but was far from pleasant. It goes away after 30-60 minutes. SWIM first thought that the strong alcohol was just hard on his stomach, but when he tried first eating and then drinking, the pain was exactly the same.

I will probably stop alcohol use (because of this pain and because he can't really enjoy the effects anymore), but he was wondering if anyone else had this. Could this be a sign of a stomach ulcer or similar?

PS: I haven't checked if this pain appears with beer/wine and isn't excited enough to try it.

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    More commonly it could be alcoholic gastritis - which can lead to an ulcer or varicies. Neither of which one would want. Seeing a gastro-enterologist to find out what's going on would be the intelligent thing to do before continuing to drink any alcohol. One might have a very sensitive stomach that just can't "stomach" alcohol. Person I knew had such. After a night of rather casual drinking, he threw up his stomach-lining all over the side of a friend's car. It was refered to as fillinnamehere-Tripe and was a bitch to scrape off!

3. Paracelsus

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I don't think it's an alcoholic gastritis. I amn't a heavy drinker. He consumed about 100-200ml pure ethanol each time, about 15 times in his lifetime, with breaks of at least 2 months. He will probably go to a doc though, doesn't feel good about this. I don't think I will drink anymore.

4. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    IS Swip eating before drinking? It may ease it perhaps swia finds shes less sick now that she eats before drinking. or the the excessive amounts could be having a go at swip pancreas if its damaged say to goodbye pancreases and hello insulin syringes. Swia knows people who have managed to screw up there pancreases as a result from excessive drinking and some are now diabetic.

5. IntrepidTraveler

IntrepidTraveler Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Texas, U.S.A.
    Is You referring to the unpleasant burning pain that usually happens after pounding some hard liquor? I think that's rather common, perhaps even more so in more casual drinkers.

6. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Even relatively small amounts of strong alcohol can cause gastric irritation. For some reason Ouzo seems to be particularly problematic for SWIJ

7. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Think Ouzo is fun? Try Grappa.

8. Paracelsus

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Alicia:
    IntrepidTraveler: I wasn't referring to the burning. SWIm got used to it.

Might be just a simple case of gastric irritation. I don't think I will drink anymore from now on.