Stoner in College

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by Wyborowa, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Wyborowa

Wyborowa Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I go to a 2 yr college to become a RN (Registered Nurse). I have smoked pot daily from Dec. 17th to jan 29th. Swim notices it affects his abilities to study, care about studying, and overall intelligence....

Swim plans to stop toking Today. In the past I was bitchy and pissed off for about a week. I am 19. What withdrawls have others had when trying to quit tokin'? How long did it last?

Swim needs to do good this smester, swim fucked up big time last semester, and nursing classes are fuckin' tough! Anyhelp or insight would be greatly appreciated by me!!

2. Flimmar

Flimmar Newbie

Reputation Points:
    When You is quiting the weed, try and do it in an enviroment with no weed.
    Such as a holiday home at the parents.

I took a timeout when he went to Asia for two weeks. He was occupied all the time, and didn't really think about drugs. So for SWIM, it's all about filling out the gaps, where You used to smoke.

Hope it helped.

3. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
  4. sciencedj

sciencedj Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM suffered very few side effects/withdrawal symptoms. SWIM only experienced insomnia and CONSTIPATION. SWIM experienced severe constipation and it lasted for weeks.

Other than that.....I was fine. SWIM quit a while back for a job. I smoked everyday for 8 years. I was successful in stopping the pot smoking for 4 months (it took SWIM 42 days for his urine to be clean), but has since started again. :smoking:

EDIT: As far as nursing school goes, the most important suggestion to You is GO TO CLASS. I didn't do much reading in his 7 years of college because he attended class and took notes. He was able to get the info he needed to learn through class and not the textbooks (I was too stoned to read thick, boring textbooks). CLASS IS IMPORTANT. DO NOT SKIP CLASS. SWIM say's read the textbook and your assigments, but class is more important (in his opinion)

5. FrankenChrist

FrankenChrist Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from belgium
    Pot and studying do not go together at all. It's well worth quitting it to improve your results, IMO. Keep it for occasions like parties only.

6. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    For SWIM, not pot smoking and studying was impossible. Taking exams without being stoned made my grades worse. I have many degrees now and would have dropped out if it were not for weed. However, this is just to illustrate a point that every I am different. If it does not work for you, then stop. I found that the problem was procrastinating and not attending lectures. SWIM always did every assignment as soon as it was assigned, and started to study for exams as soon as the last one was taken. I did great and aced everything once I did everything right away as opposed to at the last minute. Now I have many letters after SWIM's name and a decent paycheck. I found that without weed, I could not focus on one thing for more than a minute and got horrible test anxiety. However, it was organizational skills and staying ahead of the curve that made SWIM succeed. Conversely, I do not like to get stoned in social situations... Go figure
    SWIM also found that having a part or full time job while in various degree programs made SWIM more efficient and self-disciplined, and ironically increased SWIM's grades. It kept SWIM from wasting any time. Since I was doing so much, SWIM always had to keep ahead of the curve.

7. Each Hit

Each Hit Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    as a current student working on his bachelor's in physics, I agree almost entirely with this reply. I am the type who prefers to study, go to class, and even take most exams while high. he does well so long as he doesn't let things build up on him by putting them off (which he still does, but he is getting better about it). going to lectures is definitely helpful, though I has had classes where he was so far ahead of the curve he could skip a few days and not get behind. now that he's getting into upper level courses, attendance and time management are crucial.

it might also help You if he found some people to study and do homework with. swim prefers to go solo most of the time, but peer groups can be great for when he doesn't quite understand something or could use a different perspective he might not have thought of. if all else fails, the professor should be able to help. if not, tell You to ask another professor or a tutor (or if the school has a learning assistance center, they MIGHT be able to help).

as for a job, I usually does better when he has a job, but he tends to be a workaholic and over-schedule himself, which has caused him problems in the past (he made the mistake of taking 19 credit hours and working 30-40 hours a week one semester - bad idea for swim). staying active helps prevent the spiral into idleness, but one must allow some free time to enjoy life and take a breath (or a toke :D).

anyway, good luck. I got his 2 year degree in mathematics last year and hopes to get a doctorate in either physics or mathematics (maybe even both). swim knew a couple prospective nurses when he was in community college (though they weren't guys ;)), and it looked like anatomy & physiology was one of the monster classes. lots of memorization :(

8. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yet. SWIM forgot to include the studying with other people and using TAs as much as possible. This strategy was indispensible to get through classes. Working alone is always a disadvantage. For some of the nastier core classes (ie - pchem, etc), I would be living in the TA offices picking everyone's brain. I could have never done it alone.
    Good luck. SWIM also knows many nurses, and they make a ridiculous amount of money !