Stop increased heart rate

Discussion in 'Adderall' started by MendozatheJEW, Jan 24, 2007.

1. MendozatheJEW

MendozatheJEW Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o
    I have notices that when he takes the adderall, there is no real increase in heart rate, maybe 80 bpm. But then as adderall begins to wear off heart rate shoots to 100 bpm. SWIM also noticed that there was a quick shooting pain :mad: in heart. SWIM noticed that after eating something and drinking orange juice (citric acid?) that these problems stopped. :D Could SWIM be having these feelings because he hasn't eaten in 24 hrs. most times he takes adderall, or something else?
    Also, I have a beta blocker, is this a safe alternative? Any other ways for SWIM to lower heart rate?

2. SWIMming

SWIMming Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    When I get an uncomfortable heartincrease/mild chest discomfort (also typically when coming down, or after a redose if I am rolling longer than a single dose can handle) SWIM typically uses a Taurine supplement to slow the heartrate down.

Taurine is a mild muscle relaxant/blood pressure reducer, and a naturally produced amino acid. The supplements are also ridiculously cheap, and its a reasonably safe combination as far as I have have experienced and researched.

SWIM typically takes between .5-1.5 grams of Taurine in these circumstances (also can help You get to sleep when you're worn down but still unable to sleep). The supplements SWIM's seen are typically in 500mg doses.

Good luck, and if I am giving bad advice, someone correct him for both his sake, and for SWI the original poster's.

3. BeetleJuice

BeetleJuice Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    Deep breathing exercisers seem to help for SWIM, takes some time to get used to but it does help, for a more natural approach.I dont know much about Taurine but im guessing if it works ittle be good in combo with daily breathing exercise.plus thattle help your all round health so its win win.

4. GForce

GForce Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    If SWIM's heart is bothering him he usually just takes aspirin.

5. SWIMming

SWIMming Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Aspirin thins you're blood, so wouldn't that most likely further INCREASE your heartrate?

6. GForce

GForce Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'm not sure what the effect of aspirin is on heart rate. I wasn't really making a distinction between an increased heart rate and increased heart rate with chest discomfort. As long as your heart rate isn't outrageous I wouldn't be too worried about it if you don't have chest discomfort. I takes aspirin whenever he has any kind of discomfort because it puts less strain on his heart. Isn't that why doctors recommend taking aspirin if you think you're having a heart attack?

7. BeetleJuice

BeetleJuice Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    It thins the blood so when/if a heart attack is comming on,it helps the flow of blood go though easier, weather or not that will help with slowing the heart rate im not sure.Just try to keep your overall heart health good an it shouldent be a big problem seeing as it only happens when you have adderall.
    Stay safe.

8. GForce

GForce Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeah, I don't use it to decrease his heart rate. He just takes it because he figures that if his heart is beating rapidly he can be at more of a risk for a heart attack. Taking the aspirin thins his blood just in case he possibly has to worry about that.

9. toe

toe Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    ^^
    There seems to be some anecdotal evidence that- for sporadic users of ASA- the fizzy ACA wafers (Common US Brand Name) dissolved in water may be preferable for getting into the bloodstream faster.

Other brand names for water-dispersable ACA fizzy tablets around the world
    Eastern Europe/ Russian
    ACYLPYRIN,
    Aspirin Šumivé tablety, and Upsarin C. Aspirin Instant, Aspirin Direkt (chewable, but I imagine it's be up to par crushed and mixed into a fizzy water). Beware of Efferalgin, as it contains APAP, not ASA.

In Western Europe/ Australia. (it appears) one's more likely to find such brands as Disprin, Alka Rapid Crystals,/ Alka Clear , Disprin Direct (buccal),- you get it.

Found some packaging picks for reference, hopefully I'll figure out the image gallery soon. Just bear in mind that no one should initiate daily aspirin therapy without the supervision of a doctor Taking 2 grams of ASA everyday isn't a full-season pass to Tweak-o-rama, anymore than carrying SWIM's own amps of naloxone is justification for seeking out a Mazzy Star tour to follow.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  10. Donmeka

Donmeka Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    I am on a regiment of 20-40mg adderall a day with 4mg alprazolam (currently being switched to 3mg Xanax XR and 1mg IR) and its perfect for him. but the mix of amphetamines and benzos is a rare rx to have I've heard. but for SWIM 10mg with 1mg alprazolam is perfect, no feeling tired or wired just perfection.

soon I will be taking the XR instead and the 1mg alprazolam is only for emergency panic attacks and the such.

but for my problems this works best

11. Nero532

Nero532 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    The heart rate is depressed by Vagus nerve stimulation but effect of the increased adrenaline on the heart causes a net effect of increased heart rate. As the stimulant properties wear off there is a rebound effect where the depressed stimulation of the Vagus nerve causes the heart to speed up. It is possible such a mechanism is the reason behind what You has experienced.

12. soma

soma Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o
    I use Adderall as a tool as he as a hardcore insomniac. He keeps a few on hand for when he goes without sleep for a few days. He also suffers panic attacks, and thus, Adderall can really speed up his heart (and jumpstart his anxiety).

For SWIM, any benzodiazepine will work to counter the rapid heart-rate. Also, Zolpidem/Ambien works for him as well. And yes, I am aware that many say that it is dangerous to mix uppers and downers, however, as cited in another thread, there is no clinical proof of this. In fact, the Physicians Desk Referance lists no interactions between, say lorazepam and amphetamine. Benzodiazepines and Barbituates are also part of first-line treatment of amphetamine overdose.

13. ganja dude

ganja dude Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Aspirin is not good for strokes so be careful, I just feel that I had to put that out there. No idea if it truly helps the heart during adderall sessions but SWIM usually stray away from things I havent tried myelf but I will keep it in mind. I feel comfortable taking acetominophen/paracetemol when I get headaches during sessions.

I am having a harsh comedown now with the worst over. I got 2 hours of sleep and they were already sick when they dosed and did not mean to tweek so long. Before sleep my heart felt harsh and even now a couple of hours later SWIM still has chest pain right where is heart is.:vibes: I have taken from this experience and has decided to stop taking such large doses when they are such a newbie.

Yes I know I butchered that spelling and grammer but I am having a harsh comedown :crazy

ganja dude added 1 Minutes and 50 Seconds later...

Oh, and SWIM forgot to add that they have the same situation as you. my heartrate is around 100-110 bpm right now.

Man, I am fried.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  14. stratry

stratry Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Late yesterday afternoon I took 90 MGs of Adderall IR orally. Several hours later 1 MG of Klonopin was taken orally. This was the first time a benzodiazepine was taken with Adderall, and also the first time no increase in heart rate was noticed while lying in bed; a drastic change. What's more, I have a thorough history with benzodiazepines due to his anxiety disorders, and they have never provided relief of anxiety symptoms.

For the sake of brevity SWIM won't go in-depth about this in this post, but he began taken Buspar one and a half weeks ago, and it's worth noting that it completely changed his response to Adderall. I also take 10 MGs of Lexapro daily.

Since it's been brought up, in SWIM's experience aspirin and the like have not had an effect on an increased heart rate from taking Adderall.

15. mykeamine

mykeamine Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have taken fish oil T+1:00 taking Adderall and noticed his heart rate decrease. He's read fish oil has a tendency to do this.

16. TruLadyRed

TruLadyRed Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM Mixes uppers and downers ever day and isn't dead yet. (Adderall and Ambien)

SWIN also takes beta blockers when her heart races from coming off Adderall per doctors orders.

17. Boca Bitch

Boca Bitch Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Aspirin does not thin blood, but acts as an anticoagulant, preventing it from clotting. Anticoagulants have no effects on heart rate or vasoconstriction.

As for heart health, aspirin is the best preventative medication one could take. However, a low dosage should be taken to avoid excess damage to the liver, which would already be processing amphetamine. CNS depressants (alcohol, benzodiazepines, and opiates), are not effective at lowering heart rate under the influence of amp, and should never be used as a treatment. It in no way related to the mechanisms of amphetamine, so instead of reversing effect, it compounds with the speed. The result is an irregular heartbeat, that can cause many further complications.

If available, antipsychotics are effective at reducing heart rate and vasoconstriction from non-fatal amphetamine overdose. If the abuser is showing signs of potentially fatal OD, such as vomiting, excessive fever, or psychotic symptoms, antipsychotics should not be used as treatment, unless directed by a doctor.

If the abuser is experiencing hypertension (restriction of blood vessels), without a dangerously high pulse, cannabis may be used to relive the stress on arterial walls. This is beneficial only if hypertension is the only heart-related problem being experienced, as cannabis causes vasodilatation (widening of blood vessels) but increases heart rate. Cannabis can also be used to take the anxiety off a harsh speed buzz, but may result in increased psychotic symptoms (because of increased dopaminergic activity).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  18. catchdog

catchdog Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    There is a bit of misinformation in the above post:

First, aspirin is not that hepatoxic, unlike paracetamol. Recent studies even indicate that it might be able to protect against liver damage caused by paracetamol. I don't think one really has to worry about that, and in any case you don't need a large dose to reap the cardiovascular benefits.

I have never seen any actual reference for the idea that combining benzos with stimulants "compounds with the speed. The result is an irregular heartbeat, that can cause many further complications." I do know that benzos are general the first line treatment at a hospital for stimulant od's so I find that pretty improbable. They do help reduce heart rate and blood pressure.

From merck on amphetamine overdose:

Toxicity or overdose: When significant oral toxicity is recent (eg, < 1 to 2 h), activated charcoal may be given to limit absorption, although this intervention has not been shown to reduce morbidity or mortality. Urinary acidification hastens amphetamine excretion, but it may worsen myoglobin precipitation in the renal tubules and thus is not recommended.

Benzodiazepines are the preferred initial treatment for CNS excitation, seizures, tachycardia, and hypertension. Lorazepam 2 to 3 mg IV q 5 min titrated to effect may be used. High doses or a continuous infusion may be required. Propofol, with mechanical ventilation, may be required for severe agitation. Hypertension that does not respond to benzodiazepines is treated with nitrates (occasionally nitroprusside) or other antihypertensives as needed, depending on the severity of the hypertension. β-Blockers (eg, metoprolol 2 to 5 mg IV) may be used for severe ventricular arrhythmias or tachycardia.

1. 5/5,
      good catch on Asprin's low toxicity
      Jan 14, 2010
  19. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    From Wiki
    Those ARE pretty good odds.