Stopping Marijuana Use Causes Back Pain?

Discussion in 'Pharmacology' started by Powder_Reality, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Powder_Reality

Powder_Reality Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I was talking with somebody one day and the subject turned to marijuana as medicine. He told SWIM about some medical facts he had learned about marijuana use. Apparently the majority of males who stop using marijuana after long term use develop back problems (primarily lower back problems). SWIM can't remember exactly why he said this happens, but apparently it only occurs in males and not in females. The weird part about it was that I had experienced exactly what he said. I had quit smoking marijuana and about 6 months later, was diagnosed with chronic lumbar pain. He even had to take physiotherapy and start going to the gym to strengthen his back muscles. SWIM still gets lower back pain, but it isn't as bad as it was before. At one point before treatment, I couldn't even walk without a shooting pain developing in his lower back. It felt like his spine was twisted up into knots. I was wondering if anybody else has ever experienced this, or knows anything about the medical/scientific aspects of it.

2. hh339

hh339 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM experienced the same thing when he stopped smoking, and much worse when he stopped taking benzos. His doctor said it probably had something to do with not getting enough exercise while smoking, and that quitting the stuff made SWIM very tense and sore from the process. SWIM always had minor back problems though, so the cannabis may also have served as a painkiller. Not eating properly could also cause problems. Not enough proteins, iodine etc. Could be a number of things.

3. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Swim back hurts when he don't smoke, his doctor wants him to try narcotic pain medicines. So, his options are limited, addicted to legal pain medications or using a plant that has no major side effects.

4. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    It may be down to pot's painkilling properties. Smoking pot on a regular basis can block out many pains you would otherwise feel. Strangely enough when SWIM smokes good strong bud at night, he wakes up the next morning with a kind of stiffness in his lower back. It's not unpleasant though, it just makes the morning stretches all the more enjoyable. It also seems to help when lifting weights as his back feels quite numb and not susceptible to pain.

5. The Doors

The Doors Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I have been smoking more pot lately, he's been smoking daily every night for his sleeping problems for about a year now. But lately, he's had a lot of lower back pains, he's getting a lot of headaches, his knees hurt and he feels constantly tired. Does anyone know if marijuana could be causing this? Or what could be possible wrong with him?

6. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Try laying off it for a week just to see or at least cut it back to one light smoke an hour before bedtime. Once rested up, get some exercise. If you're still in pain see a doctor.