Effects - Strange Auditory Hallucinations on Mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by PsychicTraveler, Jan 18, 2007.

1. PsychicTraveler

PsychicTraveler Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I was about an hour into the shroom trip and he was peaking. Things were getting a little tight in the muscles and jaw. He sat up on the couch, and adjusted his ear canals (like a SCUBA pop), and he heard this strange second-long "oooOOOIK". It was weird and high pitched, starting soft and got louder. It was what you would expect a stressed tendon to sound like (from inside the tendon) - hard to define. He hadn't heard it before, and hasn't heard it since. It didn't sound like air pressure equalizing. It was almost electric sounding.

Anybody else ever experience anything like that?

2. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    Re: Strange noise from shrooms?

Yeah, SWIM's had that happen quite a few times, usually on higher doses
    of psychedelics. It's one of SWIM's favorite psychedelic phenomena, since
    if the noise is concentrated on (which is strange enough, because the
    sound isn't exactly heard, but "heard" inside of your brain), it will totally
    "consume" you and take the experience to a totally different level... It is a
    pretty common thing, and there are many SWIM's who experience it,
    although I don't think the exact cause is known.

Perhaps it is the brain tuning into a whole different frequency.

3. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

The Tryptamine Squeal as swip calls it. High doses of tryptamines do this. Swip also notices after smoking a high dose of DMT or aMT.

4. Corksil

Corksil Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Wow, that is incredibly interesting. Any ideas what might cause it? Apart from triptamine - like what might simulate the sounds?

5. chAos

chAos Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o from belgium

At the end of a mushroom trip on hawaiian mushrooms, swim watched an episode. And he heard everything in the typical "lsd-voice" like in the rogez sanchez flash clip of Shpongle- Devine moments of truth. He usually doesn't have auditory hallucinations on mushrooms.

6. PsychicTraveler

Reputation Points:

IIRC, some novelty shops have these "clacker" noise makers that are two molded balls on supports that swing around a central handle. When you flick your hand back and forth, they clack back and forth. They're annoying. But, if you press the two balls together by their supports, they make a "ooOOOIK" sound that goes up in pitch as they bounce off each other and come back together until they stop. That's about the closest thing to the noise that I can describe for you.

If DMT can cause the phenomenon, and DMT is naturally occuring in the body, then maybe the shrooms cause the body to create/excrete DMT, and that is the cause of the "sound"? I don't know, but it sure is weird.

And I agree, it is not a negative or painful experience, just really weird. I also felt like things were flowing better right after the "sound" was experienced.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  7. Desertfox

Desertfox Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

swim's glad this has happened to others because all swim's friends thought I was fucking insane when swim tried to describe this sound to them. swim always assumed it was his muscles tightening and pushing blood around in his head hard enough that he could hear it. and swim tried describing it as a sound you would imagine a hovering ufo having.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  8. PsychicTraveler

Reputation Points:

Dude, that's nothing like what a UFO sounds like.
    They're more of a "rrwhew". ;)

9. psylent treatment

psylent treatment Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o
    I has had multiple occurences of such phenomenon but the closest sound he can compare this to is the fwoomp of slashing a stick through the air.I believe this to be the transition of the mind through the veil of the subconscious as it generally happens to him immediately prior to a particularly vivid peak.

10. TheGreatHabiblious

TheGreatHabiblious Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    interesting topic. this is something that has consumed swim for a while. swim hears alot of onomatopoeia but only on n2o and psychedelics, not regularly. he has been told many a meaningful things by the entities/symbols that accompany these sounds. sometimes the sounds come in without a deity to accompany it. to clarify usually these onomatopoeia come in first, then a greeting as they call swim by name. its a variation of his name but a term of endearment none the less. and sometimes the way they speak english, as well as other times when there speaking in more of an onomatopoeia it all kind of sounds the same. like they have an accent. that to I am the language of the universe. its a very rhythmical, mono-syllabic, repetitive language. some things sound like buzzing, or whizzing. other things heard are more zings, zaps, putter or pops. but really the sounds heard are as hard to describe as they are to even make with your mouth, but everything is appropriate to the situation and can be spoken by anything including inanimate objects and orbs. sometimes its spoken very quickly, other times its spoken more clearly, but always it happens instantly when ever n2o or psychedelics are introduced. Examples of words/sounds: Shriloink (shreee-loink), hemihemis, thumathube, uncoutinhound, habiblious.

the bad thing is usually these things are forgotten when ingestion wears off. not that they just happened but the specifics of what was said sometimes. it has been told to swim that it is (w)hoodoo by the entities. imagine swims surprise when he googled (w)hoodoo and actually got hits as he never imagined it existed.

to the OP: You said that he he thought it might be a stressed tendon; did he see the tendon, logically conclude it was the tendon or knew somehow it was the tendon?

11. rizla1

rizla1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    i know this is kinda of topic. did any1 ever get brain zaps a few days after taking alot of mdma, something todo with seritonin depletion.
    i never had any real auditory Hallucinations
    sometimes on shrooms and my first and only time taking lsd i got sounds changing pitch witch is fukin funny. music would be normall 1 minute then boooouuueeeng. lol
    its hard to explain but quality!!