Opinions - strongest benzodiazepine 4 sleep?

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by adzket, May 24, 2006.

1. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    I have been perscribed benzos by there g.p for anxiaty and sleep disorders for about 5yrs now and has been on the following
    nitrazepam, temazepam, lorazepam, lormetazepam plus diazepam.
    I am now on loprazolam + diazepam.
    swims g.p says there is no others they can try if these build a tolirence to as these are the strongest mg for mg is this true? i have looked at https://drugs-forum.com/threads/16120 benzo world about half lifes but this is oly how long a drug stays in ystem not how strong it is off of the list on there is there any more for sleep as this is swims bigest problem anxiaty gets worse with no sleep. and if any of them are which are the strongest ones. i have also tryed zopyclone and zymervain these are not benzos but these did nothing for me is there another type of drug I could try. sometimes i dont sleep for weeks and then fall asleep at most unapropriat times stood up in the supermarket once the only thing that saved me from falling was the tolly i was pushing.

also is there a diffrence between loprazolam and loprazolam mesilate? also in above mentioned post is a list of things that happen when benzos are taken recreationaly some are good if sort but is there any major harm if i have been n them for so long all the safty information swim gets with each pill says should not be on them for more than two weeks i have been on for 5yrs now and not to take if you have a liver problem I has hep c.

thanks for the help i need some sleep.

2. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    I have found 30mg Dalmane(flurazepam) to be quite good for sleep. The only drawback was a disgusting taste in his mouth for days after taking it.

3. adzket

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    but how does tha compair to ones i have mentioned above is it stronger mg for mg. the pills swim gets are only 1mg as they are strong benzos

4. Abrad

Reputation Points:
    It is not as potent by weight as many other benzos, the only other benzo I could describe it like is alprazolam. I would think 30mg flurazepam would be roughly equal to 2mg alprazolam. It tends to knock SWIM out though as opposed to making him fell relaxed.

5. BlueMystic

BlueMystic Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    If alprazolam doesn't work. Then triazolam (halcion) sould do the trick. There's a reason that they don't offer anything higher then a .25 per pill dose.

6. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
  7. adzket

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    so would You recomend both alprazolam and triazolam over the loprazolam
    + diazepam he is curently taking. loprazolam 3mg a night higher than maximum doseage writen on safty leflet as maximum recomended is 2mg also diazepam 2 x 5mg which is an medium strength dose for this i will look at that thread but dont no if it will be helpfull as I want to know about benzo's for sleep but will check it out. thanks though.

8. BlueMystic

BlueMystic Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    Either alp or triaz alone at an appropriate dosage should work if the present combo doesn't do the job. Talk to your doc about your prob and he/she will eventually find what works for you.

I'm sure that you probably know this, but do your research regarding benzo's, benzo addiction, and benzo withdrawal before delving any deeper into this particular class of drugs. (for sleep, anxiety, or otherwise)....

9. adzket

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    i think it might be a bit late for that as I have been perscribed differant benzo's for the last 4/5yr just worryed that they dont seam to work much any more at least the one's I am on at mo. also I do not like to take up doc's time as the nhs in the uk is over stressed as it is with out swim finding out all possibilitys from his doctor. was also worryed about long term effect as I did not no any thing about them realy till recently just blindly took what doctor told him to.

10. adzket

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    isint alprazolam for anxiaty?

11. BlueMystic

BlueMystic Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    It's never too late to learn about benzo addiction and withdrawal. Especially since benzo's are one of the hardest things to kick and can kill when regular consumption is suddenly ceased.

Anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia...

12. calmascanbe

calmascanbe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM just received dormicum 7.5mg...... 30mg works great for sleep. You might need less depending on your tolerance to benzos.Carefull though there is a high potential for abuse.

13. WrtngCocaineTutorial

WrtngCocaineTutorial Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
  14. adzket

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    thanks for that, sounds like they may not be very strong though if they come as 7.5mg and you nedd 30mg to get to sleep thats like 4 pills at mo the one's I am perscribed are 1mg and only need 2mg for sleep. i undrstand about the potential for abuse though it's the same with any benzo swim's friends abuse there perscriptions using there 2 week supply up in a coupple of days then having nothing for the rest of the time, or lie to there g.p to get more by saying script, or pills where lost or stolen ect...

yeah i have heard that to but because of the asosiation with rohypnol and date rape, and abuse of benzo's to get wasted doctors in the uk very rarely perscribe it any more. if they do it has to be on a private script which costs alot of money one for the doctors consultation and then a high price for the mediation. when in the uk doctors consultations are normaly free and there is a flat price for perscriptions where every thing regardless of drug or amount cost's the same low price of a few pounds or free depending on your personal cercumstances. can you tell more about halcoin is that a benzo? and what is ambien, can you tell me more about this so i can inform swim what they could talk to there docot about, thanks.

15. WrtngCocaineTutorial

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    yeah. halcion is a benzo. It's supposed to do the exect same thing as rohypnol. (don't know if it makes you hyper+aggressive in high doses, like rohypnol - I have another post on that)

Ambien is not a benzo, but it works the same receptors as halcion.
    I think it has a low abuse potential. Because, I've read "it has not been determined wheather or not a has a abuse potential", 7 years after release on the market...

16. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Norweger: ALL benzos have physical tolerance/dependance issues. It's the way they work (GABA receptors). Doesn't matter which one, it will get You in the end

17. WrtngCocaineTutorial

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    I have never used a benzo. ever. so all I can tell is what I read...

exerpt from a book I have:

(zolpidem=ambien)

"zolpidem is a nonbenzodiazepine"
    "structurarly different, acts similarly." (halcion and ambien)

"at comparable doses there seem to be little to differentiate the two drugs."

adverse effects
    the potential for the drug to induce tolerance or be abused remains to be determined.

(this is written in 2001, ambien was lanched in 1993)

wheater or not is has a high/low abuse potential, I cannot determine ...

this is just what I can read

I have also wondered if it has an abuse potential (and I still wonder)

18. adzket

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    is halcoin it's brand or generic name? as i would like to find more info for swim also is ambien again a brand or generic name as some brand names are diffirent in diffirent contries and again i would like to find out info for swim and what drug family is it in if not a benzo. it sounds good if it has no potential for abuse but if it works on the same receptors shurly it has simmerla effects and as shuch abuse potential?

19. WrtngCocaineTutorial

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
  20. Abrad

Reputation Points:
    Zolpidem is not really comparable to any of the benzos in my experience. It does not seem to sedate SWIM like the benzos do, just kind of makes it very easy to get to sleep if he tries. They have to be taken when you are ready to sleep, I find if he stays awake after he takes them there is absolutely no chance of sleep.

They definetely do have potential for abuse although not to the same extent as benzos. The effect they produce is very strange, in high doses there are very obvious visual distortions but I would not in any way compare it to a trip. A very strange drug indeed.

Btw Adzket: Zolpidem is marketed as Stilnoct in the UK.