1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Oral use - Sublingual Use of Methylphenidate

Discussion in 'Concerta & Ritalin' started by usually0, Mar 26, 2012.

1. usually0

usually0 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Canada
    I've read that Methylphenidate is have bioavaliability sublingually, and I heard that euphoria and rate of absorbption does increase from AFOAF (a friend of a friend). So I have a few questions about it

Sometimes, when AFOAF uses the whole pill sublingually (concerta Alza 54), even while all crushed up, the pieces stick together and clump in his mouth and he's not sure they're being absorbed properly because of this as he does not see them dissolve like it usually does. Could this be inactive ingredients in the pill sticking to the methylphenidate when it mixes with water?

How long does it usually take to absorb? As a rule of the thumb AFOAF says he holds in his mouth for about 15 minutes, but he's unsure if this is long enough to absorb all of the methylphenidate, although he says it's definitly absorbing some or most of it.

Sometimes AFOAF says he feels a burning sensation in his mouth especially when repeatitive dosing in large amounts, but even in small doses to a lesser extent. He's read that HCI turns into hydrochloirc acid when mixed with water and this substance is corrosive to skin and could burn or damage tissue. Is this happening in his mouth? Is this bad? Can anyone comfirm or discomfirm this theory?

Also he'd like to know if anyone ever heard of cancer in the mouth following methylphenidate use in this manner? He'd like to know if there's any dangers that anyone has experienced folling sublingually use of methylphenidate.

I hope this isn't too much, these are just all the questions I have, I hope some of them may be answered. Good luck and thanks.

P.S. I used a prefic of oral use because there isn't one for sublingual use so I hope that's okay. Moderators can feel free to more this to a more appropiate forum area if feel it is necessary.

usually0 added 4 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

P.S.S. I just looked at the wiki article and methylpheidate does not have a section for sublingual use a possible route of administration. Should I add one? I don't really have much knowledge though, so if someone else does if they could add one that would be good I think.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. Tech House

Tech House Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I'm no expert on anything you asked, but I'll just say that a tiny amount of hydrochloric acid mixed with saliva for a short time under the tongue is unlikely to cause real harm. It would be less acidic than some of the foods we eat, especially sour things like lemons and vinegar. I've had nasty things happen after a few days of putting something under my tongue and holding it there for a while, but I'm almost certain that it wasn't due to acidity. Chemicals can be corrosive through other mechanisms and this felt like it was an organic chem reaction, not an acid-base response.

Having said all that, I suppose it could harm your tender sublingual tissue to hold a piece of lemon there every day for 15 minutes, so what do I know....

3. usually0

usually0 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Canada
    Okay thanks for clearing that part up for me. I read about it and couldn't find any info on it really besides about hydrocholride. Yeah seems logically what you said. You're probaly right, not enough will be made to pose any real harm.

Thanks a lot.

4. usually0

usually0 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Canada
    Does anyone else hav e any theories on this? Any thoughts?

5. usually0

usually0 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Canada
    Does anyone have an answer for how long it should take to asborb sublingually? Is 15 minutes plenty of time?

I'm sure many of you are aware that during this process a lot of spit is made and this mixes with the methylphenidate. I'm sure this would decrease the amount asborb sublingually, or one would have to let it asborb longer because of this.

6. Mindless

Mindless Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    See these threads for more information on the sublingual use of methyphenidate:

Crushing ritalin then sublingual?

Improving Ritalin's efficiency

There are transdermal patches available, and methyphenidate can be absorbed by mucous membranes as well, so it seems to me that the sublingual route should be viable. One issue may be that it may dissolve, mix with saliva and be swallowed before most of the pill's methylphenidate has been absorbed sublingually. According to our own DF Wiki methylphenidate acts within 10-30 minutes when taken orally. One member reported a time of about 5-10 minutes for sublingual use. It may be that a significant portion would be swallowed, which may slow things down. The sublingual route certainly seem to be less damaging than the intranasal, in that the nasal passages and septum will not be harmed by the contents of methylphenidate pills.

Source: DF Wiki Methyphenidate.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  7. Grimace

Grimace Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    SWIM has used the sublingual ROA for methylphenidate and it works nicely. One or two whole methylin 10mg (not extended release) placed under the tongue would usually dissolve within 10-15 minutes (bad flavor, slight tingling numbmess), which was about when the effects became noticeable. Effect-wise, it's on par with insulflation.

8. usually0

usually0 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Canada
    I've found the same thing applies to me as well. I have another prescription for 10 mgs ritalin and those dissolve much easier than concerta.

10 mg dissolve under toungue without any chewing and limites saliva compared to concerta dissolving. I'd agree it's on par with insuffication with less damage. That's why i like it.

usually0 added 1 Minutes and 39 Seconds later...

Yeah one of main issues I notice is it mixes with saliva so I wonder how much is being dissolved. As mentioned, this process is much more effecient with 10 mg ritalin rather that concertas. Less mixes with salvia.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012