1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

SUBOXONE help, advice, and experience.

Discussion in 'Opiate addiction' started by TimeToQuit, Feb 21, 2013.

1. TimeToQuit

TimeToQuit

Reputation Points:
    Starting Suboxone march 1st. 500MGs of roxi a day. What should I expect using sub. I know I'll take it about 18-24 hours after my last roxi dose. Prescribed 8Mg but told I should probably only take 2 mg. when would I take a second dose? Am I really going to be able to function and feel fine on Sub? I would really like everyone's opinion and especially facts from people who have gone through it. Thank you to all and congrats and best of luck.

2. ak2Ut

ak2Ut Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Give yourself 4 days, when i would start subs i would still go through wds even if i waited 24 hour, they werent nearly as severe but they lasted a few days.

3. TimeToQuit

TimeToQuit

Reputation Points:
    What do you mean AK? Give myself 4 days for what?

4. ak2Ut

ak2Ut Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    When i would start suboxone the first 3-4 days i couldnt sleep, felt weird, stomach ache, i was on edge. It wasnt as much a bad wd as it was a huge transition, the taste of subs is something i could never get used to either

5. TimeToQuit

TimeToQuit

Reputation Points:
    Yea, supposedly they don't make the pill anymore. I got a filmstrip. Haven't tasted it yet. The sub pill is gross and enough to make u throw up from the taste alone. How much sub did u take? Was it enough to take w\d away? I didn't even start yet and the thought alone is making me sick. I would stress every time I needed a refill and in the last 3 years never had to go a day without the Roxie's cause somehow it worked out and I would get the script. I have just enough now to make it to the first when I, starting sub, so I have no fallback and just hoping this really works my first time out.

6. ak2Ut

ak2Ut Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Yea thats true they dont, they make a strip that is supposed to taste better, its lemon and lime.. which i thought tasted way gross plus the dosage seems off as i would get high off half one day then not feel a thing off the other half.

I started with a 8mg pill then over 6 months or so would take 2mg in the am 2mg at night and 2mg anytime something pissed me off, couple mgs if i couldnt get to sleep.

My friend just got on them 3 months ago, she took an 8mg strip morning, evening, and night. I suggest against that take as little as you need. I would advise you to have someone you trust dispense them to you at your doctors advisment, they can be abused just like roxis.

7. TimeToQuit

TimeToQuit

Reputation Points:
    I didn't think u can get high from subs. I hear you 6months and your friend 3 months. Am I completey crazy thinking I don't want to be on them for more than a month.??!

8. azaff64

azaff64 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Hey I was an iv heroin user for years I went to subs twice and they are awsome they help great with withdrawal. I have always waited till I started to feel the affects of withdrawal to take them if you take them to soon it'll spin you into a nasty withdrawl. I took 8 mg to start about 24 to 48 hours after my last opiate its always better to hold out a little longer. You can look forward to being able to operate on the subs I was able to do anything I wanted felt normal . I was a Lil shakey constipated an yea sleep was a little funky for a week or so but was still able to sleep just had a lot of energy. Get to a bunch of n/a meetings stay occupied in recovery . Subs are a good thing to get you off whatever but I would recommend not to stay on them for real long because w/d from subs suck to nothing either way is gonna be cake work but you can do it subs are a good way to transition. And also coming off subs is no where near as violent of a w/d.

9. TimeToQuit

TimeToQuit

Reputation Points:
    Thanks aza. How did u deal without the H for 24-48 hours. You must have had full blown w/d. I usually take my last dose of roxi at about 6-7 pm, and I wake up just about in withdrawal until I pop as soon as my eyes open. That's gonna be the hardest. Next Thursday will be my last dose of roxi at around 5pm. Then Friday morning I have an appt with doc t get sub at 10.

TimeToQuit added 1 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

When the doc finally gives me the sub,,, am I going t be able to drive myself home?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  10. ak2Ut

ak2Ut Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    With out a doubt wait at least 18 hours but with your dose i would say 24 hours, your wd wont be as bad if you wait that long, taking sub too soon will throw you into nasty wd. And yes you should be able to drive home

11. azaff64

azaff64 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Yea I would def wait atleast 24 hours yes I was in hell all the times in w/d but my last time I got on subs I did a shot the night before an I wasn't in heavy w/d and it did exactly that made life suck for a few days so if you can hold out I know it sucks but the longer you hold out taking the sub the better they work . You could be in full blown w/d take the sub wait 30 min to an hour an be ready to go run a marathon lol bit yea taken suboxone to soon will make you hate life .

12. CrispCold

CrispCold Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I didn't use the suboxone correctly b/c I used oxys while on sub. Idk why, but I never had an issue going from oxys to suboxone as soon as I felt withdrawals coming on, but Azaff and Ak2Ut's experiences are most common. You should really try to have 18-24 hours minimum since your last dose. The more time, the less precipitated withdrawal you'll feel.

I hope your sub doctor is a good one. Mine was a fraud that only wanted the money. I didn't need to be on it for 18 months, he never checked on me, just a script mill.
    Use the suboxone the right way...take only the sub and start at as low of a dose as you can stand. I'd go for a 3 week or month taper if you're really determined. Staying on the sub for longer is good for adjusting your habits, because as you said, you have to take roxis as soon as you wake up. Once the sub is in your system, you can try to wait until noon and break those patterns. I took half my dose in the morning and half at night.

I started on 4mg and like I said, I never took subs the right way, yet I still could get by on a tiny chip of an 8mg sub in the morning and night. I was taking less than 2mg/day when I jumped off subs and I never properly tapered...it's a strong medicine! The withdrawals were tough and drawn out for me, which is why I'd agree to just try and take them for a month or so at most.

13. Jumpbunny

Jumpbunny Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    See u got some great responses :) glad ur started a thread. N from my oxy habit I waited 18 hrs n it wasn't enough but I was taking a ridiculous amount. Stay positive, like I said u only need to go thru the wds once n once you properly induct you will feel much better. Take care

14. TimeToQuit

TimeToQuit

Reputation Points:
    I hear you about shitty doctors. As I said, I am waiting for the sub Doc on March 1st. I got anxious yesterday and decided I didn't want to lose 10 days waiting so I googled sub doctors in my area and went to one. Well let me tell you, he was the biggest douchbag I ever met. Talked down to me like a piece of shit cause I am on pills. I literally almost knocked him out but had to hold back cause he was holding my sub script in his hand. So I bit my lip, kept my mouth shut and took the script. After thinking for a while I realized I DEFInitly didn't want to do this under his watch, so I'm now waiting for my original appt on the 1st. This doc was referred to me by my aunt and supposedly one of the few sub doctors that actually care.

15. Jumpbunny

Jumpbunny Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    You made a very wise gut decision and its always nice to have a referral from someone trusted. Also if this dr is cool, just be totally honest with him. Tell him your concerns. Always best to have a trusting relationship with your dr. Many people can relate to your experience with the a-hole dr.

16. ak2Ut

ak2Ut Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I think its great how you dealt with the bad suboxone doctor. Some of them just want your money and will keep you on it as long as possible. Its great that you were able to see that and handle it the right way, you are there because you want to better your life, they shouldnt look down at you for that. When you go to your new doc on march 1st, tell him your desire for a short taper, if he is not willing to do that for you then keep looking for one that will be understanding, they are out there and i think this route is going to be the best bet for you and im excited to see how it all turns out.

17. TimeToQuit

TimeToQuit

Reputation Points:
    Wow, Thanks guys. Really REALLY appreciate all your support. I will def keep you all posted.

18. azaff64

azaff64 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Well you got a lot of great advise here. I have been back an fourth from h to subs multiple times and ill tell ya the short taper is an awsome idea the thing about suboxone is chemically manufactured works on multiple levels will get you back to feeling normal and be able to function like your not on anything. The down side is there is still a w/d process off suboxone but is no where near like coming straight off opiates. It's like the plain old flu compared to like the swine or the holy apocolipse . But some people need to be on for awhile. The main reason a lot of people stay on it longer is so that they can straighten out there life while on subs . In my case my Dr. Was not willing to taper me nor mention anything to help me with sleeping very close minded. But this time around I got myself in narcotics annonumus and got a support system an eventually felt safe in coming off. Short taper is a lot better for detoxification but I'm my case I stayed on subs for like 4 months slowly tapering through out an coming off was to bad but like I say I got together a possitive support system and got involved in recovery. I wish you the best and give you big props for making changes but always remember you never have to go through this again .

19. Cybercake

Cybercake Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    Hay, Time. When Bubba came off of opiates, she was doing 24-32mg Suboxone daily. Honey, why be miserly with them? You are in MISERY and you NEED al the help you can get. So do yourself a favor....
    Tapering is a piece of cake UNTIL you reach the 2mg per day mark. IMHO, you will think you'll NEVER GET off that 2mg! Don't snicker...it's true.

Cybercake added 2 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

Girl!! 4 months on Sub? I was on for 8 years!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  20. Jumpbunny

Jumpbunny Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Huh? Not sure what Bubbas trying to say here to help Time? Sorry if I missed the message just confused on last post