Combinations - Sulpiride (Dolmatil)

Discussion in 'Antipsychotics' started by detox, Dec 8, 2004.

1. detox

detox Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hi,

I have been prescribed lots of different drugs (for various things) Dihydrocodeine, Diazepam, Effexor, Prozac, Amitriptyline, Lorazepam, and something called Sulpiride (Dolmatil).

I decided not to take it after reading the side effects- it is described as an Anti-psychotic Drug and a 'major tranquilliser'.

I am not psychotic and not schizophrenic. Anyone taken it or know why it was prescribed? Is it stronger or act the same way as Diazepam (Valium)?

Cheers

D.

2. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    That's quite a cocktail you've got there - an opiate
    painkiller, 3 antidepressants(SNRI, SSRI and a
    tricyclic), 2 benzo's and an antipsychotic...

Sulpiride is quite a versatile drug, used at low
    doses(200-400 mg) to treat what are called 'negative
    symptoms' in psychotic illnesses, i.e withdrawn, highly
    introspective, depressed and troubled mind sets. At
    these doses it can have an activating effect, providing
    relief from troubling thoughts without the sedation and
    side effects found at higher doses. Low dose
    antipsychotics are sometimes used as an alternative to
    benzo's for treating agitation and anxiety, which
    ironically can be side effects of antipsychotics and
    antidepressants. Valium is often used to counter the
    'restless legs' that sometimes come with antipsychotics
    and antidepressants, as well as being an anxiolytic and
    sleeping aid, which I can imagine you'd need after
    Prozac and Effexor, both quite effective stimulants in
    a lot of people, although Amitriptyline has a sedating
    edge, so will also help sleep...

If you don't mind me asking, what doses are you taking
    and when, what exactly is your doctor trying to treat,
    and has he/she explained why this collection of uppers,
    downers and roundabouters has been prescribed? Don't
    be afraid to ask your doc for a justification of the
    decision made - it's your nervous system and head that
    the doc is tinkering with, and polydrugging, even with
    prescribed drugs, can be dangerous.

Edited by: micklemouse

3. detox

detox Newbie

Reputation Points:

I suffered from Anxiety and Depression and a serious sport injury.

The Dihydrocodeine was for my injury and I got addicted to them even taking large quantities until I couldn't get them any more (hell on earth after).

Just before that I was on various ssri's as mentioned to see which one worked the best? Diazepam and Lorazepam for my Anxiety.

It was when they put me on Sulpiride that I was worried and didn't take them.

The Amitriptyline was something else I don't know why I was on but can remember being put on dothiepine also? Sleep I think?

The only thing I take now is diazepam once in a blue Moon just to take the edge off. Although I only have about 60mg left and I will not be able to get anymore because I am OK health-wise now?

I think I was a Guinea-pig for a few months?

D.

4. detox

detox Newbie

Reputation Points:
    [/QUOTE]

It was when they put me on Sulpiride that I was worried and didn't take them.

[/QUOTE]

Just to add The reason I wondered about whether Sulpiride was like Diazepam (Valium) was because as I just mentioned I am low on Diazepam and wondered if Sulpiride would act the same way...for my once in a blue moon.

The Sulpiride Tablets are 200mg x 30

D.

5. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    O.k., that's a bit more reassuring! The way I read
    your first post I thought you were still taking all the
    meds you mentioned! Apologies! [​IMG] !

From what you've said it sounds like Sulpiride,
    although an unusual choice because of the side effect
    profile, is being used as an alternative to benzo's,
    with the added bonus of the antidepressant edge that I
    mentioned before. 200 mg is pretty much the lowest
    dose prescribed, but you can always ty halfing it if
    you find it too sedating.

One more thing, which your doc should have told you,
    if you get any stiffness in the jaw, neck, shoulders or
    wrists, or find you have difficulty controlling your
    eyes, after taking Sulpiride get to your nearest E.R.
    as quickly as you can (but please don't drive
    yourself!), taking the packet/bottle of Sulpiride with
    you. They'll give you a little drug that'll sort it
    out in a matter of minutes - usually Procyclidine or
    Benzhexol. This is unusual at such a low dose, but
    still something you should be aware of.

Like I said, an unusual choice(Olanzepine or one of the
    other Atypical antipsychotics would have been better),
    but it should work as an alternative to benzo's.

Both Dothiepin and Amitryptiline are used to help
    sleep, being quite sedating antidepressants.

As for being a guinea pig, you're not far off the mark!
    Doctors decisions seem to be quite arbitrary at times,
    and often seem to be made on a flavour of the month
    basis, depending on what incentives, adverts and
    freebies the drug reps have dropped off, coupled with
    the fact that there is no way of knowing whether a drug
    will actually work for an individual when it comes to
    psychiatric medication. Psychiatry is a very new and
    still inexact science.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

6. dr ACE

dr ACE Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    i too have been prescribed Sulpiride (Dolmatil) not for the exact same reason but for what was described by the 'psych-doctor'as what he termed possible 'begining off psychosis',due toheavy cannabis use.he said it would sort out my brain chemistry.i would describe the effects as being a very powerfull sleeping drug it dose seem to take the edge off Anxiety but not with the pleasent euphoric effect that diazepam has.does anyone have any more info on this drug and its possible effects and side effects (sulpiride)?Edited by: dr ACE

7. mark_v

mark_v Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have to take 2 mg Diazepam and 50 mg Dolmatil 2 times a day for my nasty withdrawel symptomes from Benzo's.

And it helps a bit, but i think the dose is too low for me, because i
    was realy hooked on those benzo's and took VERY high dosages...

Well.. it's better then going Cold Turkey, I can tell you that[​IMG] </span>

8. gwioi

gwioi Newbie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from italy
    is not a precription of doctor...it's a dealer change
    alternate molecule is not the only
    solution dixcover yoursekf...don't let other
    kill you for money

9. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    I have tablets containing 50mg sulpride, they are some sort of antidepressants at that dose I guess, emphasis on guess. What are the effects of 50 or 100 mg? Would low doses be ok with alcohol?

10. ladenburg

ladenburg Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Sulpiride, 50-100 mg per dose, 2-3 times a day was powerfully activating - much more so than Concerta (18-72 mg/day). The effect was almost undesirably strong in the first few days, almost to the point of agitation and restlessness. Unfortunately, tolerance developed fairly rapidly, with little or no effect remaining in the 3rd or 4th week.

Sulpiride preferentially blocks pre-synaptic dopamine D2 autoreceptors, which regulate dopamine synthesis and release by negative feedback to the nerve terminal. The result is a stimulant effect.

At higher doses, the blockade of post-synaptic dopamine D2/D3 receptors begins to predominate, accounting for the antipsychotic effects. Even then, however, sulpiride is a lot cleaner than almost all other antipsychotics (the exception being amisulpride and other agents stucturally related to sulpiride), because it has little or no affinity for dopamine D1, adrenergic, serotonergic, cholinergic and a variety of other receptors that account for many of the side effects associated with dirtier anti-psychotics.

In rats, low-dose sulpiride potentiates the effects of cocaine, and probably other dopamine reuptake inhibitors like methylphenidate.
    I'm currently investigating this potential, and I would be very interested in any comments pertaining to this topic.

Another interesting issue I have yet to look into is whether sulpiride can also potentiate L-DOPA, or the more indirect dopamine precursors tyrosine and phenylalanine.

11. merecat

merecat Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from swaziland
    I was prescribed sulpiride 50mg once or twice a day, in combination with effexor and xanax (the xanax to take 'as needed'... yeah right).

I found sulpiride to be mild, very mild. It helped take the edge off things, but nowhere near like xanax or the effexor.

I've taken up to 500mg of sulpiride... effects were minimal- improved my concentration in much the same way as a small does of ritalin would. There were no major side effects (or any side effects for that matter).

Snorting sulpiride had no recreational value, according to my parrot.

12. Mindless

Mindless Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Old thread this, but with an unanswered question. The sedative effects of Sulpiride would be enhanced when take with alcohol. The standard advice would be to avoid alcohol, as any you do consume on even a low dose may hit you extremely hard. There may be a risk of accidental injury as a result. This goes for antipsychotic drugs in general.

13. ladenburg

ladenburg Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    You would appear to me most mistaken. Sulpiride has no sedative effects, except quite possibly at very high doses, exceeding even the relatively high doses used in psychiatry for schizophrenia and other psychoses.

The doses relevant to this thread are a mere 50-100 mg (po), and at this dosage, sulpiride is not only NOT sedative in any way, but outright stimulating, activating, and energising, unless you have tolerance to the drug.

I find that quite ridiculous, and your statements are most misleading, for reasons state above.

ladenburg added 23 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

Agreed, and this is entirely unsurprising, as sulpiride is not a water-soluble substance, unlike eg. cocaine hydrochloride, or amphetamine sulphate. So, the sulpiride snorted will only passively stay inside your nasal passages, without being dissolved and absorbed and until it is swept away by air at high speed or by mucous (ie. snot). Therefore, it also will not have any pharmacological effect - whether desired or adverse - whatsoever.

If you are looking for recreational or stimulant effects from the sulpiride, rather than anti-psychotic (anti-paranoia, anti-hallucination, etc.) effects, 500 mg is almost a massive overdose. I'm not surprised that you scarcely noticed any effects (indeed, I'm almost surprised you noticed even what you call "minimal" effects). Neither am I surprised that you did not notice any side effects, as sulpiride is very well tolerated, even at higher doses, and the only complaint I have personally heard of, is galactorrhoea (unwanted and "unexpected" breast milk production, a symptom secondary to hyperprolactinaemia from the blockade of dopamine D2-receptors in the pituitary), that that was with doses even much higher than your 500 mg. However, because sulpiride IS a dopamine-antagonist, after and despite all, I would expect Parkinsonian side effects, such as tremor and apathy, at some higher level of dosage.

ladenburg added 3 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

You are entirely correct, that sulpiride is used clinically (medicinally) as an anti-depressant, at low doses such as 50-100 mg, 2-3 times daily. Sulpiride does not interact with alcohol, especially not at low doses, but scarcely even at high doses.

ladenburg added 40 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
Tags: