SWIM is dissapointed+question

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by howlongisthenight, Sep 10, 2006.

1. howlongisthenight

howlongisthenight Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    OK I am on accutane, or roccutane in the UK. He is in his first semester of college and trying not to drink because of the accutane. SWIM also is a very light smoker but enjoys it alot. But the last two times I smoked....he felt a very little buzz and was a little let down. He also tried salvia 10x evtract twice and got no effects. I know that there may be no answer to my question Im posting here, but because I take accutane, cand he no longer get high?

2. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    My God, do they still prescribe this stuff? After a rash of psychotic reactions & sudden suicides in the 80's & 90's I thought it had been pulled. Apparently not, though it is prescribed on a 'named patient' basis it seems.

There is a possibility that as Accutane is actually a form of Vitamin A, which is fat soluble, it may interfere with the action of cannabis but I doubt it - I can't find any reports or literature to indicate this, & I'd imagine it would have more effect on the bodies clearance/storage of marijuana than the actual effects. It is more likely that SWiY, despite being a light smoker, has built up a certain amount of tolerance or familiarity meaning the effects are less pronounced. As for Salvia, if these were the first times SWiY has tried it then it is possible that s/he hasn't had a 'breakthrough experience' yet. Many labrats report minimal or no effect from Salvia the first couple of times they try it - similar to the reverse tolerance many report with cannabis.

Given that Accutane has a reputation for causing sudden & extreme changes in mood & mental state, A Certain Mouse advises caution in the use of any psychoactive substance whilst prescribed it.

Also be sure to get SWiY blood work done regularly. Vitamin A can easily build up to toxic levels.

Please read the patient information leaflet with this med thoroughly.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/isotret_wcp.htm

Roche Puts Accutane Profits Over Lives of Consumers (Sierra Times)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
    1. 3/5,
      great advice about being cautious with psychoactives while on roaccutane
      Sep 14, 2006
  3. howlongisthenight

howlongisthenight Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    SWIM thanks you for the very imformative post. I have "tripped" on salvia before(it was very short), so was a little sad to see it had no effect. Accutane is fat soluable, like THC. I am very weary of Vit. A toxicity and is taking Vitamins C,E and milk thistle to decrease chances of side effects

4. grecian

grecian Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from aruba
    I had always found the effects of salvia to be quite random for instance I has smoked 1 bowl of 5x and tripped heavily and another time smoked 4 bowls of 10x and hardly felt an effect. 1 more thing.... this may not apply to you but a lot of people just dont seem to hold the smoke for long enough and in my experience a few seconds can make a big difference.

I was given two courses of roaccutane in his teens and given the side-effects I agree with Micklemouse that you should be very cautios. if I could go back in time I dont think that I would take it again. I was an occasional pot smoker then and does not recall any problems getting high. however, the pot round here then was so dirty My friends and I never were quite sure what was getting them high.

anyway best of luck to you and i hope u have a good moisturiser

5. howlongisthenight

howlongisthenight Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    its cool to hear from a swim whos already been through it. I have lots of moisturizer, hopes that there are no long term effects though.

6. howlongisthenight

howlongisthenight Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    its cool to hear from a swim whos already been through it. I have lots of moisturizer, hopes that there are no long term effects though.

7. grecian

grecian Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from aruba
    i think its important that you have someone close who you can confide in aswell. its difficult to tell about long term problems, i certainly havnt been as stable mentally since my courses, but this is just as likely to be caused by other factors. Another thing i have noticed in the past few years is joint pain, especially in my knees and ankles. again this may not be anything to do with roaccutane but i am of normal build and weight and exercise regularly so it seems strange. old age maybe.

it is worth bearing in mind that very little is known abouth the long term effects of roaccutane and my personal belief is that the pharmaceutical company that makes it is covering up its effects on mental health in order to continue making money from it.... dont know about u but my courses cost £600 (about $1100) each a few years ago.
    And so it should have been, 'miracle cure' or not. It saddens me that pharmeceutical companies will endanger our health for profit and lie to us about it.