Health - SWIM is on alcohol and effexor (SNRI), would it be safe to dose DXM?

Discussion in 'DXM' started by Stoners_Life, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Stoners_Life

Stoners_Life Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Okay I has consumed 6 beers and has a good buzz he then consumed 100mg's of DXM and he is also on an SNRI Effexor is this dangerous please reply back I am kinda worried and he also heard that DXM can cause strokes not the other products but just DXM

2. Chunkz

Chunkz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o
    Re: Plz SWIM Needs Help

Relax 100mg, isn't even enough to cause an average "high". The max amount of dex that shouldn't be exceeded is 2500mg's! Now with some alchohol, still no big deal, especially if your just buzzed. In fact if i were you i would consume a bit more of either. (Trust me i used to do it all the time) dxm is like a weird substance, but not a narcotic, it's been know to be extremely safe at lowish doses, even with alchohol(lets say no more than 300mg's).(<

3. Stoners_Life

Stoners_Life Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

yea it wasnt really the alcohol I was afraid of it was more of the effexor i have done dxm before and i loved it but since ive started my SNRI im scared on how much i can take and not get serotonin syndrome. Plus one of my friends said that a high dose of DXM alone can cause strokes

4. Chunkz

Chunkz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o

Oh yes, i suppose i skimed across the SMRI part of your post. And actually, SMRI's and other types of antidepressants can be extremely dangerous in combination with other drugs(especially dxm)! But not to be alarmed, 100mg's of dxm isn't quite enough to negatively react, although, i wouldn't recomend trying this combination again. As for the strokes on dxm alone.Iv'e never heard of such thing before, but i wouldn't doubt it though. Also, like i said 100mg's of dxm isn't that intense for such troubles.:)

5. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

Where did SWiY get this? The thing with Serotonin Syndrome is that, although rare, it can happen at any time when 2 serotonergic agents (Venlafaxine is a Serotonin-Norepenephrine Reuptake Inhibitor) are mixed at a significant dose, generally early in therapy, or potentially when mixed in a recreational setting. Although 100mg might not get your monkey to Mars, it is still a significant dose compared to the therapeutic dose of 10 - 30 mg (Wikipedia), therefore extreme caution is advised.