TA recruits using morphine?

Discussion in 'Morphine' started by Fantasian, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    SWIF's friend who is 18 is part of the TA in the uk. THe TA is the terretorial army for any of those who were unsure. It is a temporary type job which one is paid to work between 5 and 12 weeks a year to be trained in the military.

SWIF was recently speaking to his friend called Liveley. Liveley says he had an amazing experience with morphine in the TA. SHocked SWIF asked how this had come to pass.

Liveley says "So that we are able to know what morphine feels like we are given a single dose trial in our training. It is in a amulet around the neck and is smashed or thrust into the neck (it wasnt clear) and the onset of effects was very quick"

SWIF came and asked me was this true.

Ok a couple of things,
    1) Surely the TA cant' condone use of morphine to merely "Experience what it's like so that you know in case of a combat injury requiring morphine"
    2) Surely smashing or jabbing something into your neck is not going to be effective for absorbtion? (and if it was an injection surely that'd be dangerous)
    3) My first reaction is that he was talking shit, but he did describe the effects in great detail and this i dont believe was made up. (as SWIF knows the effects very well

Just wanted oppinions

Cheers guys

2. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    swim assumes (fairly sure) it is probably something similar to an eppy pen. it has a one use needle attached to a small quantity of morphine for a one motion quick injection in the field. I dont think its that ridiculous think about this way, police officers in the US test less than lethal weapons (tasers and such) on themselves before they carry and use them in the field. one must become familar with something before they use it....

no onto whether it is BS, now that I dont know. US soldiers dont carry that but medics are common and morphine is common on the battle field. Swim thinks its feasable for the TA to carry morphine but it is probably checked after every mission for use, but thats just a guess.

3. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    I has wondered about the efficacy of this route of administration as well. many war movies (especially those set in the second world war) show medics or wounded soldiers administering morphine by simply jabbing a syringe or ampule into someone, even if their clothes are still on. I was always under the impression that opiates had to be administered in the IV form for best absorption, but realizes this may not be possible under combat conditions. however he also didnt think IM administration would even work! perhaps IM does work, because he thinks that the movies do have some air of accuracy to them (even though he realizes they are fiction, usually war movies try to preserve some fact in them), and the story about swif's friend seems to support this.

4. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    Opiates can be administerd IM as well, though the onset is slightly slower.

5. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have only injected morphine a few times, not a fan of injecting anything but he did IM worked quite well, sure no huge rush but pretty quick and a needle can easily go through clothing so that shouldnt be a problem.

IM is very nice route for combat situations, its extremely easy and works relitively quickly... oviously not IV fast but sure beats oral.

6. Mr Bumble

Mr Bumble Grumpy Gorilla Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from UK
    very old post but one that was never answered fully.

Yes IM work very well however only morphine specially prepared for injection should be admisitered by this route. Trying to inject pills into the muscle will likely leave filliers and such under the skin and cause infection problems.

I have many friends family in the British Army and some who were injured in combat or medics and have experience of morphine first hand.

Morphine would never be injected into the neck, this is BS, standard army training says you go for the biggest non-damaged muscle, so if one leg is blown off you inject into the other leg.
    If both legs are gone you inject into the shoulder and so on.

Up until relatively recently the morphine came in something like a tube off toothpaste with a large needle on the end, these have now been replaced with something similar to an eppi pen or the pens used for insulin but with a bigger needle.

Yes these can be injected through clothing.

Yes at times certain units were issued individual Morphine pens on a neck chain. Morphine supplies were limited so if a soldier was injured he/she could administer his/hers own morphine or someone else could take the pen from his neck and give it to him/her.

No doubt certain units still carry their own morphine but as supplies got short now it's generally carried in medipacks.

No the TA or any other unit to not get to test morphine in training. More likely your friend stole a pen and tried it himself.

If you have ever seen any war movies were injured soldiers had "M" drawn on their face to show they have been given morphine, this is fact and a method still used. It allows any other medic to know what drugs the soldier has been given in the field.