Setting - Taking Mushrooms Alone

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by ramjet, May 28, 2005.

1. ramjet

ramjet Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Basically, I'm home alone tonight, my g-friend's gone away for the
    weekend and all of my friends are either on holiday or revising for
    exams (as I should be) - and I thought I'd leave those [email protected] (exams)
    behind after I finished uni, oh well.

Anyway, I'm gonna need a break from revising tonight and wondered if
    taking mushrooms by yourself is a worth while/rewarding experience?
    I've taken them on numerous occasions with friends, but never by
    myself. If you think it can be worth while, have you got any tips for
    how to make it a more interesting/fun experience? eg do you watch a
    movie, play on the computer, just sit and think and let the thoughts
    flow over you ...? Any recommendations as to the strain of mushroom
    that is best suited for tripping alone (something introspective maybe)?

2. Daeron

Daeron Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from gaza_strip
    TV should be just a background-turn on Animal planet or something simillar,lay back,have some fruit around,good music and heavy thinking.And when you feel youre comming down,grab some good book.

3. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    Tripping Alone

You could try taking them alone and see how you like it, you might
    enjoy it. Personally though, I prefer to take them with other
    people... I have a tendency to really miss my friends when I take them
    alone. It's nice to have someone to share the experience
    with. I usually end up getting my dog or my cat to keep me
    company.

Anyway, when I trip alone, I usually put my headphones on for pretty
    much the whole time and sit around and just think about shit.
    Also, little brain teaser toys are pretty fun - like the kind where you
    have to build a cube out of irregular shaped blocks... I played with
    one of those forever once.

I prefer to save watching TV or movies until the comedown... gives
    me something to do, plus I can understand it better.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  4. FryDay

FryDay Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Shrooms alone can be very rewarding, and also can be very scary... it all depends on your attitude/fears/expectations... that good ol set and setting everyone always talks about. A good way to spend a solo trip is in complete darkness, entering your inner mind more completely, which can be very rewarding. Headphones are a great suggestion, and all the others are great as well. Enjoy the night if you do make the decision.

5. ramjet

ramjet Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    thanks for all those suggestions. As it happens, one of my friends
    had justcome back from Istanbull and called me up at the last
    moment, so I'll have to try it out at a later date.

However, while my friend was busy throwing up in my toilet (he hasn't
    slept properly since Wednesday, I guess his bodu had just had enough) I
    sat outside on my balcony alone and had some truely wonderful feelings
    of "enlightenment", seeing God through nature etc. it was truely
    awe-inspiring.

6. polloloco001

polloloco001 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    when ive done shrooms alone ive found thta it seems to be a little more
    intense because you dont have other people there to keep you in reality
    at all, you can just follow the trip wherever it might take you. of
    course intense doesnt always mean good, if you start flippin out and
    you dont have anybody to calm you down it could be bad.

7. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I wouldn't have a problem taking mushrooms alone if the oppurtunity was right. You would of course need the free time and no disturbances.

8. Caliform

Caliform Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    It's quite fucking dangerous if you don't know yourself. That's
    all I can say. I did it on myself once, but it's not secure, that's for
    sure. You might ignore certain risks or enlarge others in your high.
    It's not a constant effect of psilocybin, but I expirienced a little
    less reluctance to risks when on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2009
  9. sloppo

sloppo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Terence McKenna advocated taking the mushroom alone, at a high dose, infrequently, in a dark confortable room with little sensory stimuli. That is not my idea of a fun time but it can be rewarding, and frightening.

I find that in a group tripping is much more fun and euphoric, even with just one other person. There are other people around you must interact with so its hard to sink deeply into oneself. Partaking alone is more serious and can be downright scary, not for the faint. SWIM almost never trips alone. This is just SWIM's personal view, YMMV.

Sloppo

10. cannabis-sam

cannabis-sam Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from afghanistan
    taking first mushroom trip alone bad idea?

tonight swIm was thinking of trying mushrooms.

hemanaged to grow a mushroom (theres more pins but one fully grown) they are psilopsybin cubensis nepal chitwan.

At the moment he's living with his parents, they have gone to bed, they are aware that he uses drugs recreationally and are very understanding.

he has made some tea already with one 3 inch long shroom and a few aborts, it is a small amount and he wants a small starter dose, his biggest worry about mushrooms is being too open or making an utter twat out of himself.

he wants a level one trip maybe a few closed eye visuals nothing too intense. he enjoys his own company and feel comfortable in his room, has plenty of pink floyd, telly computer (thinking of watching alice in wonderland). he get stoned a lone quite a lot and in some ways prefers being at home than out.

I think he's pretty balanced has been ill this week (could this contribute to a bad trip) although Is better now, nothing traumatic has really happened hasn't felt very low or anything and has a new nephew some some good things are happening and getting college sorted.

he's done a fair bit of research on the effects the different levels etc and is thinking as it's quite a small amount would anything go wrong. and Is guessing with the amount it won't last that long any way. he's not too aprehensive of course a little as with any new drug.

So yeah if people could answer quick because he really wants to decide in the next hour if he's going to drink his magic elixir tonight or if he should save it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2008
  11. KomodoMK

KomodoMK Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Re: taking first mushroom trip alone bad idea?

My little fishy have never used mushrooms so can't really give advice based on experience with that particular substance. What he will say is that it is more about how one feels about themselves and their current mental state. If one is comfortable then why not give it a go, starting at a low dose and working their way up.

At the end of the day only the person in question really knows their body and mind. Little fishy says if you have doubts then leave it and come back another time, when your more prepared for it.

12. Stationary Traveller

Stationary Traveller Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o

If You haven't done it already, I would reccomend at least one person whom you trust and feel safe with. If You has no experience with other mind altering drugs then the main problem is that you can just freak out because it is a whole new world. The whole problem with doing it alone is that You can save a bad trip from the earlier signs (like paranoia or discomfort) by talking to swiys tripsitter or whatnot, the tripsitter will be a comforting factor for swiy, but when swiys alone there is noone to help You ou but swiyself, and You may not have the mental experience yet to cope with that kind of thing.

But whatever You does (or did) I hope it goes wonderful and may You find that You is looking for.

13. kerang

kerang Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from albania

Maybe to late to comment on this now... but from what You writes this swimmer sees no problems with doing this alone.

Sounds like a bit tricky to estimate that dose tho...
    Swim recomend to dry the shrooms and measure from its dry weight and not by inches(we're not measureing our cocks here are we)

If dry I would say 0.8 -1.0 gram would be enough to get some visuals.
    After shromms have dries they loose about 90% of their weight, so if fresh one would take 8-10 grams FRESH

Beware that aborts are more potent than normal shrooms in relation to weight. I do not do aborts because of this.

You seems like a comfortable person in a safe setting so he says go for it if You feels like it. Swim says setting is everything.

14. tryptamaster

tryptamaster Newbie

Reputation Points:

haha, I has tripped alone many a time but prefers to trip with close friends because when hes alone he has all these revalations and no one to share them with. ud be fine most likely as far as freaking out but i gurantee ull wanna talk to someone during the trip.

15. cra$h

cra$h Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Philly

yea, it's nice having someone to talk to. It helps keep your head strait being able to communicate. Have a friend or 2, no more though, then once you've become experienced then try alone. But if you're looking at a low dose, can't see the harm. Just keep your head strait, and if you don't like something, get the hell away from it.

16. cannabis-sam

Reputation Points:
    from afghanistan

I did try a low dose, he had some mild visual distortions (chest of drawers grew bigger and smaller, walls changed a bit), also got a lot of peripheral hallucinations patterns and suchlike around him and felt extremely fucked all night. swim thoroughly enjoyed his experience, I am still thinking of taking a slightly higher dose a lone but isn't sure if it's a good idea, I am planning a trip with friends at the weekend (one experienced one first time) but would like to get to know the drug a little better before taking it around others.

One thing swim wonders is how much different would a level two trip compare to a level one trip (threshold) is it that much more intense, swim still found he could talk to people on msn and post on internet forums pretty easily but wonders if with a slightly higher dose he would be too fucked to do these things.

What should I do.

17. thealmassi1

thealmassi1 Silver Member

Reputation Points:

lol I am in the same position as you, except he has had 3 experiences with shrooms with doses up to 4g. If You thinks he is mentally stable and is not insecure then go ahead and do it. Hidden issues can surface at frightening levels but that was only during SWIM's 4g trip. SWIy seems over cautious and sensible so IMO, go ahead and do it. Just don't do it being unsure of the drug or anxious of the effects.

Shrooms can't hurt you, so no matter what happens, remember that.

18. cannabis-sam

Reputation Points:
    from afghanistan

I am trying to make sure he doesn't ruin the drug for himself from what I has read he thinks it could be something swim really enjoys.

the idea is to build hemself up and really get to know the drug