Combinations - Taking SSRIs and Psilocybin/Magic Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Antidepressants' started by TheCadaverousOne, May 25, 2006.

1. TheCadaverousOne

TheCadaverousOne Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM suffers from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and is on Luvox(an SSRI) to relieve his symptoms. I have been reading research that claims Psilocyben dramatically reduces OCD symptoms for months at a time. I am worried about possible negative consequences that could result from mixing the two. If You could share some insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    SSRI's will dampen the effect of psychedelics to a great extent. A good portion of how most common (an not so common) psychedelics work in the brain deals with serotonin. SSRI's diminish the serotonin available. So something like psilocybin will not have the desired effect.

Best to continue your research. Perhaps your monkey can find another approach.

3. TheCadaverousOne

TheCadaverousOne Newbie

Reputation Points:
    But psilocybin is a seritonin receptor agonist. That means it activates the seritonin recepter independently of the neurotransmitter seritonin.

4. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Which means that they are busy like a switchboard overloaded. Hence psilocybin may get a few rings through - but remain largely ignored.

5. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P. Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    If you are willing to discontinue the use for a few weeks and try shrooms then maybe that would be worth a shot. Shrooms might be an alternative to ssri medications but I do not think that is what you are looking to do.

I would think shrooms could also do the opposite to someone with OCD. I know he and many other my have showed symptoms of loosing control and repetetive thoughts comparable to OCD. Shrooms might make you obsess over something meaningless for hours and have a horrible trip. On the other hand, SWIM also thinks if you just sit back and let the shrooms do their magic, it could make drastic changes in the way you think and help with the OCD. Just a thought, but it could go either way. If you had a bad trip you might start thinking obsessively about it but I do not know if your OCD includes symptoms like that.

6. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    "...but it could go either way..."

Or any and all points between. I reiterate: Try to find a different approach. At least for the time being. This is not a horse-race.

7. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    My roommate has pretty severe OCD (does not take SSRI's or anything for it either)... now, for him psilocybin does relieve the OCD symptoms almost totally. But not for months or any extended period of time, as soon as the effects of the psilocybin wear off the OCD comes back. Great relief for him. However, like said, just because that's the effect on him doesn't mean that it'll be the same for everyone...

Just thought I'd share that.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  8. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    shrooms have very powerful mood elevation properties when taken in small amounts for swim. I can definetly see its anti-depressive potential so I guess it would relieve or improve ocd and other disorders including anxiety and unipolar depression.

I have taken shrooms and paxil with no aparent harm but dosage was VERY low

9. chemicaljustice

chemicaljustice Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Take it easy

I used shrooms with venlafaxine(effexor) once. Half a normal dosage was used. The experience was very colorful, controlable and filled with euphoria. No negative side effects were experienced. I used shrooms again later when he wasn't using meds anymore (same dosage) and found the experience much too strong with very heavy bodyload. I think the combination should pose no physical threat and is probably very enjoyable.
    Note: I wouldn't recommend combining SSRI's with any type of drugs as the effects are unpredictable (for the most part psychologically as one is most likely not to be mentally stable while on SSRI's). But if you do always start out with a low dosage and have somebody there to watch you.

10. el burgo

el burgo Newbie

Reputation Points:
  11. SullyGuy

SullyGuy Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
  12. Boca Bitch

Boca Bitch Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Fluoxetine and Magic Mushrooms - Safe?

NO!!!!!

The active ingredient in "shrooms" is psilocin. It is active at the 5HT 2a, 2c, and 1a binding sites as an agonist... using two serotonergic agents at once dramatically increases one's chance of developing serotonin syndrome. While this occurs most frequently in overdose cases, I still highly advise against the combo as measuring the relative dose of psilocin per g. of "shrooms" is pretty much impossible.

Even then, it's likely that combining an SSRI with a serotonergic agonist of the hallucinogen class would result in one hell of a paranoid, uncomfortable trip.

13. northernlights

northernlights Newbie

Reputation Points:
  14. testodan

testodan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
  15. MisterV

MisterV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from switzerland

SWIM combined once his SSRI medication with shrooms. He took an incredible high dose without having any effects, he had without being on SSRIs!

I shouldnt waste the shrooms unless this combination is never 100% save!

16. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland

It shouldn't be toxic as psilocin is only partial agonist and clings to the serotonin receptor itself, whereas SSRI's block the reuptake site of the neuron and create their effects through increased serotonin levels. The psilocin has to compete with the increased serotonin.

17. franglish9265

franglish9265 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Long term use of SSRI's also results(or is correlated) in 5HTP2(a,b,c) receptor down-regulation.

So, I'd only take a small dose at first If you are going to do so to avoid SSyn., however it may be likely that you will not feel anything at all or a very reduced effect from the substance. If one can, Titrate off the SNRIs/SSRIs slowly, perhaps slower than what is normally suggested (ie two months or longer instead of two weeks, depending on the drug'(s)'(s) half life) to avoid a break in remission.

I would use the SNRI/SSRI's Half-life times 7 rule to calculate approximately when the Anti-depressant is fully out of your system.

For example let's say the ssri's half-life is 24hrs, on day one of discontinuation from let's say 25mgs, you would have 12.5 mgs in your system, next half life 6.25 mgs, next half life 3.13mgs, 1.6 mgs, 0.8mgs, 0.4, and then by the 7th half-life 0.2mgs.

After this, you could probably safely take what have you, and provided you have a good setting and perhaps a sitter, have a nice experience. Also, the 7-Half-life rule can be a good estimate of when the effects of other things are out of your system, benzos, x, y, z,....