Temperature of Nitrous Oxide Gas

Discussion in 'Nitrous Oxide' started by pokergod0588, Oct 9, 2005.

1. pokergod0588

pokergod0588 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i read on another site that when you crack the nitrous into the balloon, that it's really cold but it never said what to do about it....now i thought nitrous was naturally cold and was wondering if you gotta let the balloon sit to heat up or what?

also, are crackers legal in USA? i know headshopssell 'em but they also sell snorters and such (which arnt legal) so i wasnt sure what would happen if i got pulled over and a cop found one

2. These Forensics

These Forensics Newbie

Reputation Points:
    nitrous does get cold. your fingers can start to feel like theyre
    frostbitten if you keep handling the cans. anyone whose ever cracked a
    few cans into a balloon and fell on the floor feeling like everything
    that you can hear is filtered through a tin can knows that
    Edited by: These Forensics

3. pokergod0588

pokergod0588 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    but i was most worried about inhaling it while its freezing cold....tht could prolly hurt like a bitch, no?

do you gotta wait for it to get closer to room temp b/4 inhaling or what?

4. GDxCAT

GDxCAT Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    i usually wait about 10 seconds. by that time it is safe to inhale.

5. lilsteve

lilsteve Newbie

Reputation Points:
    as soon as it is decompressed from the canister into the balloon, it
    should warm up to atmospheric levels and will be perfectly fine. the
    problem i have heard most about is frozen balloons breaking around the
    cracker.

6. BorisB

BorisB Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    We all get nitrous in pressurized canisters or tanks. When it expands out of those containers into the air or into a baloon, it absorbs a lot of energy in the form of surrounding heat. Thereby, it will freeze the neck of a baloon. I forget exactly what it is about it being in an extremely pressurized liquid form that makes it so cold too.

However, if you've ever been outside in the northern US during the middle of winter, you know what it's like to breathe air that's 0 degrees Farenheit. It hurts, but it's safe. The real danger of the cold is if you try to inhale nos directly out of a cracker. It WILL freeze to your lips and freeze your tongue.

On another note, I always considered it prudent to inhale the gas cold. This is because cold systems allow gasses to dissolve more easily in liquids than warm systems. Think of pouring a soda - if it's hot, all the carbonation fizzes out - if it's cold and you pour it over ice, it will stay fizzy. If you open a hot can, it will spurt and fizz - if you open a cold can, the carbonation will remain.
    So when you inhale cold N2O, I always figured, you allow more of it to get into your body more quickly.

7. Push-Limit

Push-Limit Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yeah i found that balloons can crack around the neck. best way to avoid this is to :
    make sure of having good quality balloons
    use some trigger control. not much but if it goes in the balloon slower its less likely to freeze. it is even possible to shoot directly into mouth/lungs if done with good control although dangerous as it can result in burns to lips and all of mouth. so its not worth doin.
    if the neck of the balloon does freeze then don't move it till it warms up a little or it will crack. use ur fingers to warm it then roll it off the cracker
    nozzle.

The gas out of the balloon isn't really as cold as u might think. its cold as it comes out of cannister but once its in the balloon its ok.

Theres nothing more annoying than a nos binge being cut short by balloons persihing in the cold. Good Luck out there.

8. soMeDIC

soMeDIC Newbie

Reputation Points:
    It all goes back to PV=nRT
    As the volume goes from small(in the cartidge) to large(in the baloon) the temperature drops in order to equalize pressure.

That's not really that important though...
    Use a towel to hold the craker(like in hitchikers guide, or south park... dont forget to bring a towel)
    Be careful if you take the balloon off as you will waste much of the gas.
    I recommend you just unscrew the cracker and inhale straight from the part attatched to the baloon.

WARNING if you have just cracked one the metal will be COLD and if your lips are wet it will stick. If this happends do not pull off.... be patient and dont panic, lick your lips and it will unstick itself.

The gas is not cold enough to cause any damage. just be carefull with ur lips and the cracker.

Oh and the crackers are legal you just cant have them next to cartriges. IT's like you cant have a gun and ammo in the same compartment of ur vehicle.

Cops would probably ignore it unless u have a pile of empy(or full)cartriges around (he might do some but dont get paranoid and it will be ok)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2007
  9. pappascowler

pappascowler Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    think about it, the artic air is sometimes like -50'C right?

innuits and explorers are usually fine arent they?

these are just random guesses but i think just putting it into the baloon will render it safe.