1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.

Overdose - The Alprazolam Overdose Thread

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by Cleverdemise, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cleverdemise

Cleverdemise Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Feb 4, 2005
    Hi everyone..... On christmas day I developed anxiety and panic disorder... I was perscribed 1mg pills for a about a month, and then and i got cut down to two .5mg pills of xanax, which i take two times a day, unless i have an emergency and require three...... I usually use them for recreational use about once a month, but i've heard that you can overdose at around (i read this on erowid, the kid was 14) 20mgs of xanax and end up in a temporary coma. I have a high tolerance for pills, and not just benzodiazapines, i'm talking pretty much any pills. Like i can take 40-50 mgs of valiums and not even really feel anything. I can drive just fine and my motor skills are are great. Vics and perks have no affect one me.The problem is that i've heard that if you take around 20 mg's of xanax, you can go into a xanax coma, which would obviously not be cool. Right now at this very second, i'm on 17mg's of xanax, and other than feeling a little heavy and down, I'm not feeling a whole lot. I usually only use xanax reacreationally about once month, so i don't think i have a crazy high tolerance. Ofcourse, the 20mg coma thing i read on erowid from a 14 year old kid, so maybe that's why. I'm about 6ft tall and i weight about 140 lbs, and 19 years old, so do you think it would be safe to take any more? I'm not really trying to get into a coma or anything, obviously... ***** also, i have a really high tolerance for pills. Not just benzos, i'm talking any pills. Asprin, vics, valiums, i dont know why, but i just have a high tolererance to pills. Would it be safe to take more than 20mgs? Be honest, i dont wanna die or go into a coma or anything. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Edited by: Cleverdemise
  2. Gahaba22

Gahaba22 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Sep 17, 2004
    It is really hard to take you seriously. I don't know anyone who could take 17mg of xanax and still be conscious- and trust me, I would know. If you are not going to be mature about your drug use and the use of this forum, please refrain from using both.

3. Cleverdemise

Cleverdemise Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Feb 4, 2005

Why is it so hard to take me seriously? I actually have severe axiety and panix disorder, is it possible that half of the dosage of I'm taking is making me "normal" and the other half is the recreational effect? White footballs are .25 mg, peach are .5mg, blue 1mg, and bars are 2mg. I'm hardly a drug abuser (other than xanax, which like i said, is only once a month) due to my high level of anxiety. Are there some kind of drugs that counter-act xanis? I'm also on Depakote, paxil, kavakava, and a few other tranquilizing, stress releaving herbs. But i can assure you, i definitely ingested 17 mg;s of xanax, and other than feeling really tired, and slightly heavy and out of it, i felt nothing at all.
  4. Cleverdemise

Cleverdemise Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Feb 4, 2005

And on another note, is it possible for xanax to go bad or something? The pills i took looked kinda old. Another thing is, i know you can develop a tolerance quickly to benzo's, but i can't hardly imagine building up tolerance that can diminish 17mg's of zanis. Well, i just picked up 30 bars, so i'll try again in the future, but any input would be gladly appreciated. I'm not a faker or anything, this is all the truth, why would i go out of my way just to lie, there's nothing to benefit from it.

Once i took around 10 mg's of xanax, and i was so fucked up, i could barely type, and i fell down the steps and got bruised and hurt, and i didnt feel a thing, and then i fell asleep for like 20 hours. So i can't understand why 17mg's of zani's would have virtually no effect on me. There had to be something wrong with the pills i took, because there's no way i have that high of a tolerance... it's not like i use benzo's recreationally every other day or anything.... i do it like once a month at MOST. Other than that, i take about a mg of kolonopin daily for my actual anxiety/panic problems.....

This is one of my favorite drugs, so i'm really peeved about this.... Any information you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.
  5. Benzhead

Benzhead Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Feb 12, 2005
    from U.S.A.
    Your claim does stretch credulity. After 4 years of Clonazepam therapy, I can take large doses..8mg is no problem, but it took me years to develop the level of tolerance that taking this dosage would allow.

By the way, my prescribed dosage is 4mg/day..which may have some anxiolytic effect. I know that it does if I take 4mg at one dosing.

You could be getting bad benzos, but this is pretty uncommon.

What markings are on your Xanax(Alprazolam) pills?
  6. club222

club222 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Jan 6, 2005
    17mg and you would be out, unless if you have a super high tolerance. I
    posted my story about my experience with Xanax in some topic in the
    Benzo's forum. I was prescribed to it for years to help anxiety and
    depression. I overdosed on about 12mg one night. Still not sure about
    the exact amount since I didn't care at the time and just took them.
    I've never met anybody with a tolerance that high, and even if yours
    is, I wouldn't risk taking that much Xanax. The overdose isn't worth
    it. Smoke some weed or something.
  7. Malinovski

Malinovski Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Alprazolam overdose-a lesson

Four days ago I woke up at the Emergency Department with nasal tube and infusions,with amnesia about events prior to the hospitalization.Now I remember that I took 8 mg of alprazolam in order to get stoned.That quantity equals 8 tablets out of 30 tabs package.When I returned home yesterday-get this-I found noneexcept one of thepills.Since nobody had access to them,I devised a theory,with two possible explanations:

1)After I took the first 8 pills I lost my senses and overindulged myself in an alprazolam consuming festivity.

2)I became suicidal (?) so I reached for the rest of the package.

So here is my advice.The key word here is desinhibition,so if you intend to get stoned on benzoes,keep the rest of the pills out of your reach.You may loosethe capability to judge or perhaps you may get amnesia.I would recommend that you keep off the alcohol,too.

Bitter lesson.........

Edited by: Malinovski
  8. Benzhead

Benzhead Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Feb 12, 2005
    from U.S.A.
    Good advice.

Sorry it had top happen to you.

Thanks for sharing, Igor.

It's best to give the balance of your pills to someone that won't give them back to you..under any circumstances.

Benzodiazepines are relatively safe. They are, after all toxins with a side effect desirable for treating a small number of relatively common conditions.

Be Safe!Edited by: benzhead
  9. picpic

picpic Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Mar 7, 2005
    As long as you don't combine Alprazolam, it's very hard to OD on it. That's one of the reasons probably the most important reason why the benzodiazapines took place of barbiturates; it is very hard to OD on them. Iknow many people that took 30-40 mg.s without any tolarance and they woke up after a few days. I'm not saying that it's a smart thing to do but it's not as dangerous as poping lots of opiate pill.
  10. dedly

dedly Newbie

Reputation Points:
    May 5, 2005
    i know what cleverdemise is talking about (and in anyway does that moniker refer to your last ditch escpse route?) i did the whole rainbow of tranks, seds, etc. snd found xanax fairly benign... i could take a fistfull and still funtion like a retarded drunk...
    1 time in mexico, puerto valarta i think, and i samshed a jeep due to, get this, automatic driver acceration. it was the fucking jeep and we were fucked-up, but i'm sure it was a greasy scam...
  11. greener

greener Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    May 29, 2005
    I also feel that 17 mgs seems pretty far-fetched... I've been
    prescribed Xanax for years, and while I've never had a dangerous
    overdose, I've certainly had entirely regrettable, uncomfortable, and
    even downright scary experiences at doses under 12 mgs (and that was
    after years of tolerance... Don't EVER try some ridiculous amount
    like that without a complete knowledge of the drug's effect on
    you). If you're only taking them once per month, you should have
    no tolerance to speak of, despite how hardcore one might percieve
    himself to be when it comes to pharms...

That said, I just wanted to add a note that it is never a good idea to
    enter a situation under the impression that you already have a high
    tolerance to a substance which is new to you. I know how it feels
    to require much higher doses of MOST drugs than most people, but I have
    also learned several times that I'm still a lightweight when it comes
    to others. Start small, even if it means wasting a small amount
    of the drug and not getting high as desired.
  12. PenguinPhreak

PenguinPhreak Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Mar 28, 2005
    Notice that he said he takes recreational</span>
    doses once a month, but takes 2-3 .5mgs a day (and 1mgs prior to that).
    I still find it hard to believe that you could develop that much of a
    tolerance that quickly. If you did in fact take as much as you said you
    did without experiencing hardly any effect, there has to be something
    else at work here.
  13. Tavz

Tavz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Nov 25, 2004
    I built up a tolerance to Xanax in two months time and by the end of the 2nd month could easily take 20mgs and not feel much. Now people on here can tell me Im full of shit and theres no way I could take that amount without passing out but its true. We are on the internet, why would I or cleverdemise lie?
  14. powderhead55

powderhead55 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Dec 14, 2005
    Overdosing on Xanax (Alprazolam)

anyone know the estimated limit for xanax? I have 12 bars (2mg) with no tolerance (hasn't done XanaX before) this isn't a "how many can i do before i die" type of question, SWIM hopes it'll last him a couple weekends, it's just something that makes you more comfortable knowing
  15. M3th

M3th Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Mar 23, 2006
    from U.S.A.
    Some people it only takes 2 to attain a mellow high, some people take more. Just depends on the person.
  16. Sitbcknchill

Sitbcknchill Retired Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    Feb 5, 2004
    110 y/o from U.S.A.
    Here is some information regarding alprazolam it's rather long but it's pretty interesting read...

Xanax ( Alprazolam Intensol, Novo-Alprazol )
    In Canada ( Apo-Alpzar, Nu-Alpraz )

Xanax ( Alprazolam ) is an anti-anxiety agent benzodiazepine used primarily for short-term relief of mild to moderate anxiety and nervous tension. Alprazolam is also effective in the treatment of activity depression or panic attacks. It can also be useful in treating irritable bowel syndrome and anxiety due to a neurosis. Xanax ( Alprazolam ) may help the symptoms of PMS if extreme, and, if given with various narcotics, the pain from some cancers. Xanax ( Alprazolam ) is used to relieve anxiety, nervousness, and tension associated with anxiety disorders, agoraphobia, essential tremor, fibromyalgia ( low dosage ), and ringing ears.

* Xanax ( Alprazolam ) is in a class of drugs called benzodiazepines.
    * Xanax ( Alprazolam ) affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety.
    * Xanax ( Alprazolam ) may also be used for purposes other than those listed here.

CLASS: Triazolo Benzodiazepines.
    Generic name: Alprazolam.
    Type: Anti anxiety.

Oral Solution: 0.25mg, 0.5 mg, 1 mg / 5 ml, 0.25mg / 2.5 ml.
    Tablets: 0.25mg, 0.5 mg, 1 mg, 2 mg.

Normal dosage:
    If under 18 years of age, DO NOT USE!

* 18 to 60 years of age, 0.25mg to 1.5mg daily.
    * Over 60 years of age, lower dosage, increased cautiously.
    * Dosages: Actual dosage must be determined by a physician.

Dosage Depends on Disorder:

* Oral (For anxiety or nervous tension):
    Start : 0.25 mg to 0.5 mg 3 times daily.
    Maximum : 4 mg in 24 hours.
    * Oral (For panic disorder):
    Start : 0.5 mg 3 times daily.
    Increases : 1 mg daily in 3 to 4 day intervals.
    Maximum : 10 mg in 24 hours.

Problems with:
    Liver Function: If liver disease is present, start dosage at 0.25mg, increase as needed.
    Kidney Function: N/A.

Before taking: None if for short-term use.
    While taking: None if for short-term use.

Take: With or without food. Take each dose with a full glass of water. Do not crush, chew, or break the extended-release form Alprazolam (Xanax XR). Swallow whole.

Full Benefits: First day to a week.

Missed Dose(s): Take if within one hour ;if over an hour skip and then continue on your normal schedule. Never Take a Double Dose

To Stop Use: Do not stop without consulting your physician and never abruptly if you have been taking it for over three weeks. Seizures may be a side effect of sudden discontinuation of the medication. Your doctor may recommend a gradual reduction in your dose.

Overdose symptoms include: Confusion, loss of consciousness or sleepiness. Can be fatal. Seek emergency medical attention if an overdose is suspected.

Symptoms of an Xanax ( Alprazolam ) overdose include:

* Sleepiness.
    * Dizziness.
    * Confusion.
    * A slow heart beat.
    * Difficulty breathing.
    * Difficulty walking and talking.
    * The appearance of being drunk.
    * Unconsciousness.

Remember: Keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children; never share your medicines with others and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.

* Do not stop taking abruptly.
    * Do not give this drug to anyone who is psychotic.
    * Narcotics may increase the sedative effects of this drug.
    * Do not take other sedatives, benzodiazepines,or sleeping pills with this drug. The combinations could be fatal.
    * Do not drink alcohol when taking benzodiazepines. Alcohol can lower blood pressure and decrease your breathing rate to the point of unconsciousness.
    * The habit-forming potential is high; it is possible to become dependent in the first few days.
    * Do not stop taking this drug abruptly; this could cause psychological and physical withdrawal symptoms.
    * Do not take Alprazolam if you have narrow-angle glaucoma. Alprazolam may worsen this condition.

Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you have:

* kidney disease.
    * liver disease.
    * a history of alcohol or drug abuse.
    * asthma or bronchitis.
    * emphysema.
    * any respiratory disease.
    * depression or suicidal thoughts.
    * mania.
    * bipolar disorder.
    * any psychiatric condition.

Use caution:

* Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities as Xanax ( Alprazolam ) may cause drowsiness or dizziness. If you experience drowsiness or dizziness, avoid these activities. (If it is definite that Xanax ( Alprazolam ) causes drowsiness you cannot then is “If you experience”)
    * Avoid alcohol while taking Xanax ( Alprazolam ) . Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness caused by Xanax ( Alprazolam ) .
    * Do not crush, chew, or break the extended-release form Alprazolam ( Xanax XR ). Swallow whole. These tablets are specially formulated to slowly release the medication in the body.
    * Xanax ( Alprazolam ) is habit forming. You can become physically and psychologically dependent on the medication.
    * Do not take more than the prescribed amount of medication or take it for longer than directed by your doctor.
    * Withdrawal effects may occur if alprazolam is stopped suddenly after several weeks of continuous use.
    * Seizures may be a side effect of sudden discontinuation of the medication.
    * Xanax ( Alprazolam ) may increase the effects of other drugs that cause drowsiness, including antidepressants, alcohol, antihistamines, sedatives ( used to treat insomnia ), pain relievers, anxiety medicines, seizure medicines and muscle relaxants.

Do not use if:

* you had negative reactions to other benzodiazepines
    * you have a history of drug dependence.
    * you have had a stroke.
    * you have multiple sclerosis.
    * you have Alzheimer's disease.
    * you are seriously depressed or if you have other brain disorders.
    * you have myasthenia gravis or acute narrow-angle glaucoma.
    * you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
    * you are breast-feeding.
    * you are under eighteen, and only in small doses with very close monitoring if over sixty.

Inform Physician if: you have a seizure disorder, impaired liver / kidney function, history of alcoholism / drug abuse, psychosis, palpitations or tachycardia.

Xanax ( Alprazolam ) Symptoms or Effects

Common: Clumsiness, Sleepiness, Drowsiness, Dizziness, Depression, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea / Constipation, Difficulty urinating, Vivid dreams, Headache, Dry mouth, Decreased sex drive, and/or changes in behavior.

Rare: Abdominal cramps, blurred vision, dry mouth, racing heartbeat / palpitations, shaking / slurred speech, urination problems, convulsions,hallucinations, memory loss, trouble breathing, staggering / trembling, headache, confusion, sore breast / milk secretion, or irregular menstruation. ( Be consistent in what you capitalize in both “common” and “rare” . Either is fine, it just needs to be consistent. )

Always see physician for these side effects and for severe clumsiness and sleepiness.

See physician NOW:

* Convulsions, hallucinations, memory loss, trouble breathing or staggering / trembling.
    * An allergic reaction (difficulty breathing, closing of the throat, swelling of the lips, face, or tongue or hives.)
    * Sores in the mouth or throat.
    * Yellowing of the skin or eyes.
    * A rash.
    * Hallucinations or severe confusion.
    * Changes in vision.

If you experience any of the above serious side effects, stop taking Alprazolam and seek emergency medical attention or contact your doctor immediately.

Other names by country:

* Xanax® - United States, Australia, United Kingdom
    * Xanax XR® - (an extended release formulation) United States
    * Apo-Alpraz® - Canada (also made by other companies under different names)
    * Xanor® - Finland, Philippines, South Africa, Sweden
    * Kalma® - Australia, New Zealand
    * Ralozam® - Australia, New Zealand
    * Zamhexal® - Australia
    * Alplax® - Argentina
    * Alviz® - Indonesia
    * Alzolam® - India, Malaysia
    * Alprax® - India
    * Tranax® - India
    * Restyl® - Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Qatar, Republic of Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Syria, United Arab Emirates
    * Tranquinal® - Ecuador, Peru
    * Trankimazin® - Spain
    * Tafil® - Costa Rica, Denmark, El Salvador, Germany, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Venezuela
    * Tafil AP® - (an extended release formulation) Mexico
    * Constan® - Japan
    * Solanax® - Japan
    * Zolarem® - Bahrain, Benin, Burkina-Faso, Cyprus, Egypt, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Qatar, Republic of Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra-Leone, South Africa, Sudan, Syria, Tanzania, Tunia, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Zambia, Zimbabwe
    * Zoldac® - Benin, Burkina-Faso, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, India, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra-Leone, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Tunia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
    * Calmax® - Ireland

Xanax ( Alprazolam Intensol, Novo-Alprazol )
    In Canada ( Apo-Alpzar, Nu-Alpraz )

XANAX (alprazolam tablets) is in a class of drugs called benzodiazepines. Controlled clinical trials have demonstrated that XANAX is effective in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder, anxiety associated with depression, and Panic Disorder with or without agoraphobia.

XANAX XR is a prescription medicine for the treatment of panic disorder. XANAX XR is a once daily formulation of XANAX® (alprazolam tablets).

XANAX XR allows patients to take a single daily dose rather than 3 to 4 times per day with XANAX.

About Xanax | Alprazolam Intensol

Xanax (alprazolam) is an anti-panic and anti-anxiety medication. Xanax is in the group of drugs known as benzodiazepines, a class of antidepressants, anti-panic agents, and muscle relaxants. Xanax is only available by prescription.

Xanax is usually used as a short term treatment for major anxiety and certain phobias. Xanax is not usually necessary to relieve everyday stress or anxiety.

Store Xanax away from light and heat. Xanax Side Effects

Xanax side effects are usually temporary, and fade with continued treatment. Higher dosage also increases the risk of side effects. Operating automobiles or heavy machinery is not recommended while taking Xanax. Be aware of how this medication affects you before attempting any potentially dangerous activities.

Common Xanax side effects: drowsiness, fatigue, light-headedness, or speech problems.

Less common Xanax side effects: abdominal cramps, constipation, dry mouth, hyperventilation, blurred vision, nausea, chest pain, change in sex drive, confusion, headache, change in appetite, insomnia, unusual dreams, change in salivation, low blood pressure, racing heartbeat, fainting, nasal congestion, difficulty urinating, sweating, weight change, skin irritation, twitching or tremors, nervous or anxious state, sun sensitivity, respiratory infection, memory impairment, menstrual difficulties, and loss of coordination. Speak to your doctor about any of these effects; your dosage may need to be adjusted or treatment discontinued.

Rare Xanax side effects: difficulty concentrating, slurred or unusual speech, double vision, fear, altered sense of taste, lack of inhibition, muscle cramps or spasms, urination problems, tingling, incontinence, warmth, weakness, change in muscle tone, or yellow eyes and skin. Speak to your doctor if you experience any of these effects; your treatment may need to be discontinued.

Xanax treatment should be discontinued if any of the following occur: hyperexcitement, muscle spasm, anxiety, hallucinations, rage or other hostile behavior, tremors, insomnia, sleeping difficulties or overstimulation.

Cautions: Xanax has been known to interact undesirably with certain medical conditions. Tell your doctor if you have, or have a history of, any of the following conditions:

* Alcohol or drug abuse - may increase likelihood of Xanax dependence
    * Allergic reaction to Xanax, or other benzodiazepine. Always tell your doctor about any allergies before starting a medication.
    * Borderline personality disorder or a history of violent behavior.
    * Brain disease - may increase likelihood of side effects from Xanax
    * Breathing difficulties such as asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, or any other chronic lung disease - Xanax may worsen this condition.
    * Difficulty swallowing - This condition may become more pronounced in children.
    * Epilepsy or seizures - Abruptly starting or stopping treatment with Xanax may increase seizures. Although Xanax can be used as an aid to anti-tremor therapy, it should be used cautiously and strictly according to a doctor's instructions in these cases.
    * Glaucoma - Xanax should not be prescribed to patients with acute narrow-angle glaucoma. Patients receiving treatment for open angle glaucoma should consult their doctor, as Xanax may be an acceptable treatment for them.
    * Hyperactivity
    * Kidney or liver problems - In isolated cases, Xanax has been reported to cause jaundice. If you experience yellowing of the skin or eyes, seek medical treatment immediately. More Xanax may end up in your bloodstream if you have a pre-existing kidney or liver condition, increasing the likelihood of side effects.
    * Major Depression
    * Myasthenia gravis - This autoimmune disorder characterized by muscle weakness may be aggravated by Xanax treatment.
    * Porphyria - Xanax (alprazolam) is listed as an unsafe drug for porphyria, an enzyme deficiency that can cause fragile skin that is sensitive to sunlight, digestive difficulties, anxiety, and reddish-brown urine.
    * Psychosis or other serious mental illness - Xanax has not proved to be an effective treatment for these conditions, and is not recommended.
    * Sleep apnea (temporary suspension of breathing during sleep) - Xanax may worsen this condition. Individuals with sleep apnea should not generally use sedatives as sleep aids. (See Sleep Disorders)

Dependence: Xanax has been known to be habit-forming. Withdrawal symptoms may occur if treatment is discontinued abruptly. Follow your doctor's advice about how much, and how often, you should take Xanax. If you are considering stopping Xanax treatment, ask your doctor how to safely decrease and then stop Xanax. Xanax Interactions

Xanax slows the central nervous system, and should be taken with care with medications that do the same thing. When Xanax is taken with certain other medications, the rate of side effects may increase, and the action of either medication may be increased or altered. Certain medications can cause an undesirable build-up of Xanax in the body. Ask your doctor's advice about combining Xanax with any of the following:

* Alcohol - Xanax should not be mixed with alcohol, it increases the risk of overdose and fatal toxicity.
    * Agenerase (amprenavir)
    * Any medication which may cause drowsiness
    * Antibiotics (esp. macrolide antibiotics) like azithromycin, biaxin, clarythromycin, or erythromycin
    * Antihistamines like Tavist or Benadryl
    * Adalat, Procardia (nifedipine)
    * Antabuse (disulfiram)
    * Antiseizure medication like Cerebyx (fosphenytoin), Dilantin (phenytoin), or Tegretol (carbamazepine).
    * Benzodiazepines of any other type, such as Valium (diazepam), Halcion (triazolam), Restoril (temazepam), Librium (chlordiazepoxide), Tranxene-SD (clorazepate), Paxipam (halazepam), ProSom (estazolam), Klonopin (clonazepam)
    * BuSpar (buspirone) - Can result in oversedation.
    * Cardene (nicardipine)
    * Cordarone (amiodarone)
    * Desyrel (trazodone) - Risk of additive CNS depression.
    * Diflucan (fluconazole)
    * Ergotamine derivatives
    * Grapefruit juice
    * Kava kava - Do not take this herb while taking Xanax.
    * Lanoxin (digoxin)
    * MAO inhibitors such as the antidepressants Nardil or Parnate.
    * Narcotic analgesics of any kind, like Darvon (propoxyphene), Darvocet (propoxyphene, acetaminophen), Demerol (meperidine), Codeine, Percocet (oxycodone, acetaminophen), Vicodin (hydrocodone, acetaminophen), Vicoprofen (hydrocodone and ibuprofen) or OxyContin (oxycodone) may accelerate central nervous system or respiratory depression when taken with Xanax. Also, Xanax may decrease the effectiveness of these medications as pain relievers.
    * Norflex (orphenadrine) - Risk of oversedation.
    * Neoral, Sandimmune (cyclosporine)
    * Nicotine - Heavy smoking may reduce the effectiveness of your treatment.
    * Nizoral (ketoconazole) - Xanax should not be mixed with this antifungal medication.
    * Oral contraceptives - May increase the effects of Xanax.
    * Prilosec (omeprazole) - May increase the effects of Xanax.
    * Rescriptor (delavirdine)
    * Rifamate (isoniazid), Rifater (rifampin), or Mycobutin (rifabutin)
    * Sedatives like Fioricet (butalbital, acetaminophen, and caffeine), Fiorinal (butalbital, aspirin, and caffeine), Phenobarbitol, Seconal, or other barbiturates
    * Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) like Celexa (citalopram), Paxil (paroxetine), Prozac (fluoxetine), Luvox (fluvoxamine), or Zoloft (sertraline).
    * Serzone (nefazodone)
    * Skeletal muscle relaxants such as Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine), Skelaxin (metaxalone), Soma (carisoprodol), or Robaxin (methocarbamol) may cause oversedation in combination with this medication.
    * Sleep medication like Ambien (zolpidem), Sonata (zaleplon), or over the counter sleeping pills should be used with Xanax only as, and if, advised by your doctor.
    * Sporanox (itraconazole) - Xanax should not be mixed with this antifungal medication.
    * Street drugs - Marijuana may increase sedative effects from Xanax.
    * St. John's Wort - Do not take this herb while taking Xanax.
    * Tagamet (cimetidine)
    * Tranquilizers such as Haldol (haloperidol), Mellaril (thioridazine), or Thorazine (chlorpromazine) may cause oversedation.
    * Tricyclic antidepressants such as Elavil (amitriptyline), Asendin (amoxapine), Anafranil (clomipramine), Pertofrane or Norpramin (desipramine), Sinequan (doxepin), Tofranil (imipramine), Aventyl or Pamelor (nortriptyline), Vivactil (protriptyline), and Surmontil (trimipramine), may increase the risk of side effects from Xanax.
    * Valerian - Do not take this herb while taking Xanax.

Talk with your doctor if you are considering mixing an antidepressant and anxiety medication like Xanax with any other antidepressant, or any medication that may cause drowsiness. Anxiety medication can have increased, unexpected, or severe side effects when mixed with other medications that affect the central nervous system. Stimulants of any type may blunt the effectiveness of Xanax. Xanax Dosages

Xanax comes in doses of .25 mg (white oval tablet), .5 mg (pink oval tablet), 1 mg (blue oval tablet), and 2mg (white oblong tablet, scored). The usual starting dose is .25-.5 mg, 3-4 times per day, up to a maximum of 4-6 mg per day, divided among several doses.

Xanax should be taken exactly as your doctor recommends. Don't take more or less than prescribed, and don't double your doses if you should miss one. Take your doctor's advice about how quickly or slowly to ease off Xanax treatment if you plan to stop taking it. Xanax should not be started or stopped abruptly, as it strongly increases the likelihood of side effects. If you have a convulsive disorder, or experience severe muscle spasming, abruptly stopping or starting Xanax could increase these effects.

Xanax overdose symptoms can include confusion, poor coordination, sleepiness, or coma. Seek medical treatment immediately if you suspect an overdose. Xanax and Pregnancy

Xanax is not recommended for women who are breastfeeding, pregnant, or planning to become pregnant. Xanax could cause breathing problems or muscle weakness in an infant. Also, a newborn whose mother had been taking Xanax might experience withdrawal symptoms.

Other benzodiazepines, similar to Xanax, have been seen to cause an increase in birth defects. While Xanax has not been demonstrated to be a high risk factor for birth defects, the possibility exists that it could increase their likelihood. Xanax and Children

Xanax has not been studied for use in children. Xanax and Seniors

Older adults taking Xanax are usually encouraged to start with smaller doses (.25 mg 3-4 times per day) and limit intake to the smallest effective dose. Seniors are more likely to become too heavily sedated, or experience decreased muscle coordination. What Xanax Treats

Xanax has been prescribed as a treatment for:

* Anxiety disorder characterized by unrealistic fears and excessive worries.
    * Panic Disorder, sometimes accompanied by fear of open spaces (agoraphobia).
    * Also for the temporary symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, depression, fear of strangers, irritable bowel, and premenstrual syndrome. Dosage varies.
    * Xanax may be prescribed in low doses to treat fibromyalgia.

Xanax is a trademark of Pharmacia & Upjohn

Do not take ketoconazole (Nizoral) or itraconazole (Sporanox) during treatment with alprazolam without first talking to your doctor. • Alprazolam may increase the effects of other drugs that cause drowsiness, including antidepressants, alcohol, antihistamines, sedatives (used to treat insomnia), pain relievers, anxiety medicines, seizure medicines, and muscle relaxants. Tell your doctor about all medicines that you are taking, and do not take any medicine without first talking to your doctor. • Antacids may decrease the effects of alprazolam. Separate doses of an antacid and alprazolam by several hours whenever possible. • Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with alprazolam. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines, including herbal products.

How it works:

Increases the action of GABA.

17. calmascanbe

calmascanbe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Dec 24, 2005
    If you have no tollerance 2mg. will do you fine. If you do more you might forget the the experiance .Do too mouch and you'll sleep through it. Be carefull for the first time.
    Why do you ask?
  18. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    Feb 26, 2006
    swim's lab rat blacked out on 2 mg during his first trial with xanax. he was completely lucid, social, even insightful, but the next day had no memory of what had happened the night before. I would say start with 1 mg and see how You feels an hour and a half later, maybe have a friend of the lab rat present to let the lab rat know how he/she is acting...
  19. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Sep 28, 2005
    30 y/o from U.K.
    I dont believe either of you im sorry,

The only possible explanation that i can come up with is that you are taking timed release xanax. A dosing for 15mg would easily knock a tolerant person unconcious never mind 17 or 20. But taking 20 and not feeling much! Benzo tolerance can develop quickly but not that quickly, Even if one were to take massive dosages regularly tolerance could not develop that quickly.

On a side note im not really sure what the posative aspect is about taking large doses of Benzo's? Is there really any recreational aspect to ODing?
  20. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Sep 24, 2005
    31 y/o
    In my experience tolerance to xanax develops very very quickly. He has used 4mg one day and gotten great results then 30mg the next day with less effect than the 4mg from the day earlier.

It seems to depend on the person and their use. I have taken over 17mg of xanax many times before without being knocked out or even close to it. He took the large dose chasing the euphoria experienced at lower doses with no tolerance. Moderation is key, only use recreationally a couple times a month otherwise youll end up taking extreme doses with no effect.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.