1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

The attitude of gratitude. What are you grateful for?

Discussion in 'Psychological & social' started by prescriptionperil, Oct 24, 2015.

1. prescriptionperil

prescriptionperil Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Shifting one's focus on the positive elements of one's life can be inspiring. Despite one's addictions or afflictions,
    we all can benefit by expressing our acknowledgement of life's gifts.

Please don't include drugs or a drug experiences in this thread.

I'm grateful for:

The burnished beauty of autumn in Southern New England.

My baby grandson's giggles.

Books.

CC for putting in my Bob Marley avatar.

(You get the drift.)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  2. Chix757

Chix757 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'm so grateful for my kids (obviously)
    The October weather
    My amazing life AND.....
    ROCKINHOCKY, BROKENMAN, HUNTER AND CRISTALLINECOOK
    For being SO smart and that little thing about SAVING MY LIFE ;)

3. UnbrokenMan

UnbrokenMan No Mud, No Spud Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Oh Chix, I just stumbled on to this thread and to see me mentioned here brought tears to my eyes!

I am so happy that I've been able to have a positive influence on you in whatever big or small way that may be.

Before I read that, I was going to say one thing I am grateful for is the community here and the many wonderful people who pull together and support each other through adversity and often bitter physical and emotional pain.

I am grateful that I have food, warmth, shelter and safety above all.

I am grateful for my strength.

I was even grateful before for the rain on my face, and just one breath after another.

I am grateful just to be alive.

Lovely idea for a threat btw - some people have "gratitude buddies" and email 5 things a day they are grateful for, it's an amazing counter to our mind's bias towards the negative.

4. Opah

Opah Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from California, U.S.A.
    After coding out twice in a cath lab [2+ years ago] I'm grateful for every day I spend above ground.

5. Beyondcold

Beyondcold Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o from U.S.A.
    I am grateful for my son, and the years we were able to be close.
    I am grateful I have the memory of the way his breathing changed when he finally fell asleep.
    I am grateful for all the memories we have together.
    I am so grateful and proud to be his father.
    It has been really tough, but I AM grateful for the time we have now.
    I have been letting my sadness over the time we lost, impact our relationship now.
    I am grateful for OP and DF because they gave me a place to be grateful.
    I am grateful that I am still alive and I still have a chance to be a better father.

Thank You so much prescriptionperil for starting this thread.
    I hope I come back at least once a day.

6. babyblue87

babyblue87 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    I am grateful for the love that my family has for me, that I have a roof over my head. I am not drowning in bills and that I am still the people loving girl I was 10 years ago, no matter all the ugliness that I have seen in people.

7. gonzochef

gonzochef Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I am grateful for the air in my lungs and the food on my table and the roof over my head... and for friends, good friends who make me grateful for all these things.

8. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    "I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me... but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life..."
    -American Beauty.

Life most definitely does suck sometimes. But even the stupidest things become a hell of a lot more tolerable when you take a moment to remind yourself that it could all end at any moment.

You only get one shot at life. I'm grateful that I was given the opportunity to experience it as a sentient being, even during the bad times when life throws me a curve. Just have to remember to keep things in perspective. All of the negativity in the world makes the positives seem that much better...

9. UnbrokenMan

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I'm grateful for sleep every night, having experienced 2 months with virtually no sleep at all up to the end of September.

Phungushead, that resonates with me too. I've heard a phrase that goes something like, a turtle swimming through all the oceans of the world, and happening to surface with its head through a rubber ring somewhere in the middle of the Pacific - that's how rare it is to have a human birth. We could of course have been a bacterium (trillions and trillions of those since the dawn of life - far more likely!) or an ant, or a fly, or a parisitic wasp or something horrible.

I am very grateful to be me.

10. Tiahui

Tiahui Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'm grateful that on a night when I can't sleep because of the physical and emotional pain that reveals itself as my body and mind go through a revolution and it all takes me too easily down, down, down, until in the dark night I feel as alone as a man clinging to a board in the vast ocean, exhausted and caught between my will to survive and my fear and pain -- to be able to come here and find folks deep in their own struggles who also can crack the prison window open and let gratitude wash over them and be expressed - showing me there's always more than pain, or misleading voices in my head in the middle of the night driving me crazy -- for that, I am very grateful.

When I was dragged out of my very good life 10 yrs ago kicking and screaming when an unexpected turn of events healthwise started a domino fall, a very wise elder of mine said to me: "If you are enslaved, do not be a slave; if you are imprisoned, do not be a prisoner." Those have been my marching orders since, but sometimes in my weariness it's all too easy to forget.

I'm thankful to be among those who are attempting to live beyond the jailers of their circumstances - kind people who remind me that there's always more that exists beyond these bars. I'm grateful for the smallest glimmers of hope that come with their messages, particularly in the middle of the night when all seems lost.

I'm grateful to be heard, understood and en-couraged here by folks who 'know' - and that there's a board for me to cling to in what can seem like an endless ocean.

11. detoxin momma

detoxin momma Just A Brick In The Wall Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Hiranyaloka
    love it prescriptionperil! great idea for a thread.

phungushead,you just quoted one of the best movies ever made!

I don't know where to start,and I hope I don't forget anything.

first and fore most,i am grateful that I have 3 brilliant beautiful happy healthy children,and that their father holds their well being as high on the priority list as I do.

I am grateful that I am married to a man that can still take my breath away.

I am grateful to be alive,even on the bad days.

grateful to be nothing like my "mother"

grateful to have a father I hold in such high respects.mean or not,hes been an incredible influence on my development.

I am grateful for the amazing view of the sunset I have from my kitchen window,each and every night.

grateful that im able to feed each and every starving animal that wanders onto our property.
    if only they could pack a bag and leave!

grateful that I have encountered more savory do good type people than douchebags.

I am also grateful for every ounce of adversity that has been thrown my way.
    without those experiences I wouldn't be the strong,confident,intelligent,kind,loving woman that I am today.

and I am extremely grateful that I have always marched to the beat of my own drum.

I am grateful for beenthere2hippie.without her guidance and support I never would've stayed at DF,and grown to know so many awesome people.
    on the internet! who'd of thunk it.

im sure more will come to me.
    hope this thread keeps growing PP.

12. UnbrokenMan

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I am MOST grateful for my wireless headphones, they drown out so many external noises and give me peace!

I am grateful that I have a job, and more than that a job I love. Have a long Monday ahead of me and remember how much I used to hate Mondays when I worked a job I really didn't even like much. I'm grateful I can actually do this job now my nemesis substance isn't fucking my life up as much as it was.

As with everyday, I am grateful just to be here, awake and conscious, for another day.

13. Tibby

Tibby Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Whenever I think I have it rough and hear about people who truly have nothing, emotionally or materialistically, I am reminded what hardship really means and am grateful that my life has been an easy ride. I am also grateful for having seen and experienced the best mother nature has to offer.

Very grateful too, for having found this forum frequented by so many exceptional people.

14. lkt004

lkt004 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    That i was born in a country that paid for 8 years of education and allows me to work my own hours, from home for 20.5 of my 38 hours and for only 33 weeks of the year, the rest of the time i am researching from my lab or home. The career that supports our family. That my wife has supported my insane study habits and gave me a second chance to rebuild our family after i tore it to pieces.

15. detoxin momma

Reputation Points:
    from Hiranyaloka
    I am grateful that Karma seems to have served me well so far.

I am grateful for my Kirby vacuum that allows me shampoo the carpets everytime I feel the need!

I am grateful I found an ecig that satisfies me enough to stop smoking right in time for winter :)

and since I cant mention drugs,i'll just say, I am grateful I lost my health insurance.

16. cren

cren Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I have no broken bones

17. detoxin momma

Reputation Points:
    from Hiranyaloka
    im grateful to call cren a friend :)
    and that she has no broken bones to.

18. UnbrokenMan

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I am grateful to be able to come to this thread first thing each day, and remind myself to be grateful for the abundance I have in my life.

I am grateful for the people I ran into on here at a dark time in my life, who helped more than I can ever express in mere words.

I'm grateful I've taken the day off to get some repairs done, and can rest a little.

19. UnbrokenMan

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I am grateful for my sense of humour in adversity.

I'll be grateful if this thread gets an infusion of gratitude, I'll be sure to bump it periodically!

20. TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf Primo Illuminatii Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    52 y/o from Germany
    I am grateful for the people I have met on here and the unconditional help and support I have got as a gift from people I didnt know then.
    Also I'm grateful for the people I have met on here when I was no more a newbie member, for the affection I received that was not forseable.

For every thank you I get, too.

BBW