the cold shower

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by Guest, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    ok so thisis the information that passed on to me, hopefully someone will find it helpful...

when your friend is semi-conscious and starting to nod out, then you stick them in the cold ice bath and try to shock them into waking up and not going out

BUT if they are already passed out, the ice bath will give them hypothermia. at that point just drag them to the hospital or call an ambulance. you might get busted but you'll be saving a life

2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Can anyone comment if this is a good idea?

3. Juko

Juko Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I will. As an educated guess... putting someone in cold water slows down their physiological process. It slows down heart rate and breathing. So my educated guess is that since opiates slow down and ice water slows down someones heart and breathing that could actually speed up exactly what you are trying to prevent.

Maybe really warm water? But yea, I would almost bet that cold water would make it worse.

4. bcubed

bcubed Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    If You has friends who do opiates, or does them youself, s/he should do youself a favor and get naloxone (narcan) from a local needle exchange and learn how to use it.

It could save someone's life.

5. Lady Codone

Lady Codone Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    As far as I know, the whole "sobering up" thing, whether it's with alcohol, opiates, or anything else, just has no merit to it. Coffee, cold showers, loud music, and tons of other "methods" have been disproven, especially when someone has overdosed or gone unconscious. Time is critical when a person od's on a drug, so the only responsible thing to do is call 911...IMMEDIATELY. Waiting even 10 minutes can mean the difference between life and death. Medical centers have drugs that will either reverse the effects or block the absorption of the drug if taken orally, i.e. charcoal, Naloxone, or stomach pumping.

6. Bodom

Bodom Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    How easy would it be for one to obtain some Naloxone?

7. Laudaphun

Laudaphun Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Well, without going into sources all I can tell you is it is not a controlled substance as far as I know (at least in the U.S.) I have also heard of some "trial programs" in some of the major cities where they were distributing narcan to addicts.

8. msmogadon

msmogadon Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from scotland
    Good god please don't anyone EVER do this. I know a guy whos "friends" done this to him. He breathed in the water and is now severely brain damaged :(:eek:

9. Zendo

Zendo Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from new_zealand
    woah sorry to hear that, thats a awfull thing to happen :(