The Dog Who Loved to Suck on Toads

Discussion in 'DMT and Ayahuasca' started by enquirewithin, Oct 26, 2006.

1. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    The Dog Who Loved to Suck on Toads

by Laura Mirsch

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6376594

awww.npr.org_news_images_2006_oct_24_toad_200.jpg
    An innocuous toad -- just don't hold it for too long.

awww.npr.org_news_images_2006_oct_24_lady_200.jpg
    Lady's Addiction: Coming to terms with self-medication.

All Things Considered, October 24, 2006 ยท A dog may be man's best friend. But one dog, Lady, decided she needed more friends -- and she found plenty in the knot of toads living at the local pond. A suburban family's secret struggle with an uncommon addiction comes to light in this personal essay by NPR's Laura Mirsch.

Lady "was really perky, and happy, and generally excited to see you when you came in the door every day," recalls Andrew Mirsch.

But that was before the Mirsch family moved into a new house.
    "We noticed Lady spending an awful lot of time down by the pond in our backyard," Laura Mirsch recalls.
    Lady would wander the area, disoriented and withdrawn, soporific and glassy-eyed.
    "Then, late one night after I'd put the dogs out, Lady wouldn't come in," Laura Mirsch says. "She finally staggered over to me from the cattails. She looked up at me, leaned her head over and opened her mouth like she was going to throw up, and out plopped this disgusting toad."

It turned out the toads were toxic -- and, if licked, the fluids on their skin provided a hallucinogenic effect.
    What followed was the Mirsch family's quest to stop their cocker spaniel from indulging herself. But it wasn't easy. Lady was persistent, and resourceful.

The situation seemed to resolve itself when the toads went into hibernation for the winter.
    But when they returned, so did Lady -- and with a vengeance.

"We couldn't keep our dog's addiction a secret any longer," Laura Mirsch says. "The neighbors all knew that Lady was a drug addict, and soon the other dogs weren't allowed to play with her."

In the end, Lady seems to have found a way to manage her problem.

"She seems to have outgrown the wild toad-obsessed years of her youth," Mirsch says, "and now only sucks on weekends."

2. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    lol, did NPR pick this story up from the Onion? :D

3. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Seems strange that lady would get a pleasant effect from the toads, and even stranger that she didn't die from licking the toads. I wonder what species it is - it looks like Bufo americanus. It would help if they said where Lady lived.
    Note that licking toads has been known to kill dogs, though mostly from cane toads, which are extra toxic..The picture is certainly not a Bufo alvarus...

4. rodent

rodent Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    That is funny!
    It does sound like an Onion story though.
    Maybe I'll write NPR and ask for more details.... though, I doubt they will return an email about such a weird/obscure story.

Ok, I just listened to the audio and it sounds legit... and very funny!
    Dig in a couple links and listen to the audio.

5. jimmah

jimmah Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thank you thank you for this story as I was having a tough day. This tickled SWIM to no end.

So, hmmm, SWIM now wonders is the choice to use hallucinogens again an actual choice or instinct as is shown in the puppy's recurring behavior. Hmmm fascinating. :crazy

Jimmah!!

6. Dj mOonShiNe

Dj mOonShiNe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM loves this story it made him Rolfcopter
    snapper: i think it is, they seem to be quite variable in colouration
    check out this one
    (a trip report unlike most were used to lol)
    http://www.herpindiego.com/YumaTripReport.html[SIZE=-1]although I will be the first to admit he's no herpetologist.
    [SIZE=-1]

7. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Nope.
    That for sure is not an alvarus. I have a close friendship with several, and they always have a tan-brown background with small spots. I have yet to see a variant.
    I am far more suspicious that these are Bufo americanus, the common US toad. The green coloration and larger, darker spot pattern, as well as smaller size, presuming the photo is of an adult, are inconsistent with the appearance of an alvarus. Who knows, though. I could be wrong - it's happened before.