1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Drug info - The First Time Questions and Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by stndguy, Mar 2, 2004.

1. marc00993

marc00993 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Not sure about trying shrooms

Ahh thanks guys new to this website and yea I've been reading up on reports.

2. Nick Nicely

Nick Nicely Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

You should not take them. Mushrooms have the potential to be amongst the most frightening all all hallucinogenics in my experience. Also others may disagree but even a 'good' trip rarely left SWIM in a positive frame of mind, unlike LSD for example, which I used to enjoy a lot. If You has a tendency for lots of thoughts to go round yous head then Mushrooms are only likely to make the feeling worse, its very easy to get fixated on negative thoughts on mushrooms.

3. Space Numpty

Space Numpty Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from england

Yeah just wanted to add weight to the other posters here. That "thinking going on in your head" is called anxiety, and is quite common for people smoking strong weed. The only real way to combat this is to smoke less, or smoke milder, lower grade weed (still in moderation)

Bearing this in mind I would say that shrooms are probably not the best thing for someone prone to anxiety and unsure of weather they want to, to take. As others have said, research it well and know what yous getting into at the very least before he makes a decision. A good shroom trip can be amazing, but a bad one can be equally as horrifying.

SWIM safe :thumbsup:

4. godztear

godztear Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from Minnesota, U.S.A.

On that note, I have pressured himself into taking Magic Mushrooms once before in the past (not the first time trip but after experienced), along with a trip buddy who took the same amount. It turned out very badly for I even though his buddy had a great time. I had to remove himself from the situation and force his thoughts out of his mind while he rolled around on the couch trying to go to sleep.

I was actually excited to take them, but over anxiety about taking the mushrooms led to one horrible night. Research the shroomies, find out if it is the drug that one wishes to take. When taken make sure one is in a very relaxed mood and ready to have fun on his new adventure. Do not take mushrooms alone, or one may find themselves doing very odd things or worse.

5. purelibertine

purelibertine Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from U.S.A.

As everyone suggested, research first... There are lots of ways to help one have a good trip and avoid a bad trip. Not foolproof but it can make a huge difference.

If You does decide to take them, start with a small dose and do it with a close friend who You doesn't feel anxious around. Give oneself lots of time the day of and the following day to feel 'back to normal' before going back to work/school/family/etc.

It really depends on the individual. A previous poster mentioned shrooms being potentially the most frightening hallucinogenic and that LSD left him in a better state of mind. I have found that to be the exact opposite... shrooms leave her feeling bubbly and cheerful and LSD leaves her feeling a little 'off'.

I know what you mean about smoking weed and getting caught up in ones thoughts... I do not think smoking lower grade weed helps like one person said... I have found that smoking low grade weed is worse and not as clean & clear of a high. Then again smoking super grade weed can have one uncomfortably stoned so I would recommend smoking just a little bit of midgrade...

Anyway, I have anxiety and depression but has found all her experiences with mushrooms to be pleasant. But Swim also knows that it does have the potential to be very unpleasant and if You isn't prepared to handle an unpleasant trip then it would be best to avoid it entirely until a time when You is in a better mental state.

6. homer2020

homer2020 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from U.S.A.

SWIM won't repeat what everyone said. He will give you his experience on the issue. He wasn't sure about doing it either due to his issues with smoking weed. With weed he tends to be very anxious, has stupid thought loops, paranoid about everything, and a constant thinking (he usually is but the voice in his head gets louder so to speak). So he was hesitant about shrooms, but when day he thought "hey why not, I mean I'm not taking much and it will stop at some point". So he went to a friends house one night told him what he was doing so we just gamed until effects started kicking in. He won't tell you the whole story, long story short he LOVED it. There was a constant thought process going on there, but it wasn't very bothersome... it was more normal (sort of). Now he's not saying this won't happen to you. Don't do it until you feel comfortable doing it, remember it isn't weed it is a whole different experience, this could be good or bad you will have to decide that. Reading trip reports might seem a little scary right now because most people post their herioc dose, trust me a low dose trip is nothing like what you might be reading. You won't know how much is a low dose until you work your way up. START LOW!!! you might lose some money testing the waters, but it's better than losing your mind.

7. marc00993

marc00993 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I also have another question about shrooms. He has a loving for opiods lately and was wondering if one would feel an opiod such as oxycontin while taking shrooms and if so what it would be like?

8. hunter1181

hunter1181 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o from U.S.A.
    First time...questions and advice

Alright so on My list to do before summer is try the drug hes always wanted to try...magic mushrooms haha
    I did look at other threads so please dont yell at him if he asks an answered question

So basically SWIM wondering how dilated do yours eyes get and for how long before they look reasonably normal? I am debating if he should take them in the morning and leave the house for the day so relatives don't know, or if he should take them at night while everyone is sleeping....and would he have the sense to not do something stupid and dangerous like chase cars, etc.

And lastly would mushrooms show up on a piss test and for how long if they do?
    Thanks and hopefully SWIM can help with others once he gets experienced :)

9. tsm554

tsm554 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Re: First time...questions and advice

it really really depends on the shrooms and how many is taken so You should do more research, these both sound like potentially bad situations, You could easily get massively freaked out by strangers and vice versa and You could easily wake up the relatives and get busted

tsm554 added 2 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

best situation:

with friends out in nature with no chance of anyone undesired turning up (reduces paranoia for one thing)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  10. psychedelia

psychedelia Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

In SWIM's experience, pupils do get really large for the entire experience. Too large to hide. This will last for the entire trip, about 6 hours in SWIM's experiences.

Take them at night I say. The visuals people get are much more visible in the dark, but it's your decision. Just in SWIM's opinion. Generally, You should be sane enough to not chase cars if You doesn't take too much. So just be careful.

But as for drug testing, mushrooms are not usually tested for and I believe they can't be detected easily so You should be safe.

11. fiveleggedrat

fiveleggedrat Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

You guys should spend about a year or two at least reading, thoroughly, on mushrooms and psychedelics, before consuming such.

The issues mentioned and concerns listed imply an unreadyness for this type of experience. I mean, go ahead, enjoy some free, early life schizophrenia if one wants. But going in prepared will prevent sooooooooooo many problems, issues, and etc.

Be smart about it. Be smart going in!

12. KingMe

KingMe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

I would recommend:
    - going for a low dose at first (think around 1,5g dried P cubensis, but under 2g)
    - pupils get large, but nothing too freaky, it can go unnoticed, but if people are in close proximity and looking for it... thats a different story. it also depends on the dosage, the larger, the larger the pupils. Usually towards the end of the trip they get more and more normal. Another thing to consider is that at night pupils are large anyway.
    - I would recommend taking them during the day, if nothing else because I usually like being in nature, it seems to help the experience, and the nausea as well. Also, things are a bit milder, with the visions being a bit more controllable, more in the realm of the known, less likely to cause panic
    - sense is usually preserved during the trip, but this is also dose dependant. being new to the substance means one must start low. this is more likely to let you be in more control and thus enjoy the experience more fully
    - as for the piss test, in my experience psylocin is not somehting usually tested for (unless they look for it), but if tested, I believe they can detect it for at least a couple of days after.

best of luck

13. pumbatwang

pumbatwang Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ok so my pet goldfish was going to try some mushrooms this weekend and he was told buy his dealer that it's a good i dea to take vitamin c pills everyday for a week including the day he takes them for a better trip. is there any truth to this?

14. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Not really beyond the fact that vitamin C will help ensure the takers system is in good condition & not run down. A Certain Mouse always found being in reasonable condition physically made a positive difference to his experiences, & he tells me that some of his worst trips were when he was feeling run down.

15. hunter1181

hunter1181 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o from U.S.A.

Thanks for the advice and all, My friends and I decided to chill at one of their houses so we can have music and all the good stuff, gonna do it this or next week most likely, I will tell how it went ^_^

16. pumbatwang

pumbatwang Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    well that makes sense, you wouldn't take them if you were not mentally sound why would you if you were not physically sound. very interesting.

17. thomaspaine

thomaspaine Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have a 2gram cap and 3 grams of stem/caps. I want to eat them all and is a experienced in delics. Just not sure how potent and would like to share if possible lol

18. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    I have no idea what Delics are, please explain.
    5 grams dried cubensis is a strong dose, and unless You is used to such doses I would advise against it.

If You wants clear answers then they should ask clear questions.
    Is the 5 gram dry or wet?
    What type of mushrooms are they?
    What are Delics?

As for potency, no one can tell You how potent they are unless they have sampled the same batch. They could be very week or very strong. Its always best to presume they are of optimal strength when dosing.

19. Coconut

Coconut Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Psychedelics.

thomaspaine, please refrain from using shorthand or slang as this is an international forum; we are not all privy to colloquialisms which may be confined to your local area.

20. robotripper

robotripper Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    My first time shroom plan.

Ok swims happy to say that he will be adventuring on his very first shroom trip this coming friday (he plans on taking 2g as a starter dose), I had a few questions.

-I get off work 11PM on friday which is when he plans on tripping, I had a short bike ride back to his home but he would like to dose early as possible after work. And since the prospect of making shroom tea after a long day at work doesn't exactly sound pleasant...

Q1: He would like to know, Instead of shroom tea can the "shroom water" that was created be added to kool-aid and sugar and stored in swims bag untill the end of work so he can dose right after work?

(the amount of time it would be stored un-used for would be approximately 12-9 hours).

His exact plan was to-
    1) Heat a water bottels worth of water (in a pot of course) on medium with chopped shrooms in it for about 15-20 minutes.
    2) filter out shroom pieces using coffee filter into a container of sorts
    3)funnel the "shroom water" back into the water bottle
    4)store water bottle in bag and go to work
    5) finish work, add 2 kool-aid singles into the water bottle, shake, swallow, and have a good time :)

Q2: can the actives in shrooms be stored for that long without degrading allot, to the point of being almost useless?

Q3: will the drink be bearable to drink without vomiting? and by bearable swim means easy're to drink than chugging robotussin.

Q4: I has told me he also plans on picking up 2 grams of marijuana, he would like to know if it would be a good idea to blaze, before the onset, during the come up, or while tripping. And what if any increased effects a newbie shroom user would feel from a joint.

Thank you for reading my friends question as he looks forward to hearing back form the DF community.